MoTM, why is it still a thing?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Painful, Oct 23, 2017.

1. Painful New Member

Just the 2cp of a casual player who comes and goes randomly, but why is MoTM still on TLP servers? Originally if I remember right it was to make everything take an 'actual raid force' and give people time to gather and DPS race each other or some kind of nonsense, but then they put in instances to remove the need for MoTM completely, yet still it remains. If you want it to stay in so current content is 'challenging' sure, whatever floats your boat, but in what grand scheme of things is it still left on old content more than 2-3 expansions old other than to shaft anyone who doesn't box?
  2. Kahna Augur

It is still in because otherwise content is stupidly trivial in era.

As for why it is still in after several expansions have passed. It is most likely because making old content easier so that you can solo it is not high on their to-do list. If it even registers at all. If fact, I would be willing to bet money that the devs think you not being able to solo old raid content easily is a good thing.
  3. Bobbybick Only Banned Twice

Because the flag on whether or not to MoTM the bosses is simply tied to whether the server is a Progression-style server or not. This flag doesn't care what expansion is currently unlocked.
  4. Aziuno Augur

5. Numiko Augur

and when are we getting rid of this true box code! :p
    We are getting to the point when Alt+Tab boxing existed in classic EQ! :eek:
  6. Finchy Augur

maybe the flag isn't specific to 1 server. /shrug
  7. Darchon_Xegony Augur

This is a very interesting question.

I'm curious if Phinigel will ever either be made non-truebox or merged into a normal server without this restriction.

The truebox code served its purpose so far on Phinigel, I'm curious how much longer it's really necessary as group content trends to instancing and raid content becomes more complex penalizing lazy boxing.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Group content never becomes completely instanced. There are always significant open world portions of each expansion (with the sole exception of LDON.)

That said, I firmly believe truebox code will become a bigger detriment than draw at some point in the server's life. They can either remove it at that point, or face a much faster crashing population. I am betting they will leave it in and chalk up the server's death to something else.
  9. Finchy Augur

i'd say when mercs are introduced there is not really a need for it anymore.
  10. Adonhiram Augur

Voted, commented, come on guys, get rid of that stupid MotM which isn't needed anymore.
  11. Semah Augur

Put it this way: if the expansion's AA would be autogranted if it had any, why is its content still MotM?

I'm a big fan of staggered reduction. If you're worried about stuff spawning outside of main pick, just reduce the level of MoTM.
  12. Numiko Augur

Also wonder if we will ever get the Recruit a Friend Bonus, it launched summer of 2011 so I imagine if we ever see it wont be until HoT > VoA time....
  13. Behee Augur

From the Progression Server FAQ:

Q: Will Recruit-A-Friend or other account-based bonuses apply to Progression Servers?
    No. These and account bonuses will not apply to characters on Progression Servers.
  14. Machentoo Augur

Except they do apply to characters on some progression servers, so you can't really trust the FAQ as the definitive word forever.
  15. snailish Augur

I'll be somewhat surprised if a truebox progression server loses that status before going F2P. (though I don't recall if Brekt is truebox or F2P, but it's kind of a different animal).

I'm not convinced Phinny will go F2P, as keeping it's special ruleset behind a paywall makes $en$e. At some point it becomes a special ruleset live server without the F2P factor... that may be a draw to some... and they can always boost the xp rate to make it the premium live server.
  16. Machentoo Augur

A truebox server would never be the "premium" live server. Boxing is far too ingrained on live.
  17. snailish Augur

It would be a bit of a science experiment no? (and one that can only be done if Phinny keeps population into the 90+ content).

I mean premium as in you are paying more to play here, not that it would be the most populated server with all the top guilds.

Back to the experiment:

If Phinny rules stay as-is, but xp rate is made better than live/FV/Zek (which aren't all the same xp rate now) does that factor defeat free to play and the ability to easily box (vs. truebox) making Phinny a strong population server that everyone is paying to play on?

My thoughts at this time would be... maybe.
  18. Machentoo Augur

People always assume that subscription required = you are paying more, but the whole free to play model was not designed to bring in less money. And you need a subscription to play current live content anyway.
  19. Adonhiram Augur

Yes, Machentoo is right, all major games switched to F2P because it brings more money to make people pay for unlocking things or getting items on a per-event basis instead of a monthly abonnement.

We on TLPs do both lol :) We pay a monthly fee (for those of us not fueling our characters through kronos) AND we buy bags, mounts, illusion clickies and other sh*t. We are the perfect guys, except we don't buy the new expansions.
  20. Machentoo Augur

I'd suggest that current live players are even moreso. They need to have a sub to access live content, but they have a lot more dbc store options than we do too, including all those bags and mounts and also all sorts of other things.