Windows XP/Vista

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by valiantSeven, Feb 9, 2018.

1. Scorrpio Augur

Ok, a bit more detail on that please.
    If a whole prebuilt was cheaper than a new video card, it means that prebuilt has a heck of a lot worse card than one you were considering. And while powerhouse hards like GTX1080 are quite scarce due to Ethereum mining craze, and tend to push $1k, a GTX1050 4gb can be had for around $200. And while it might not drive the latest stuff at high settings in 4K, it can sure handle EQ.

Now to the subject of failed hard drive. For a one month PC it is not acceptable. What brand it is, and what sort of case it has? In recent years I had quite a few PCs brought in by friends/neighbors and the problem was failed or failing HDD because case was one of those slim affairs with zero HDD airflow, causing the spinner dtive to pretty much get cooked. If that sounds like your situation, you really ought to go for an SSD, cause another spinner is not likely to last long either.
  2. Metanis Bad Company

I love Windows XP. I have 2 machines in the basement still running it. But they don't do anything Internet related!

If you are running XP on an Internet connected machine then you are a virus vector and should be sent to North Korea for reeducation.
  3. Sissruukk Rogue One

Not sure when the last time you changed a bulb on a US car, but most US vehicles, such as my 2006 GMC Sierra 1500 only require changing the bulb now, not the full assembly. I should know, because I recently did this. Besides, when you go to the store now, most of what you see are bulbs, not full headlights now (it has been that way for quite a while). On top of that, you can now buy LED bulbs instead of halogens. So, your US car bashing analogy is a bit off.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Kolani Augur

Scorrpio: 1050s were out of stock and running for $800+ on the resale market when I needed it. The prebuilt had a 1050 in it and was $700.
  5. Scorrpio Augur

Weird. You sure it was 1050? I was looking for a card about a month ago, and 1050s were definitely available for about $200-250 back then as well. But I was looking to upgrade a GTX970 to either 1070 or 1080 in order to better drive Oculus Rift, and it was 1070s priced the way you described.
  6. Kolani Augur

Yeah, it was a 1050. Newegg was out of stock for first party sellers, third party sellers there, on Amazon and on ebay were all $800+. Cyberpower had a Ryzen 3/1050 box for $750, and even it got delayed on shipping, but managed to arrive just before the old card croaked.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Would be nice if they had learned something in the meantime.
    Was certainly like i said when i was there last time (on US models, less so on European brands) but yes, that's been a while.
    And i've even seen this recently on some Chrysler import here, so forgive me for thinking they'd not refit their export versions for more waste than they do on their domestic sales.
    If it's no longer the way, then so much the better - but the "ex and hop" IS typical american still.
  8. Narogg Augur

Guys the newer video cards like the GTX1050 GTX1060 GTX1070 GTX1080 do not have direct x 9 acceleration hardware. Your EQ is gonna run so bad your gonna beat your head on the wall. I gave away my GTX1060.

The highest known by me to work card with EQ is the GTX 980TI
  9. Narogg Augur

I think i found a post where you bough that first card! I bet its not dead at all, your just experiencing the game without Direct X 9 Acceleration due to a driver update that was forced on you by GeForce Experience or by a windows update. SO DONT throw it out!

In fact, reinstall it, load up steam and load a direct X 11 game and I betcha it goes to working!
  10. Sissruukk Rogue One

I use a GTX 1070, and don't have any problems at all with EQ. I even run multiple instances of the game on dual monitors on the same card with no issue, using latest driver downloads.
  11. Sancus Augur

I used to use a 980 and now use a 1080. I've never had issues with EQ performance.
  12. Kolani Augur

No, the card was visibly dying, artifacting and screen shifting. I tried to power that PC up to get some files off it on Thursday and I had to remove the card and plug it to motherboard video to get display. And I'm having zero issues with EQ on a 1050, I alt tab two boxed with radial flora, shadows on and particles cranked to max for like a week before I got tired of it.
  13. Narogg Augur

Just for giggles, is the GPU being used now on these cards or did they software patch the drivers for Direct X9?
    just click everquest.exe and hit the gpu tab

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/downloads/process-explorer

My GT 740 is using direct X 9 Accelleration and is using 4.5 % of processor and ~ 35 % video card GPU.
    What are you seeing on those cards?
  14. Sissruukk Rogue One

If I am reading this right, my eqgame.exe is using anywhere between 1.84%-2.08% CPU, and 1.95-2.62% GPU.
  15. Sancus Augur

~8% processor and ~29% GPU.

I've had my 1080 since about a month after it came out, which was before the 1060 even came out. I don't think it was a recent software patch. Never had an issue with EQ.
  16. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Anything below 50 is not a gaming card. So a 710, 720,730 and 740 are not designed specifically for gaming. A 750, 760, 770, 780 would be designed for gaming and on up or even the other way with 200, 400, 500 and 600 series cards.
  17. Zamiam Augur

I have a GTX 1060 and have no problems running multiple instances of EQ also with a dual monitor setup ..
    Reht likes this.
  18. zzaK New Member

so i loaded up the test server to check on the update with regard to Windows 7 minimum (at this point, they give a notification if you are below that). I run xubuntu 16.04 / linux 4.13.0-32 atm / wine 2.12...

no message on login. so I'm optimistic this will be ok for now
  19. fransisco Augur

I hear a bucket of water is the best way to protect a computer running xp/vista
  20. Scorrpio Augur

I dunno.... my watercooled rigs never needed that much.