EQ Locks Up When Logging Out

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Canute, Dec 31, 2017.

1. Canute New Member

Hello all. Just have encountered a weird issue starting last night and then happened this morning. Last night when pressing 'offline' on my trader the game completely locked up. Had to do a restart and was unable to get things going again. And I was not able to get task manager to show at all.

Then this morning I was at the character select screen and did the usual log out and it locked up there as well and had to restart once again. Any ideas? This is a brand new PC and I have never had this issue in the past with older PC's. But then again, this is my first time gaming on Windows 10 so I am not sure if there is a conflict there either.

Any help would be very much appreciated. Thanks all and Happy New Year.
    Brontus likes this.
  2. Canute New Member

Quick update, read on another forum to disable the Game Bar in Windows 10. Anyone had any experience with this? I have disabled this so we shall see.
  3. Malbro Augur

This happens to me all the time after multiple zonings, especially during raids.

Windows 7 here.
  4. Canute New Member

Thank you for the reply, Malbro. Never had the issue with Windows 7. Which is what I find so odd about it.
  5. Malbro Augur

There is a known memory leak and I thought I read on some other thread, not sure where anymore, that is was fixed for Win 10 but NOT for Win 7.

I use least memory mode also but it doesn't help.
  6. Canute New Member

After disabling Game Bar I thought the problem was fixed, but no dice. I then read to disable GeForce Experience so I totally deleted that as I have no use for it. Worked for a while but still locking upon logging out. The frustrating part is that I can't get Task Manager to pop up either.

If anyone has any suggestions please let me know. Thank you.
  7. Canute New Member

Just read that Windows Defender could be the culprit here possible. I do realize that I am grasping at straws but the restarts are just getting annoying at this point. EQ is the only program that I am having issues with.
  8. Korthos New Member

I'm also experiencing this problem over the past 4-5 days. Occasionally after camping EQ will close itself properly, usually it will hang and never go to character select (or desktop). I've tried the windows defender disable method, tried excluding the EQ folder/executable, gamebar is always disabled.

Sitting on windows 10, and it's kind of frustrating to go through task manager and play russian roulette with the eqgame.exe and wonder which one is hung and which ones aren't. Something the devs should take a loot at.
  9. klanderso Developer

When you lock up while exiting, is it when you're going from in-game to character select, or character select to server select? Are you using /camp?
  10. Canute New Member

For me, it locks up when I /camp and it counts down until entering character select. When I get to character select and exit out from there is when it locks up. The last two days it hasn't locked up at all if I am in windowed mode. If I am at full screen, it will lock up.

Still been browsing trying to find an actual fix but so far nothing is working.
    Brontus likes this.
  11. Korthos New Member

I play windowed, and i have had it lock up primarily when I am using /camp. It has happened with letting the 30sec timer tick down, or fast camping (Clicking yes, after /camp in POK). I have not noticed a difference in game session time.. that is, if I was playing for a brief time, or logged in for 8+ hours. I have not tried live servers, but I'm experiencing this on Lockjaw.

I have not had it lock up at the character select screen, although I often log in and reach character select and find no characters. So I must log back out and try again.
  12. klanderso Developer

Which server? Can you make a note of the next time it happens and shoot me a PM?
  13. Horyuken Augur

Klanderso, I he said it was happening on Lockjaw.
  14. klanderso Developer

>.< reading is hard sometimes. But it still stands, the next time anyone has one of these crashes, shoot me a PM with the time and what you did last, and I'll look into it :)
  15. Qbert Gallifreyan

Have you tried bypassing the problem area with /camp desktop?
  16. Canute New Member

I have tried that a few times and not locked up. On one acct, I always log to character select to get my trader going. On the other I just /ex sometime. I'll mess around with it tonight. Though at this point having my whole PC lock up really grinds my gears. Will see what happens this evening.
  17. Malbro Augur

Playing windowed, /camp desk, after zoning a few times it locks on exiting. Especially during raids when I zone multiple times from dying.

Using least memory mode - Win 7 home premium.
  18. Canute New Member

The only thing so far that has half worked for me is going windowed mode before I log out. That seems to lessen the lock ups so far.
  19. Korthos New Member

Hah, yes, it's on Lockjaw. ALthough it sounds like the issue is not related to live vs tlp. More often than not, it's happening to me in PoK when I /camp or X out.. I'm always in windowed mode.

Prior to servers going down though, I camped out in an xp zone after being inf or 4-5 hours with no issue. Seems random.
  20. Canute New Member

Was in windowed mode and it locked up tonight. But for the first time I got Task Manager to pop up so I didn't have to restart the PC. PM sent, klanderso.