Spell damage??

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Critts, Feb 13, 2018.

1. fransisco Augur

Looking at Kinzat's dps tool, a swing of 1000 spell damage could be ~2.5% dps change (not using any adps).

So its mostly just about having higher numbers on your character sheet.
  2. Cicelee Augur

So 200k vs 195k on a raid parse. I reckon every DPS class would want the 200k parse over the 195k parse on every day that ends in the letter y...
    EnchFWO likes this.
  3. fransisco Augur

true, but adding 1000pts of spell damage? You cannot make gear choices like that.
  4. Fohpo Augur

And that's before aDPS right? So multipliers can do some crazy things with that kind of difference.
  5. kizant Augur

Someone should write an app that helps you optimize stats. Like what's the best combination to have as much mana as possible while keeping spell damage > X.
  6. Fohpo Augur

[IMG]
  7. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I know that not having enough HME (or rather, just HM for casters) can cause problems, particularly with surviving AEs. And mana pool (HInt or raw mana) might be a concern in longer fights or long sustain.

But as previously mentioned here, Spell Damage is really the only stat that increases DPS for any caster that isn't running OOM during a fight. So even though it does very little (I don't think it is affected at all by ADPS or anything else?), it is still the ONLY stat that will provide any increase to a caster's damage output.

Is my understanding wrong? This means that, regarding gear, casters probably should only be considering:

Foci > Spell Damage > mana pool (raw mana and Hint/Hwis) > hp (raw HP and Hsta)
  8. fransisco Augur

Its too bad that spell damage doesn't have remotely the same effect that hDex does for melee.
    IF you went from zero type 7 augs to all type 7 augs with 50 spell damage, you would only add about 1k spell damage.
    So while the number 1000 looks big, actual gear choices offer differences of like 5-10. And unlike hdex, 25 spell damage isn't a 1% increase
  9. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Speaking of Mod3s... is Clairvoyance still like a 2% chance to work? I'm honestly shocked they haven't introduced an AA line to increase the likelihood Clairvoyance rolls a success. If they had some AAs that bumped that up to 10% like GoM or 20% to reflect its obviously less powerful aspect... I could see that being made an alternate gearing focus.
  10. S33k3r Augur

The last time I looked at Spell damage was back in Jan 2017 and I remember posting the following in my guild's forums.

I have 1298 SD (no powersource) this means I get the following extra from Spell Damage:-
    • Each weapon/belt proc gets an extra 324 (2041 crit) damage (I have 4 in total). i.e. SD x 0.25
    • Dichotomic Winds - 1083 + 1 (6823 + 6 crit) this spell does 1 damage and procs a nuke/heal.
    • Anabatic Roar - 2410 (15183 crit)
    • Winter's Wildflame - 1480 (9010 crit)
    • Remote Sunflash - 4635 (29201 crit)
    Our Remotes benefit from SD due to 24 sec recast and it really helps that with AAs we can reduce recast to 16 secs.

Looking at last W&D fight I'm guessing that SD accounting for at least the following damage :-
    53 Anabatic Roars - 510k
    53 Winter's Wildflame - 314k
    24 Remote Sunflash - 445k
    22 Dichotomic Winds - 95k
    22 NFW - 280k
    Weapon procs - 294k
    Total = 1938k or 3% of my total damage was from Spell Damage.

I was a little conservative going with 6.3 Crit mod, 60% crit chance and only 2 procs per spell so I suspect it's probably closer to 5% of my total damage.

Not a game changer but every little helps.
    NameAlreadyInUse likes this.
  11. Critts Augur

I am currently ranked # 1 on magelo for wizard spell damage the # 50 has about 736 less then I do.
  12. kizant Augur

The #50 guy quit a while ago and was missing a lot of augs in the first place and didn't have a good power source. I could see maybe 250 or something based on gear choices. I wouldn't really worry much about it till it's at least 500+. Also, where's your TBM belt? That outweighs the spell damage loss by a ton.
  13. tnot Elder

Disagree. When I raided I geared my Mage in HP/Hsta augs. A few k p d s to a raid force is inconsequential, it's vanity on the part of the individual. A raiding silk class should gear for survivability from AEs, 7-10k hips can make a big difference, A dead caster does no dmg.
    kizant likes this.
  14. tnot Elder

Yeah but all gear has spell dmg, it is not a zero sum game, by prioritizing spell dmg you likely gained 1-1.5% DPS, but how many hit points did you lose? How many times did you die to an AE where you could have survived with 5k - 10k more hit points? If the answer is even once you lost 100% of your damage. It would take you 90-100 successful encounters to make up for that loss of DPS to your raid force.
  15. Critts Augur

I die very Seldomly. Truth of the matter I’m much more likely to be killed (on a raid) by a wizard feedback spell then stolen Agro or an AE. (Risk vs. reward) Now if the caster in question is having a problem dieing or goin oom that’s different.
  16. Critts Augur

I switched it out for the raid TS belt. Belts a decent upgrade (overall) over the three year old one. This is kind of what I’m talking about we shouldn’t be forced to pick Between a 3 year old belt or a new belt that just doesn’t cut it for a reason like that. Like why are we still useing a lv 85 aug in our range slot? Just give use an upgraded version.
  17. S33k3r Augur

I'm in the same situation as Critts.

I usually gear up for Focus Effect/Mana/HWis/SD/HA and maybe lose 5k HP compared to going for HP. It's rare that I'm killed by an AE (more likely to DoT myself to death), in fact the last time that happened was pre-RoS when I mis-timed hiding from Queen and was dotted by her & warcasters :(

I also upgraded from TBM belt to raid TS Belt as I was fed up with wearing such an old belt that only accounted for < 1% of my total damage.
    Ambition likes this.
  18. Critts Augur

Yea my statement could have been a bit missleading. Amoung the top let’s say 20 25 wizards there is going to be a range of around 250 - 375 SD and some of that is going to be because of Trophies.
    kizant likes this.
  19. kizant Augur

During a burn you can good DPS out of that belt. With fury of the gods it becomes a 4745 damage proc. Looking at my logs it's hitting for this:
    Kizant delivers a critical blast! (60179).

Factor in Twinproc and it probably averages 72k and when you're twincasting you're pretty much guaranteed 1 proc per each time you cast skyfire/icefloe. You should get a good 25k DPS out of it at that point. The new belt will do 6k each time so 1/12 the damage. I'd also estimate the TBM belts damage in this scenario to the equivalent of around an extra 1700 spell damage. And that's only using a standard rotation. Factor in manaburn and a more ideal case it's even a good deal more. That's why the devs really don't like that belt.
    Venau and Sancus like this.
  20. Pistols4Pandas Elder

Can you guys link the belt you're talking about?