Veeshan's key

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Lily, Dec 17, 2017.

1. Lily Augur

I wouldn't expect this to be quick or easy. I would expect it to be challenging, but...
    we've been at the Priest Ovun camp for over 5 hours, and the mob spawned only once. It dropped 1 medallion. This seems ridiculous. Either the spawn rate, or the number of drops should be increased. And this is just 1 of 9 mobs that has to be camped for the key. Someone else was in the zone camping Captain Ordran, and having about as much success as we've had.

There's nothing challenging about this. It's tedious, frustrating, infuriating, irritating, and many other adjectives. But definitely not my idea of challenging.
  2. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It is my impression that key-pieces are guaranteed to drop in missions, although it is random which of the 3 zone-pieces you get. Chances are, at least one in your group will get a useful key-piece. :)
  3. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

Do the missions on cool down for a random piece of that area and kill the names that drop pieces you miss meanwhile. We had a full group going on release and completed all of our keys the other day by simply being smart on what names we wanted to target as fewer and fewer pieces were needed. I found it a little tedious sure but with a group of friends it is certainly manageable. Just keep grinding away here and there and you will have it eventually. Good luck on your vp key adventure!
    Tugroka likes this.
  4. gotwar Gotcharms

Just like the original VP key!
    Tsavo likes this.
  5. Vlerg Augur

just like most of EQ.

why do we play this game?
    Tugroka likes this.
  6. Koryu Professional Roadkill

Sunk Cost Fallacy
    Masochism
    Friends
    Tugroka, Fanra, Bobsmith and 2 others like this.
  7. Thoxsel Djess' Pet Warrior

To kill gnomes!
    Tugroka likes this.
  8. Mehdisin Mahn Augur

TL;DR... I assume it went something like this:
    "waaah! this quest is easily doable but takes too long! waaah!"
  9. Tucoh Augur

I know you're joking but I really do love this game. It's got something it offers that no other game has.

It's good enough that when I killed my first key dropping mob and found it dropped only one key, and I realized I'd have to kill 6 * 9 = 72 of these mobs to gear my team that I simply shrugged and moved on.

The missions providing keys makes it a lot easier for Overthere at least.
  10. Bahdah Augur

I heart you Lily, but this should not be changed, If you haven't done/seen progression in VP yet and they give in to this, whats next, tune down VP? as of right now, the "2 group names" are not "2 group names"
  11. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Not everything needs to be obtainable before the first week of the expansion is done.
  12. Gillette Lorekeeper

And not everything should require 8 hours of killing the same mob once every 12 minutes hoping that the random number generator finally goes your way. The only challenge in it is can you sit at the keyboard that long ...
    Xeladom and Yinla like this.
  13. Lily Augur

My first sentence said that I don't expect it to be quick or easy. It should be challenging. Obviously there was no imagination that went into this quest. Look at the Artisan's prize. Look at the shawl quests. They weren't fast or easy by any means. But those quests were much better designed. Those quests were challenging.
  14. Tatanka Joe Schmo

This is a tough one. I agree with you completely. But I think the problem is, in 18 years, they haven't come up with an alternate to this, where it takes a lot of time, but isn't also mind-numbingly boring. Any alternative would >always< take a long time, cause you'd have to go through so many steps. At least the way it is, you >might< get lucky with the spawns, and it won't take long at all.

The other problem with any alternate route they might come up with, would take lots more steps, so lots more developer time, something they can't spare.
  15. Vlerg Augur

People usually prefer challenge to time-consuming event.

Right now, none of the VP key named are tough (they are barely stronger than trash mob). If your group can complete the skyfire mission, those name will be trivial... a mere timesink.(and let's face it EQ already have a lot of timesinks).

I'd personally enjoy the challenge of a PoWar-esque zone (something veeshan's peak appear to be) more than another timesink.
  16. Riou EQResource

You don't have to, do the OT, Skyfire and Gorowyn missions, the medallions drop in all 3, afaik you don't have to kill a single named to get it via this route. Plus you need the currency for the new type 5s, and it guarantees basically a rune per win that you likely need for your new spells.
    Axxius and adetia like this.
  17. Axxius Augur

As it stands right now, doing the missions is the easiest way of obtaining any group loot in RoS. Each mission drops 1 random piece of medallion (not necessarily from the same zone, all 9 pieces can be found in the missions) and 2 random items from the same zone.

You may get the items you want faster (in real time) by camping the named for hours and days, but if you are not in hurry then simply doing the missions every 6 hr will get you everything you want plus currency, and you'll spend much less play time doing that.
  18. Lily Augur

We've done the OT mission several times now, and keep getting the exact same key. Can you get all 3 from that set?
  19. Axxius Augur

Getting the same medallion piece 3 times in a row is almost impossible (1 in 81 chance). I think you may be mistaken about that. All 9 medallion pieces LOOK the same. But you can Identify them to see which piece is which. And you can try to loot it (or just click Need/Greed in /advloot) to see if you already have that one.

When you do the key quest, don't turn in the medallion pieces until you have all 9. That makes it easy to see if you already have the pieces that drop.
  20. Atvar Augur

1/3 * 1/3 * 1/3 is 1 in 27 chance.