Agnarr, Velks: I can't "bear" it :)

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Herf, Nov 13, 2017.

1. Herf Augur

"A Frenzied Velium Broodling bears its fangs and lunges at you." :D

[IMG]
    Machentoo and Kattria Minx like this.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

LOL, good catch.
  3. Ryak Augur

4. Rhodz Augur

The usage is correct bare/bear have identical meanings in this context.
    "A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."
    Lets not even mention bearer bonds...
  5. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

I believe this to be correct. Both versions of bare/bear are usable in this context. I've always used "bear" for this type of verb. Both can be used as a verb, with "bare" meaning "to uncover or to expose." "Bear" as a verb in the context of the screenshot can be interpreted as "to exhibit" which fits just fine.

Here is a link to the grammarist article explaining it.
  6. jeskola pheerie

TOP DEFINITION
    bear
    A term used by gay men to describe a husky, large man with a lot of body hair.
    George's sexual tastes run toward bears
    Aeon likes this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

Teeth are not something you can bear, when they are still firmly in your own mouth. You cannot lay down your teeth at the end of a fight (unless you have dentures, but I doubt that is the case for the Frenzied Velium Broodling.) Teeth (still firmly attached to your mouth) are not a weapon that you pick up. They are not something that you carry or hold, under normal circumstances. If you knocked out someone else's tooth, picked it up and brandished it as a weapon, then I suppose you could use "bear" to describe what you were doing. I once had a friend who bore a shark tooth wherever he went, on a leather cord around his neck. But "bear" is inappropriate when the teeth are still firmly planted in your jaw.

Teeth are normally covered by lips, but when animals are angry, they bare their teeth in a snarl.

Bare is correct here; bear is not.
  8. Machentoo Augur

9. Prathun Developer

Woops! I found several examples of bear being used incorrectly, mostly in aggro text, and rewrote them all.
    Thanks for pointing this out.
  10. Guzzle Augur

Patch Note

Mob Engage Text
    -Made several instances of mob engagement text more bearable to read for the more grammatically aware.
  11. Mwapo Augur

Can spiders even bare their teeth to begin with? Honest question. I always kind of figured spider teeth were just always kind of out in the open.
    Prathun likes this.
  12. Herf Augur

Thank YOU! LOL, I feel impotent now ;) Oh wait, I mean, "important" :D
  13. Herf Augur

I think they can actually. Don't tarantula fangs sort of retract into those two fuzzy things up front that look like short legs?
  14. Herf Augur

LOL, this totally has to be patch comment!
  15. Gingyr Elder

No, the fuzzy things are called pedipalps. They are used by males for sexual reproduction. The fangs do kind of fold under though like hinged daggers. this is different than true spiders which are a newer order and have evolved scissor type fangs.
  16. Gingyr Elder

When angry tarantulas do rear up and display the fangs quite aggressively so you are correct they do indeed bare them.
  17. Gingyr Elder

18. Rhodz Augur

Without knowing the anatomy of those spiders all I can say is the English language is a pita.
    If the devs want to throw away that "valuable dev time" on it then... sure sounds about like DBG.
  19. Accipiter Old Timer

$50 says Prathun uses it verbatim.
  20. Herf Augur

I don't see it in today's patch notes, but it may not have gone in this soon.