Methods of Sarnak Destruction ninja-nerf?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by NameAlreadyInUse, Jan 21, 2018.

1. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

The first 7 steps of Methods of Sarnak Destruction are no longer pre-lootable.

So you took one of the biggest complaints about RoS (that EoK progression was a requirement) and made it more cumbersome. Thank you.

Is this related to the Crestra's earring "fix"? Are there any other tasks with "Collect such and such..." steps (as opposed to "Loot such and such...") steps that are no longer pre-lootable? With Tradeable/sellable items no less!
  2. Funk Augur

Wow, let all the elite players do it then over a year later after a new expansion launches make it harder for casuals. Sounds par for the course unfortunately
  3. Vallistar New Member

Odds this gets fixed in this year are almost equal to absolute zero. I finished all EoK progression, and prelooted for this quest along the way. It does not make sense to require players to collect each piece a second time, but adds on a good 4-6 hours of farming thus extending content.
  4. Riou EQResource

Believe someone mentioned that you can still pre-loot this, but it only updates in the specific zone it lists

So if the zone says lceanium it only updates in lceanium or what not
  5. Kylls New Member

What Riou said.

You have to run to lcea, trade the yeti skin, run to scorched wood, give the meteorite fragment, fm for lymph node etc.

Annoying, but it works.
  6. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Yeah. If a zone is listed it has to be "recognized" in the zone that is listed. So do something to update your inventory and it will get the update.
    Maedhros likes this.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

erm...
    Surely you have just omitted a "currently" in the above post, and forgot to remark that this will be undone with the next patch again?

Otherwise, since you will force us to move from quest NPCs all over the place into some zone where we're *supposed* to loot whatever we had prelooted for no reason other than to inconvenience us, you will at least station a non-agro NPC at each ZI for those of us who do not box or have pets to give stuff to, right?
  8. Thrillho Augur

• Trade to merc
    • Trade to another player
    • Drop on ground and pick up
  9. Scorrpio Augur

Those items are tradable. A lot of people 'loot' them in bazaar or guild bank. My EoK prog is all around done so don't really care - but was this really necessary?

Is this an all around change for every quest where you are supposed to obtain an item from a given zone?
  10. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Currently yes - seems to affect all "collect" steps with a zone.
    Confirmed examples are the above-mentioned Droga mercenary tasks and Crestra's ear-tasks.
  11. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I think this is a misunderstanding, the requirement to be in the zone listed for this to work shouldn't be a new thing since the last patch. It's probably always been that way and the OP just didn't know it.
  12. TheStugots Augur

That's a big negative. Definitely hasn't always been that way.
  13. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

You haven't noticed the past few expansions are full of quests that require you to run around zones and between different zones for no reason other than to make the quests take longer? I wonder if you play EQ.

The most fun ones are the ones where you have in your bag the item the NPC wants but they insist you go collect another one instead. Apparently, once the item lands in your bag it spoils within hours. I guess their promise of "Fresh" ore is regulated by the Food, Drug, and Minerals Administration.

The whole idea you can't pre-loot everything makes no sense other than to increase the time sink. Although, I guess for role playing purposes items that actually can spoil (like meat or body parts), might have an excuse, but otherwise no.

I'm not going to complain about this quest, since at least you can pre-loot and trade the items, which is more than you can do for many other quests. Having to go visit the zone (again) is annoying but better than having the game force you to go get them yourself at the exact time the NPC says.
    Yinla likes this.
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

As TheStugots said above, a BIG "negative" on that.
    I've posted similar in the bug thread, but well.. doesn't hurt to post an even more recent example here again:

[Tue Jan 16 23:26:53 2018] Vasyryx Teken`tlar says, 'Ah, good. I knew not to expect too much mental effort from you.'
    [Tue Jan 16 23:26:56 2018] You have been assigned the task 'Mounds of Mud'.
    [Tue Jan 16 23:26:56 2018] Your task 'Mounds of Mud' has been updated.

That was what? a day before that patch?
  15. Zhaunil_AB Augur

*sigh*
    Of course i play EQ, and of course i "have noticed" the tasks that send you all over the place and sometimes even back to Task-NPC after each step (Gorowyn partisan for example) like back in the annoying wanderlust tasks.
    But that's not even my gripe, even though sure worth mentioning.
    MY gripe in this context is with the update steps specifically that used to work anywhere and now do not.

These are two very different things - one is the task-step design per se, the other is taking away a QoL thing.
    Though yes, the result is the same: much of needless running around for no better reason than to waste more time on an expansion that every one knows won't last "long enough".

We are in agreement here.

Well, this affects all "collect" steps in every task it seems - so of COURSE i am complaining.
    The "loot" and "deliver" as distinct steps were never prelootable but are also for a different discussion.

THIS one is about the stealth-nerf with the last patch.
    And for me, there can be no "but" in
    It's simply annoying, period.
  16. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

My bad then, that didn't seem like something they would just change arbitrarily. Maybe it was performance related so they didn't note it in the patch notes.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

This is correct.
    I checked the change logs and the last time this quest was changed was:
    7/8/2016 4:41:04 PM
    and that was to fix a typo in zone names.
    So. No. There are no stealth changes to this quest. It has always been this way.

What has happened is some changes to the back end code for Tasks in general (NOT specific to this task) made it so the type of element that is used for those steps, called a "collect" element internally, made collect elements pay attention to the zone, while in the past, the zone was ignored. This will affect all quests with collect elements and zone limits. Not only this.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

Those two statements are mutually exclusive. Assuming the 2nd statement is true, the first statement can NOT be true.

From the customer/player's point of view, the quest was changed without notice. That is a "stealth change". I appreciate the look "under the hood" at why it happened.
  19. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

Oh man, I was almost right for a minute. It's ok though. If you tell us the change was to improve performance then I can still be right!
  20. Ngreth Thergn Developer

And it really was about performance.
    Some of the checks the task system was making was ridiculous and redundant! I'm not allowed to go into details, but it was bad.
    This is a side effect. NOT an intentional change to any particular task. Sure... it "Stealth changed" come tasks, but it was not TARGETED at any particular task.