Illusions Benefit Neza: +10% dodge

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Ecchicon, Jan 26, 2018.

1. Ecchicon Elder

Does Illusion Benefit Neza, which grants +10% dodge, stack with [most] other effects, or does it conflict with things like Myrmidon's Skill?
  2. fransisco Augur

wouldn't this be a duplicate to the poWar aug which is +10% dodge?
  3. Syylke_EMarr Augur

They'd be different effects. Aug is a base skill modifier while the buff would be a increased chance.

As far as stacking, it would probably not stack with Myrmidon's Skill. The only caveat to that would be that I'm not sure how stacking works now that Myrmidon's Skill is a passive AA
  4. Ecchicon Elder

Yeah, Syyilk. That's why I wonder myself.
  5. Brohg Augur

WAR 68 Commanding Voice > benefit:neza

If you're not a warrior, then outside raids (since inside raids you can just have any warrior buff your group; the ability is instant, it lasts 10 minutes) you could gain an almost unparsibly small advantage by running the illusion benefit

Either one will stack with the item AA Myrmidon's Skill

Is illusion benefit neza actually available in game still as a standalone buff? Other effects of similar provenance were replaced with item AA triggers (lookin' at you, Party Popper Nimbus, but there are others). The illusion it's attached to may just grant AA Item: Myrmidon's Skill VI now
  6. niente Developer

Here's how your chance to dodge is calculated:

Step1 = HeroicStrikethrough(NPC)
    Step2 = HeroicAgility / 25
    Step3 = MIN( Step1, Step2 )
    Step4 = DodgeSkill + 100
    Step5 = Step4 + ( DodgeSkill * DodgeSPA ) / 100
    Step5.1 = Modify via luck: (Luck, Step5)
    Step5.2 = Look up roll values based on your luck value
    Step5.3 = Roll for luck mod. if it is within the right value, multiply this mod by your Step5 dodge chance.
    (ex: 50 luck (pretend values, not realistic), 50% chance to get a 10-25% dodge bonus. if we roll successfully multiply Step5 by our roll result (random between 10-25% - if we rolled 15%, multiply Step5 by 1.15)
    Step6 = Step5 / 45
    DodgeChance = Step6 + ( Step2 - Step3 )

Roll a random number between 1 and 100, if it's <= than DodgeChance, we successfully dodge.

DodgeSPA is the sum of SPA 174 (dodge) for AA, items, and spells (buffs).
    If you have the following:
    • AA: Item: Myrmidon's Skill XII (21)
    • Item Focus: Improved Dodge VII (70)
    • Spell: Illusion Benefit Neza (10)
    DodgeSPA = 21 + 10 + 70 = 101

You get only the maximum value between all your AAs + the highest item focus + the highest dodge % buff (they don't stack).

If we assume these values (as an example):

HeroicAgility = 1009
    DodgeSkill = 520
    HeroicStrikethrough(NPC) = 0

My total dodge chance is:

Step1 = 0
    Step2 = 1009 / 25 = 40
    Step3 = MIN( 0, 40 ) = 0
    Step4 = 520 + 100 = 620
    Step5 = 620 + ( 520 * 101 ) / 100 = 1145
    Step6 = 1145 / 45 = 25
    DodgeChance = 25 + ( 40 - 0 ) = 65

What if you fought something with more heroic strikethrough?

HeroicStrikethrough(NPC) = 20

Step1 = 20
    Step2 = 1009 / 25 = 40
    Step3 = MIN( 20, 40 ) = 20
    Step4 = 520 + 100 = 620
    Step6 = 1145 / 45 = 25
    DodgeChance = 25 + ( 40 - 20 ) = 45

What if you fought something with even more heroic strikethrough?

Step1 = 50
    Step2 = 1009 / 25 = 40
    Step3 = MIN( 50, 40 ) = 40
    Step4 = 520 + 100 = 620
    Step6 = 1145 / 45 = 25
    DodgeChance = 25 + ( 40 - 40 ) = 25

If an NPC's Heroic Strikethrough is higher than your character's Heroic Agility bonus, you are disqualified from the "bonus" you would have gotten at the end.
    Wulfhere, Zarzac, Andarriel and 17 others like this.
  7. Arcos Lorekeeper

In step 6 you are actually computing using the 1145 from step 5 but you wrote 531 = typo?
  8. niente Developer

Yes, fixed, thanks
  9. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Thanks for sharing the dodge formula!
  10. Wulfhere Augur

Thanks for sharing the formula.

However it doesn't explain how the attacks of many NPC (e.g. current raid mobs) cannot be dodged. Something else is reducing the skill chance to zero (or negating it entirely). This formula is not the whole story.
  11. Brohg Augur

regular strikethrough exists too
    Beimeith and Riou like this.
  12. Wulfhere Augur

Granted, enabling strikethrough messages in the log adds significant spam too. It's happening constantly both for the PC and the NPC.

I believe that 100% strikethrough for either is bad gameplay design (PC classes have had it longer then NPC) and the devs have been forced to invent new ways to add variance (bad streaks) to melee rounds. Instead of defending against (any) attacks, we're subjected to more flurries and rampages that we cannot defend against outside of disciplines. As much as it hurts tank gameplay, it hurts the majority of (squishy) classes even more.

The original item strikethrough cap was 35% and then came AA that enabled it to additively reach (over) 100% for certain classes. Something far less then 100% would be healthier (and funner) for the game all around I believe.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You only fixed the first example. The next two still have Step6 = 531 / 45 = 25 and Step6 = 531 / 45 = 25.

I'm going to assume that the 531 in Step 6 in those examples should be 1145 instead.
  14. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Does this always round down to the nearest integer? I imagine it has to if the final roll is a Random 0-100 check.

I'm mostly interested about the formula on early TLPs (Agnarr for example) before SPA174 effects are available and before Heroic Agility is prevalent. It looks like the dodge formula is:

Chance = (Dodge Skill + 100) / 45

If it is rounding down that means you always need 45 skill increments to increase by 1%. A tank with 240 Dodge (which I believe was max skill at 65) for example:

(240+100) / 45 = 7.555, rounds down to 7%

If that tank gets an 8% Dodge mod item (Signet of Might for example in PoP):

(240*1.08+100) / 45 = 7.98222, rounds down to 7%.

So effectively it does nothing for them? Is that correct?
  15. fransisco Augur

In the EQ system, there is no rounding. Numbers are truncated instead.
    So 9.99 = 9.
  16. Darchon_Xegony Augur

Well yes. Truncate is rounding down to nearest integer.

But absolutely no calculations go into decimals?
  17. fransisco Augur

Nope.
    Decimals are all truncated.
  18. menown Augur

Always rounding down to the nearest whole integer and truncating to the n0 decimal place accomplishes the same result but in different methods. This only applies to positive values however.
  19. Lubianx Augur

Just a question, which illusion item actually has that focus?
  20. Imak Augur