Re-tuned HAs

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Galien, Jan 17, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Tamaden Elder

DB is not required of making old content to go pass level it was originally intended for, so i don't want to hear anything about it's not going to 110, Thank you.....
    Gyurika Godofwar and mmats like this.
  2. Tamaden Elder

New level cap came, it's 110 now, get over it. Old is old, and THANK YOU very, very much DB.
    mmats likes this.
  3. Schadenfreude Augur

Just ran through Into the Hills with a Cleric merc at 110. All mobs conned light blue and had very low HPs and DPS. The final hail reward was 23 AAs with the Test bonus but no other xp modifiers running.
    Rickoshay, Quatr and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Mezz Lorekeeper

Sorry, this is poor thinking. DBC is in the business of pleasing customers, which is the only way they can convince us to part with our money to pay their salaries. So if scaling to 110 makes customers happier than other choices they make, they should scale to 110. It is debatable whether that is the case, but your "not required" argument doesn't hold water.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im not sure what the test bonus is, but if it means we will get 11 AAs for that quest on live servers, then its not too bad considering that it is a light-blue level 100 quest...It is still better xp than some of the RoF-quests...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  6. mmats Augur

I am very pleased that DBG decided to stop scaling at the expansion in which the missions were released.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  7. I_Love_My_Bandwidth Mercslayer

Any scaling at all beyond the max level of the expansion the HA originated from is simply broken.

I'll make it plain and simple -- if you want experience, hunt in level-appropriate content.
    Caell and mmats like this.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Older HAs will still be xp-relevant for level appropriate players, and there are still plenty of level 100+ zones in the game.
    This change is a blessing if you like to go back and catch up on previously skipped progression/achievements. :)
  9. Tornicade_IV Augur

The increase from COTF to TDS was relatively small compared to the boost at from TBM to EOK then another substantial boost from EOK to ROS.

so If this content was gonna continue to scale up at some point if you wanted the content to actually be done it would need to be itemized .

while I wasn't expecting the HA's to be capped scaled their solution is probably the best one.

Now if they come out with another HA based expansion they don't have to worry about Scaling the two older expansion. This also applied if they increase the levels again as it saves them from having to go back and retune old content again.

I like the solution
  10. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Don't disagree. I think its a good change. But to be fair, that was the entire point of HAs. They wanted them to scale forever. I mean, they specifically talked about it when introducing them.
    Gialana and Peltier like this.
  11. Peltier Elder

I personally feel they should scale all HA's xp to be the weakest form of xp in the game. They should push for twice the xp gains in standard open world zones, then what is given to HA's.
  12. mmats Augur

They messed up tying it to progression, and also the fact that rewards didnt scale with difficulty after 105+.
    I_Love_My_Bandwidth and Niskin like this.
  13. Jumbur Improved Familiar

The problem with eternally scaling HA's is that it won't be a proper risk vs. reward, when they don't re-itemize them based on their level. Older HA's don't drop new spells or gear(there are a few good old skill-augs for certain classes, but still...) for the players that are higher than the "original level". They also functioned as a content blocker progression-wise, if you still needed CotF-progression.

The upscaling also ruined the 2 TBM plane-raids.

I wonder if highlevels gets less completion coins than if you do when level appropriate. I still need a proc aug from the TDS-vendor...:p
    mmats likes this.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

The concept of HA's scaling up to provide more content is a good one but the execution and lack of forward thinking is what lead us to this point imo. Some of the old monster missions (which I hate and don't recommend bring back these) had difficulty options and LDON missions did also if I recall. If they would have or will consider adding this feature to HA's in the future it will provide the best of both worlds imo. Normal difficulty does not scale past the intended level cap for the expansion and has base item drops while hard difficulty scales up and has drops relevant to what level you are currently at. This system would provide more options for players to grind in while also allowing people to work through progression reasonably. I am not saying this is something that I want them to devote time to now as I am happy that I will be able to complete things again but its at least something for the devs to consider.

Another consideration in regards to new content going forward in terms of missions is to also have difficulty level options for said missions with different currencies depending on the level you select. Normal difficulty would be aimed more towards group geared players and offer currency that buys lesser items while hard difficulty would be aimed more towards the raid geared players and offer a currency that buys better items than the normal difficulty level can buy. This will provide more challenging content for raiders while making content achievable by your average group. Trying to balance this game to make it challenging enough for raiders while also making it manageable by group geared people is the obvious goal and needs to be something of serious consideration to keep both groups happy paying customers.
  15. Tornicade_IV Augur

They would of ended up doing the same thing for a normal hard mode. set up for ha's
    They base scaling for 110 COTF and TBM HA missions would of left content trivial for both Hard and Normal modes. If they aren't trivial then an updated itemization would of needed to be added.
    EOK was a big bump in content in itemization. followed by ROS another big bump in itemization and content. The difference between TDS Tuning and ROS is huge and difficult to balance.

If the devs aren't willing or have the time to maintain it then it needed to cutoff just like regular static content.

Devs tried the quick fix to prevent the HA's from being trivialized and all it didnt was create content that was seriously out of whack with content vs reward on the other end of the spectrum especially when the tuning was increasing the difficulty for the level 101-105 ha versions.
  16. Tamaden Elder

I can not explain why scaling of progression content is a bad idea to player that don't do progression in any way, just grind to max and leaves till next year, or just very dumb people that can't use their own brain to think of consequences of scaling even with long and painful 1,300 posts worth of explanations in this thread. So just don't worry your "special" little head and trust me, it's bad.
  17. Zhaunil_AB Augur

I didn't see that talk when they introduced them; the release announcement at least hold no such indication.
    Yet, they still can "scale them forever" if they so choose (and update the rewards too) - the only thing that should be a given is the option to do them at original max level.
    Tamaden likes this.
  18. Fohpo Augur

To be honest, the "nerf" is still generous. Granted my internet decided to crash on me before finishing, I started "Into the Hills" on test and by the time I got to the named, had already gained ~5 AA just from kills. I am assuming that by the end, it would have been in the ballpark of 20-30 and still seemed like a relevant way to level an alt.

Is it fantastic? No, but it seems more than fair.
    Gyurika Godofwar, Quatr and Daedly like this.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Going to reply to myself to add some thoughts.

It occurred to me that the HA's are probably still using the new mob templates, but with the level caps it mitigates things enough where that doesn't matter. One of those light blue stumps hit me for 12-13k, which I've never seen the white con version do in that HA before. Now it only did that once, where as the ones that were scaled to 105 before the changes could quad with 10k hits and drop you 40k, or 80k if it did that two rounds in a row. I was tanking two of the light blues and the damage was coming in slow, healer merc was on balanced and there were no scares.

I couldn't tell if the hit points were inflated for a light blue mob, will have to fight more to find out. Either way it seemed manageable.
  20. Gialana Augur

I don't remember if there was talk about it when CotF was realeased other than saying the content is supposed to scale to the level of the highest character in your group. But I do remember comments from red names on these forums that said they would scale beyond the max level of the expansion they were introduced in. I don't remember if it was when they added lockouts or when they increased the difficulty of level 101-105 CotF HAs, but the posts went something along the lines of this: The reason we're doing X or Y is because when there's a level increase expansion, the HAs will scale to that level and continue to be the best experience.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.