RIP Shamans

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Millianna, Feb 14, 2018.

1. smash Augur

Let me wake you a bit up.

When you made your character, there were certain roles a class has, and which you also read. Which is that a shaman is a priest, which primarily abilities of healer and some other roles, you also have.

So nobody shoved archtype down your throat.

You KNEW your role from day one, if you not read it, then you have only yourself to blame.

Your bad luck is that some mistake happened, and it did take a bit too long to be corrected, if it had been corrected earlier, you would not have been so upset
  2. Horyuken Augur

Not reading this entire thread. My take on this is; I play a shaman during raids, I can heal an entire group of DPS, and also using the right combinations, can effectively heal an entire raid.

I'm pretty sure that if I keep 2-3 rogues, zerkers, monks alive the duration of the event that is far more DPS then I could do focusing on doting the mob. Between alliance, rebuffing people, surge, casting gift, and keeping my group alive dots have always been an after thought for me.

I prefer to be top on a heal parse.
    Vexana_Lanys likes this.
  3. Fohpo Augur

Allow me to help you a bit, refer to your own quote - specifically the bold and italicized portion. Yes, they are a priest that has the ability to fulfill other roles. That statement is rather vague, and for a long time you could do some damage as a shaman, especially given specific gearing and AA. While priest dots were probably overtuned, some people are just trying to say that the pendulum is seemingly only swinging between extremes and that there is a better spot in the middle.

There's little reason that they shouldn't be able to supplement damage by throwing out dots and such, just as long as it doesn't surprise a pure damage dealing class.
  4. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Funny, I was considering making a post yesterday about the pendulum effect and EQ. Seems DBG could be renamed Pendulum Software, cause they never seem to do anything moderately, always from one extreme to another.
  5. Millianna Augur

The only true priest class prior to the end SoV start of SoL was clerics (CH update). A shaman was originally designed as a hybrid class. Now, I’m not saying the DoTs were not OP- I am saying it doesn’t matter based on the current shaman population. If there was as many shamans as the smallest of knight class, then I could understand the nerf, but even so, this is over done.
  6. smash Augur

I were druid all the way until to TBS, and there primarily role were healer, and my cousin were shaman, and role there were also healer/slower/debuffer.

Stopped being that and swapped to beastlord, and he to tank, because healers were just too boring. The role as dps were always tiny parts for both of us.
  7. Siddar Augur

They had time to observe shaman and druid DPS in action. These change show they didn't have trouble with the mana costs. They thought they were about right it seems. They had a problem with DPS so they cut the DPS rate and left the mana costs the same.

I'm sure this issue will spread away from DoT's over time to Nukes as well.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I’d argue the lowish shm population has a lot more to do with what the class actually does in modern raids. Healing, debuffing, buffing, rezzing and adps aren’t particularly fun roles to a lot people, despite their importance. Not to mention being responsible for 5 of the squishier and most at risk people in the raid every night with less “oh crap” heal buttons than clerics.
    IblisTheMage, Cloudia and SoroxDrinal like this.
  9. Lheo Augur

why stop there how about nerfing sham slow to 8% :D?
  10. Millianna Augur

I’m going to argue it has more to do with ability to molo efficiently in group content.
  11. Ghubuk Augur

ROFL, with slow mitigation it is almost there anyway, isn't it?
  12. bigpapa Augur

Our guild already struggle for raids with DPS check , we can barely kill queen , but with the nerf on shm and druid, it will be even harder for lower end guilds to progress...

ps: BTW I am the only shaman there ,and since months ( almost a year ),

except when we do a joint raid.
  13. Tucoh Augur

I parsed Turgurs and Tirgirs at 20% and sluggish at 11%
  14. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

We’ve had shm actually wipe the raid due to overdotting a few separate times, either killing things we weren’t ready to kill or spawning more add waves prematurely. Fun times.
    Axxius and Sancus like this.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

If so, then they didn't observe anything but raids. In the group/molo/solo game, it makes no sense at all.
    Mordeen likes this.
  16. Jetslam Augur

On events that don't need much group healing, you can easily keep everyone alive while focusing 100% on dots.

On cactus/T2.1 raids, I would go full dps and easily top a parse. My best for a 15-17m cactus raid was around 350k and best for a 5m T2.1 raid was 515k Neither of those bests used vet aa. And I was in a melee group with spam splashes every time it was up, epics clicked every 3m, and nobody in my group died. That's an extra ~350m / 150m damage that I put out on those events at 0 expense to my group/raid's health.

I think that the dmg decrease is probably about right, but the mana usage/ratio needs to be brought down to match what it was previously. As someone else said, using a single full round of dots did probably 50% mana usage (80-90k) for me. That needs to be brought down to match the decrease in damage. While raids don't really pose much mana usage issues unless you die (raids only last 5-18m), it's not feasible in the group game to do any kind of dps (50k+) without going OOM pretty quickly.
    mmats, Sancus and SoroxDrinal like this.
  17. Jetslam Augur

18. eqgamer Augur

Personally I was tired of my shammy snaggin aggro off me from time-to-time. He’s part so he likes to die in those instances.

Uh. G. I. M. P. Is filtered? Lol
  19. Horyuken Augur

Yep, but I don't think the intended focus of a shaman was ever intended to be dots? But who knows at this point in the game, we have had hundreds of developers and several executive producers so I'm not sure anyone knows what the original vision was.....
  20. Sancus Augur

I think the most fun time was the first time they boosted Shaman DoTs and we took Gorenaire from 100% to 5% in like <60 seconds. That was a lot of adds...
    Axxius, Tucoh and Sheex like this.