Should I invest time in the warrior or level up a city bot?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Dagum, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Pistols4Pandas Elder

What he said... Moreover, when you ditch the tank, you open space for... another Mage or DPS. So then you have the possibility of 2 pet tanks, plus off-tanks via Servants.

People can shout to high heavens about how great warriors are, and they are, fantastic tanks. But Your warrior is going to need a Slower/offhealer to really take on the stuff a mage earth pet cant, which, as I said, makes your groups DPS abysmal. You'll need 2 DPS mercs just to get along and that makes the experience atrocious, too.

A Tank-based box team probably puts out 100k DPS sustained ( no mercs ) > 30 minutes.

My 3 Mage box team is going to break 300kdps ( no mercs ), and its also easier & I think funner to play.

Is a warrior/slower combo better than a Mage pet? Hands down, yes. Is it better than 3 Mage pets supplemented by Servants? Questionable, sometimes yes sometimes no.

The Tank-based group can do things I cant. I can also do things they cant because of the vastly superior DPS. It is ultimately a matter of preference & playstyle.
  2. Bigstomp Augur

A tank by itself can put out 100k sustained pretty much forever.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Stick with the warrior.

Also, at 108 with EoK T1 gear with most of your defensive AAs you should be significantly better than the mage pet in all respects. Better gear, levels and AAs are going to help, but the warrior's correct usage of their mitigation abilities is really massive and not easy to master.

Mage pets suffer the most when tanking multiple mobs, which the warrior has a lot of tools for (dragonstrike, harmonious expanse, wade into battle, rampage etc).
  4. Tucoh Augur

A 3x mage group is a really interesting combination with the ability to use your of many and alliance lines. I'd be really interested to see some parses showing what you can do in RoS t2 zones.

However, I think your estimation of tank DPS is a little low. This thread is getting an estimation of tank DPS:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tank-style-dps.246952/

and while it only has a few people who have given their two cents, an sk and warrior at least have shown evidence of being able to sustain 180k DPS alone.

If you limited me to a three box I'd go with war/brd/ber, and would feel pretty confident in indefinitely sustaining in the 400-500k range with them.

Additionally with three healer mercs in tow I'd feel comfortable tanking up to 10 RoS mobs with my group geared warrior, something that can be difficult to do with a mage group that has no CC. I know last night I was camping the Arcron Thaumaturge / Tundak camp and I realized that I can pull the entire camp (~9 mobs?) by standing on top of the broken statue platform and aggroing one. They all wig out uncontrollably and aggro everything around until they teleport on the statue. And this was with one boxed shaman healing.

I don't say this to be braggadocious, I just want to affirm to Dagum that if he sticks with the warrior he won't regret it.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Sancus like this.
  5. Orbital101 Augur

I like my mages much, my mages pets also but I love my warrior more!
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

LOL...
    Never pass up a chance for a li'l joke?!

I think this goes for every warrior, and since i am one too i agree (rare thing for me to agree with those tow lol).
    What Bigstomp said, is basically it.
    The actual played WAR gives a group a lot of more options than pet tanking does, and generally better survival rates too.
    Downside is that you will need to spend some time farming stuff, in RoS currently also outside your box crew.

But as others have said, it's hard to give qualified feedback apart from the generally obvious, since your OP lacks quite some information, especially about the other classes in the box team and preferred class/playstyle and goals.
    When boiling it down to just tanking, WAR (but also PAL/SHD) half-ways played "well" outdoes ANY pet, even raid-focused ones.
    Especially if you are willing to spend the time to "properly" care for his AAs+augments, e.g. in EoK to get a solid baseline.
  7. p2aa Augur

It didn't take long for this thread to become a mage pet versus tank thread.
  8. Dagum Elder

I want to thank all of you for the replies. Yes I did not include a ton of information in the original post; as I was not looking for what advice/disc to use or augs to farm. The reason I did not include that is because I know of other forums and places to get such information. As for the rest of the box crew I was not considering changing any of those classes.

My question was answered. I will stick with the warrior. I know that she needs much work in the AA department(Like I said just getting back into the game) From the sounds of the replies the warrior will be worth it to put some time and effort into. As I hit 108 and was amazed at watching mage pets tank and thought I might be investing in a class with little reward.

This post has convinced me to continue leveling the war, and invest time into her.

Thank you
    Orbital101 and Tucoh like this.