Hortulanus Cryolex in Overthere

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Yinla, Dec 23, 2017.

1. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

I’ve been at my doorway, actually, with an infinite loop of All By Myself playing, waiting for you to notice me! <3
    Bahdah likes this.
  2. Bahdah Augur

You always know how to make me smile.
  3. Roartyger Smoot Elder

Sadly not many people are familiar with this movie. This short video will explain how magical her name is.

Maedhros likes this.
  4. EQ Dev Developer

The team will return to the office early next week. There are solutions in place for the exploit, but these solutions are not yet Live and we cannot proceed until staff are back on-site.
    We are sorry for the inconvenience.
  5. Millianna Augur

Here we go again using the word “exploit” for bad content design (and more than likely bad programming).
    Hiladdar likes this.
  6. svann Augur

From Merriam-Webster
    2 : to make use of meanly or unfairly for one's own advantage
    So yes, taking unfair advantage of a bad design or coding is an exploit - literally by the definition of the word.
  7. segap Augur

People are "exploiting" bugs or mistakes in ways that they know they should not. You can make the same argument about malware authors taking advantage of bugs or bad programming in Windows. Regardless, if people are doing things that are very obviously against intent and circumventing well known hard restrictions, they are exploiting.

Let's say you walk in to a store. The cashier walked away from the register and left the drawer open. That's a bad practice on their part. Does that give you the right to grab all the visible cash you see? Just because something is possible due to a mistake of another, does not excuse bad behavior on your part.
  8. Bahdah Augur

So there!
  9. Drogba Augur

There's a few issues with the anti-exploit view.

1. Players of all walks of life and ages play these games, with differing understandings on what exploiting even is. Establishing intent to do wrong isn't always cut and dry (though a ban hammer to all whom have benefited will sweep up those with no intent as well)

2. In the case that there is intent, it should still be questionable whether you are taking 'unfair advantage' by making use of a perceived bug. It's typical in gaming to make use of every bug (see speedrunning of any game, where it is basically required). There is also the potential that a bug will never be corrected, either knowingly or unknowingly to the developer, and so making use of it will be the standard method to do something. ..And you are faced with a choice to either benefit, or sit back and watch anyone else but you reap the benefits of optimal play. They're developer mistakes guys, and you're just doing guesswork as to whether it is ok or not / will ever get changed / be acknowledged as ok to do one day. We shouldn't have to take on the morale responsibility for fear of bans, that should be optional.
  10. Drogba Augur

Just like we don't arrest people for being a bad neighbor, a law needs to be broken.

In something as unclear as perceived bugs, there should be no law that you can break, because of issues 1 & 2. Sadly many games update their terms of service, likely as a defense incase they break something that kills their game (which has happened to games before).
  11. Khat_Nip Meow

There's a substantial difference between, "I found a novel way to bypass a relatively insignificant mechanic" and "This is REALLY wrong and I know it and I'm going to take advantage of it, over and over".
  12. Drogba Augur

What is/isn't a 'significant mechanic' is a grey, not black and white.
  13. Oakenblade Former ForumQuest Champion

14. Drogba Augur

I can think of an example of what i think you would agree is 'really wrong'. Say, you find a way to cast 20 hour duration black wolf. Or raid gear on a vendor selling for 1 platinum.

There is still potential for players to make use of that without thinking they are doing wrong.

And there will still be occasions where the fix results in no form penalty, or where the fix simply never comes, meaning to not participate only hurts yourself.
  15. Igniz Augur

Thank you for taking the time to acknowledge this mess of a thread. Though still a sad situation, your honest words and explanation will put many minds at ease.
    Drogba likes this.
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

I can't comment on the Black Wolf deal as I don't know the intricacies of it as I've only ever been an SK.
    As far as the raid vendor is concerned, I'm always conscious of what specific piece I'm buying and its cost in raid coin, otherwise I wouldn't buy it.
    Not participating in knowingly, willfully, blatantly, and going the extra step for gains that some have been alleged to do in this mission hurts me? I won't be party to it so I guess it hurts me somehow. The penalty for those that did exploit should at a minimum receive a substantial suspension.
  17. Drogba Augur

It could slow your overall progress down somewhat (or others overall progress). Some players may struggle with obtaining certain drops outside of the chests from the mission as well for instance.
  18. Drogba Augur

Though i was referring to exploits in general, not this one.
  19. Derrick New Member

Firstly it's not a violation to the EULA

Secondly, it is mistake on their design part which have been around for years and they never even bother to fix it.

Your so call exploit, there are many more and will always be around as the years goes by.

When people uses their creative ways of thinking and going outside the box, you call these people cheater.

What if I tell you there are exploit for classes in game and has been around since 2005?
    Are you going to simply ban all those players that play that Class since 2005?
    Or are you going to remove creation of those classes from EQ permanently?

Players play the game and noticed something. It whether if they want to report it to get fix or make full use of it.

And reporting is not part of the EULA.
    Hiladdar likes this.
  20. Cicelee Augur

I am of the belief that if it was a group exploit that it was used primarily for VP keys. In which case I would think it may not be that time consuming for DBG to look at their logs, see who zoned into VP since expansion release, then review the logs for each player to determine when they looted their pieces and how. And I feel a nice punishment for those players would be a four week suspension.

Because while I do agree in the thought that you might not realize it is an exploit, I kind of have a hard time of someone using the "I was not aware" excuse in this specific situation. Again just my opinion. I do hope that there is some punishment levied upon those who took advantage of this...