Skyfire

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by chronicler, Jan 13, 2018.

1. chronicler Augur

Why is the that aura from the skydrakes ?

It is being used way too much, should be reduced by like 50%, making the zone too hard, and the radious should be reduced too.

It should really first be there, in next expansion when level max still 110
  2. Tour Augur

The mechanic is trivial and does not make the zone too hard. Anything you can avoid at will by just having some basic situational awareness makes it pretty easy. Yes, it packs a good punch, and you can just heal through it. But if it is that troublesome, just avoid it.
  3. Rolaque Ancient

It's part of the overall flavor of the zone. It's just not a safe place to have an afternoon picnic. You actually have to work your way through any quest you do.
    Belexes likes this.
  4. Koryu Professional Roadkill

[45341] Cinder Sputum
    Target: Target Ring AE
    Range: 1200', AE Range: 45'
    Resist: Unresistable, Max Resist Chance: 25%
    Focusable: No
    Reflectable: No
    Casting: 0s
    Duration: 12s (2 ticks), Dispelable: No
    1: Decrease Current HP by 40000
    2: Decrease Movement Speed by 65%
    3: Decrease Current HP by 10000 per tick
    Text: You're covered in burning sputum!

The drakes don't cast this all over the place hoping to hit players at random. It's flying drakes that do this, and they wait until a player enters their range. Even if the drakes cannot see invis or shroud of stealth, they can still target exactly the area where you are standing. The aura is a delayed blast, so move out of it. If not, you'll be blasted out of invis and probably jumped by the drake, then have to deal with all the roamers that show up while you fight the drake. Or, you could just keep moving.
  5. tnot Elder

Was wondering what this was, my pets were going f'ing bananas when I was doing the 2nd partisan task here, Pet would just run off and start attacking things at random, had them without /hold just to quickly counterattack anything that jumped my mages, you kind of have to when they'll kill you in 1-2 seconds.
  6. UncleUms Journeyman

The REAL problems is the drakes that are stuck somewhere in the geometry so you can't see them or cast on them, yet they still cast this just fine.
  7. svann Augur

Or the ones that agro on you while flying and are able to melee you while you cannot melee them. sploit
  8. Kacman Augur

Should the NPCs in Skyfire be banned for 3 weeks because they are exploiting the Z axis and zone geometry bugs?

Just because these 2 bugs have existed since day 1 of EQ in 1999 does not excuse their exploitation!
    svann, ptah, Chopin.Xegony and 2 others like this.
  9. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

T2 is a lot more relaxing than T1.

I have a dislike for the drakes that always find the group, wherever we camp in Skyfire and I dislike the abilities or the NPCs in Overthere, I much prefer HS, ST or Goro, But I'm in love with VP, not only are there dragons but being nonkos means the only NPCs I have to worry about when moving around in Basilisks.
  10. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

Skyfire sucks!

That said its easy enough to work around. Hint of the day. Target the drake (its above you, not stuck in the world), get a strong agro and then back up... eventually it will come down to the ground so you can fight it normal. As for the aura, when you see it, again back up, stop standing in an area that will damage you...

FYI, T2 zones also have drakes, well Gorowyn and VP do.

If ya need anymore trade secrets shoot me a tell, I’ll teach you the ways of the mighty EQ lands.
  11. Yinla Ye Ol' Dragon

Thought for the day

If drakes in VP don't attack me why do they in Skyfire....
  12. Kacman Augur

Sounds like exploits to me!
  13. Allayna Augur

Ah....Z axis
  14. Ofearl Slayer of all things Stupid

They could be....

Like how you can sell all contents in your bag with one click! Or move all items from one bag to another! Even such sweetness as how to use f8 to target an npc w/in a pile of PC’s...

Better yet! My secret ability to run around from zone to zone with a map open!
  15. Kacman Augur

LoL I am aware of these methods and many more.

Like how t o pull a rare out of a pack and clear across the zone without adds.

But be careful because the Devs definition of a feature that has been known and permitted to persist, on live servers, for 10+ years; are really exploitable bugs that can earn you a lengthy ban at the whim of the Devs changing their minds.
  16. Raccoo Augur

Even with clip plane maxed I cannot see drakes in the sky. Not sure if there is another setting that causes this to happen. It might also be related to me not seeing my own pet's damage outside of /say range.
  17. UncleUms Journeyman

The drakes are often stuck under, and not on top of, the geometry, especially on the west side of the zone. I know this because they can attack me, but I cannot target or attack them back. Couple that with mage pets running to a spot and trying to melee the mob, only to die with no mob in sight and getting 'you can't see your target' when I try to cast.
    Perplexed likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

I actually really enjoy Skyfire, it's nice to see an open world that has some real threat potential. I know in the central areas I can wing an arrow at a random Drake and by the time I kill everything that paths in to join the fun I've got 10+ dead drakes, wyrms, chromodracs and wyverns at my feet.

The only thing I'd like is:
    1. If Drakes didn't just hang out 30 meters above my head and would come down to fight, but it's easy enough to back up to drag them downward.

2. If I could enlarge the field of view. It's extra frustrating because that feature exists in EQ in the form of Increase Magnification that eye of zomm, eyes of the sabretooth etc has.

They can also add an audio notification when you get attacked by the Drake Air Force. Maybe a nice SKREEEE
    [IMG]
    ptah likes this.
  19. Zhaunil_AB Augur

This is not quit etrue, and far from "exploit" on the Dev's part.
    These drakes use the same mechanics as the wasps in Scorched woods - you have to move them a bit to bring them into melee range.

What's different i think, what makes this zone a pain to be in and what should imo be changed is that these drakes do only check if a PC is in casting range or not instead of ALSO checking if they actually see them or not.
    As was said above, their AE is NOT cast "randomly", it's ALWAYS cast squarely on top of a player character - even if that one is a ROG with SoS2 (or a FD char for that matter).

That the flying drake's agro range is less than their casting range, and that they because of that AE you without actually agro'ing you actually helps - but only if you want to avoid them.
    If you camp a mob (like i did with the northern VP-key-dropper) and you are being bombarded by their AEs and have to search which of them it is that is casting on you...
    That's when this mechanic shows it's really nasty side.
    Complicated even more if the drake responsible for the constant AEs is "hiding" somewhere in the ruins/pillars.

I freely admit it:
    I much prefer static camps over constant moving and places where i (as the group's tank or as the player running a box crew) can go afk too to take a leak or so without having to fear that i will find myself in hovermode upon my return.
    That's why i am almost never to be found in this zone and am unlikely to ever become a regular visitor.
    Once i am done with hunters, i am out of there for good - and i hope this absolute design of a zone (and, in extension, an expansion) won't continue.
    This expansion isn't at all "fun" for me - it's work.
  20. svann Augur

There is no way something should be able to hit you without being close enough for you to hit them back unless they are using a ranged attack. Think about it - how can they bite you in the face but you cant reach their mouth that is biting your face? ridiculous