Will the free to play system be changing?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Gyurika Godofwar, Nov 1, 2017.

1. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

With the changes to the free to play system being implemented on EQ 2 I would like to know if we'll be getting changes here on EQ.

Will TBM become free to play when ROS is released on December 12th? Will Test still get EOK on or around December 12th or will that change? I'm sure several people if not everyone would like to know the answers to this so that they can plan accordingly.
  2. fransisco Augur

Test no longer gets expansions for free.
    If you do not purchase the expansion, you do not get access to it until it is ftp on live servers.

IMO this was a great decision.
  3. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I don't know where you got that info but we've had TBM since last year when EOK launched. This isn't a post to hate on Test. If that's your intent please take it elsewhere.
    Miss_Jackie likes this.
  4. Flatchy Court Jester

Is he not allowed his opinion? He prolly isnt the only one tired of hearing all the non paying people screaming for more.
    Tiggold and Sagarmatha like this.
  5. fransisco Augur

hrrmm...
    I swear the devs said they weren't gonna give out free xpacs on test anymore (only what is ftp). Is that not correct?

Either way, it should be that way. Pay 15$/month to support the game you play.
  6. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

I don't see why they shouldn't get the same expansion model as live players. I mean, they're doing live players and dev's alike a favor by testing content, yes?
    Geroblue likes this.
  7. Warpeace Augur

No, there was mention Test would have to buy the current expansions. Maybe a test player could answer it.
  8. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

I am paying for ROS 5-10 times over the next few weeks or so. Already got it for 3 accounts. I guess all the angry folks can't read when I asked whether Test would get EOK when ROS goes live or not. I'm just going to ask a mod to delete this thread since there' so much negativity.
  9. Gialana Augur

We were definitely told at one point that test would no longer be getting free expansions outside of what is free on Live. However, I believe they backed off on this.

I have an account that I just dink around with, so I haven't bought any expansions on it, yet. When I copied a character to test, I was able to zone him into TBM and use TBM discs and abilities. I don't think I checked on EoK stuff, though. This was a few weeks ago.
  10. Gnomeland Augur

A lot of bad information so here's the deal, currently:

* On Live, expansions TWO years and older are free. Thus, right now TDS is free on Live, but The Broken Mirror and Empires of Kunark are not.
    * On Test, expansions ONE year and older are free. Thus, right now The Broken Mirror is free on Test, but Empires of Kunark is not.

On Live, all accounts that do not pay $15 a month or the equivalent, are free to play accounts. On Test, there are no free to play accounts - all accounts are "paid" for.

Test has double experience and all veteran benefits; Live does not.

Despite all of the above, Test has a low population, due to: no raiding guilds, no economy, constant down time / broken content as TLP content is pushed onto Test even though the server is technically a Live server.

Thus, for example, Test has TLP style raids for all early content up to LDoN, and the early levels are a mix of fast, double Live server experience gain and classic, TLP spell values. It's basically a mess.

As to whether Test and Live should continue to get expansions for free, that's not anyone's call except for the developers. I will say this, though - it's unlikely anyone who plays on Test will be willing to pay for subscriptions. So introduce subscriptions, and the server will die.
  11. Gnomeland Augur

Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  12. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Yeah I don't know if someone had a reading comprehension issue with what I typed or just decided to take a shot at us "mooching Test players" but I was just asking because of what Gnomeland linked to. I don't want a player response so much as a Daybreak employee official response.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  13. mmats Augur

This

I think most people on Test have at least one char with a paid sub (on either Live or Test). Test gives the ability to fart around with alt box crews because of the free gold status up to all but the latest expansion.

Without those benefits in place, maybe 5 individuals would pay for an account on Test over Live. And another 10 might testcopy from Live occasionally. It would dry up pretty fast.
  14. Aurastrider Augur

As a paying member with 5 all access accounts year round and 2-3 accounts I sub periodically throughout the year and purchase between 8-11 expansions every year I have nothing but respect for those who play on test especially those who actually spend some of their time actually testing new features and providing feedback. People that see even those who are ftp that actually test stuff as moochers are ignorant imo. If you consider how much money DBG saves by not hiring actual testers and having the player base do the testing this is a win win situation. Not having to spend money on testers means we can keep our already low sub rates low and it also means the developers can spend time working on new features and improvements instead of spending countless hours doing what players on test do. It is not a perfect system as things get missed on test and make it to live, things get reported by the test players and don't get fixed before they make it to live and sure some ftp players on test don't do any testing. In the end the benefits of test for both the company financially and us as players in terms of potential savings and a more enjoyable gaming experience far outweigh making restrictions to offset a potential freeloader. I hope they open up ROS to those on test.
  15. Tatanka Joe Schmo

TLICR;DR (too lacking in carriage returns; didn't read)
    Nolrog likes this.
  16. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

So far I've bought ROS standard edition 4 times. I plan on getting it for one more of mine soon when finances permit and then gradually 5-6 more after that. So I will have contributed more than Tatanka or any of the other nay sayers are likely to contribute financially as far as ROS itself goes.

Some people just have to look at things in a negative and antagonistic manner for whatever reason.
  17. Tatanka Joe Schmo

God, you are so full of yourself.

I 1 box these days. It's subbed, and I pre-ordered RoS the day it was offered. But thanks for assuming you know what you're talking about.

And what naysaying did I do? I simply made a joke about a hard-to-read post. How is that naysaying anything?

And not to put too fine a point on it, but here's me in another thread just 6 days ago:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/ros-and-tbm.244627/page-2#post-3595188

So, tell me again about where I'm not contributing or advocating for other to not contribute to RoS?
  18. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Damn! I'm sorry I had a long day and replied to the wrong person and named the wrong person! I'm so sorry Tatanka! My bad dude!
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Oh, well that makes sense then. Sorry I went off, I was just really confused :)

Wench, more ale all around!
  20. jeskola pheerie

Did you lose money on Conor?