Daybreaks early plan to Compete with Pantheon

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by PIERRE STEUBEN, Jan 27, 2018.

1. svann Augur

While I have high hopes for pantheon, there is no way that eq is in any way basing changes on a fear of competition with Pantheon. Pantheon is too far down the road, and no one really knows enough about it to say its going to be harder than eq. IMO, that is unlikely.
    Quatr and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  2. Cicelee Augur

I have been playing Everquest for nearly 18 years. Even if Pantheon is the second coming, I have a hard time going to another game for potentially 10-20 years. I just don't want that time commitment out of a game, and I am sure my wife doesn't want me to either lol...
  3. AlmarsGuides Augur

[IMG]

Evidence Summary of why Pantheon is a pipe dream: (He says it better than I care to)

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Tornicade_IV Augur

I like when people thinking Challenging and hardcore are the same two things.
    Gates of discord was release as level 70 content for level 65 players and a lot of the elitist on these boards who still play were literally on the forums crying. Even the ones who could actually dot he content.

Just like people spout off for "hard" and "easy" modes of content instead of "normal" and "hard"

I don't like the "hard" version of content at all. why should people who raid have content tuned just for them in group with all the inherent advantages in the game they already have ?

Group content should always be tuned for .. Groups. in group gear.

not easy mode. or EQ lite.. just simply tuned around for them just as raid content is tuned around a raid geared force.

Everquest niche is pretty caved out towards retaining players they have and drawing frmer players back..
    If a game Like Pantheon is geared towards that Niche. They are gonna fail.

Their focus should be on College kids if its any good the veteran gamers will come regardless.

When I hear about "hardcore" old eq I think about these things.
    Recover your corpse or lose your gear,
    make your own Maps,
    Waiting for the devs to tip off players on how to do the next step of the quest because the actual quest was poorly done.
    Mob trains

If your raid gear and complaining about lack of mechanics. its because your gear trumps those mechanics. not that they aren't there. You still have zones where you have to debuff mobs, There are zones you cant single and the mobs swarm you in groups, and there sme stuff you use to solo you wouldn't bother with in a group.

A new MMORPG doesn't want to recreate old eq. They want to offer a new experience that captures time tested elements of successful game engineering.

I am still waiting for the pc games to be able to make genuine cross platform games where people can play from their Console game, Laptop or even a tablet. all those platforms can use a keyboard.
    and when someone figures out how to get those platforms on one server... that will be something.
  5. Toomba Elder

I remember Gates of discord, isnt that the expansion where half of the eq population disappeared
    Niknik likes this.
  6. Kolani Augur

For more reasons than it being overtuned, but that was definitely part of it. WoW and EQ2 went into Beta during it's lifetime, and a lot of people didn't come back when Omens launched.
  7. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

The idealist-gamer / pantheon-dev relationship summed up in 1 gif:

[IMG]
  8. Nennius Curmudgeon

You missed the hand in the wallet.
    Kolani likes this.
  9. Sam Hyde "You're" on ignore

Are you new to MMOs? I have to ask because there have been games coming out for 18 years that everyone claims to be "EQ but better graphics" or "just like EQ". None of them exist anymore. And no, not WoW, because no one ever claimed it was anything like old school EQ.

No one who plays EQ is going to leave because a new game came out. Maybe 15 years ago, but at this point people are playing EQ because its EQ. If they wanted to play a modern MMO they never would have installed/returned to EQ in the first place. Same goes for me- modern MMOs will never ever be like old MMOs. That wondrous time, the golden era of MMOs, is gone forever. This is the microtransaction era.
    Gyurika Godofwar and Maedhros like this.
  10. Kolani Augur

Man, remember when DAoC was going to kill EQ? And Horizons? And Rift? And that game with the minotaur on the game box?
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  11. Waring_McMarrin Augur

Doing some quick searches shows that in early 2015 they had a timeline of 2015 for Alpha, 2016 for Beta and 2017 for release and considering that it is now 2018 and they are selling pre-alpha access for $10,000 I am not sure this game is looking good to be released anytime in the near future.
    Quatr and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  12. Kolani Augur

Also, the Pantheon version of the Ranger class wasn't in game yet when the pre-Alpha opened, and considering that's always Brad's pet project on every game, I think that says something.
  13. 22wplkj Lorekeeper

Not sure how many left but I can say I was a loyal eq player at the time that was EQ's to lose. Two months into Gates they lost me.
  14. Geroblue Augur

Casual play in EQ has become easier... however, I haven't gamed above level 65. So maybe levels higher than that are hard for casuals. I know my 64 ogre shammy doesn't last long, with pet and merc along, when I went to a zone suggested to me a few years ago. My apologies, don't remember which zone it was. Two dark blues, and 'loading please wait'.

I might take one of my 85s in there and take a look around.
  15. Scorrpio Augur

Pantheon Shmantheon.

Read the website, saw video, checked interviews. If that thing ever sees the light of day it'll be a bloody miracle. If it does that not in form of an unfinished mess... well, lets just wait for that bloody miracle first. But I ain't holding my breath.

EQ was not killed by EQ2, AC, AO, DAoC, WoW or any other MMO. But right now somebody in there is trying real hard to have EQ kill EQ.
  16. Numiko Augur

I thought we were all going to Everquest Next! .... oh wait... :(
  17. kizant Augur

After watching their class discussion video on Wizards I can't say I'm very interested. It's like they want to ignore all the lessons learned from EQ.
  18. Viper1 Augur

lol if you think pantheon is ever going to be more than a blip on the radar. At best, it distracts people for a month and then they quit. At worst, it goes down like shroud of the avatar and star citizen, perpetual dev hell and cash flow problems.
  19. AutobotVu New Member

Please just remake everything the same just in VR !! I have played eq since 2nd expansion. Quit played prob 90% mmo out since then. Nothing compared to eq when they did that server that started from the beginning and in order to unlock next expansion was to kill end boss of that expansion I came back. Went HC faced off vs foh good times. Shane I was only 2nd enchanter to hit max :(. But I do miss eq and wish that they would do it for the oculus!!
  20. Fohpo Augur

Vaporware indeed, or a second V:SoH