info is out of date on https://www.everquest.com/game-overview

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Mishakaal, Oct 9, 2017.

1. Mishakaal Journeyman

See 23 expansions instead of 21 have been released, etc.

I don't know where to post this so here goes. But coming back to the game i see things have changed for the worst and things need to be done.

I might suggest you review your online marketing material. Also, Everquest should have a much stronger marketing presence online to draw in new subscribers and much needed fresh blood.

1. A Luclin style graphics upgrade across the board to keep up to date.
    https://www.cryengine.com/showcase/lichdom-battlemage or https://www.unrealengine.com/en-US/features
    Optimized graphics and loading times would also greatly help put some vigor into the game. Everquest graphics are very heavy in resources compared to most games even though they aren't with polygons count.
    2. http://www.pantheonmmo.com/#section1 competition is going to be there even more and this time they are doing what EQ1 should have done all along, upgrade the same game with what it needs and not create another one.
    3. Servers merger across all realms to boost up the population by increasing the active player base on those servers with people to group with, not only on 6 realms.
    14 REALMS are inactive/low population so please bring together 12 of those realms to form 3 big servers who will always have something to do and tons of people of all levels, genders and classes to quest together. Screw mercs, I want full groups of players just like in the prime era of this game. I don't wanna do a /who to see half are afk and half are alts loaded to try accomplish nothing in POK! It will also allow people to find it more interesting and get things done!
    Progression servers seem to be fine so leave them be as they are.

Agnarr
    up Antonius Bayle (EU)
    up Bertoxxulous
    up Brekt
    up Bristlebane
    up Cazic Thule
    up Drinal
    up Erollisi Marr
    up Fippy Darkpaw (TLP)
    up Firiona Vie (RP)
    up Lockjaw
    up Luclin
    up Phinigel
    up Povar
    up Ragefire
    up The Rathe
    up Trakanon
    up Tunare
    up Vox
    up Vulak`Aerr (TLP)
    up Xegony
    up Zek

Thank you,

Misha
  2. Aurastrider Augur

As far as the info page it is correct. It says you get 21 expansions plus the base game to play for free. If you want expansions 22 and 23 you have to pay for them. Look at the wording again and it will make sense.

I have no comment on graphics as I don't care. I would rather have fun content than superior graphics but maybe that's just me.

I agree it would be nice if they advertised the game more to bring in new players but I think some things need to change first. For starters general chat really needs to just be open to everyone. As I have stated before if I was new to this game and just trying it out I would think nobody plays this game if I tried to talk in new player channel which is the only thing available. This would be a turn off for many people especially if they did not know there are players out there but they cant hear them because hardly anyone who is all access actually is in new player channel.

As far as a massive server merger no thank you. The degree in which you propose will cause just as many issues as it solves. Unless they added pick zones to all zones and decreased the spawn timers significantly for things like the planar mobs it would make planar progression nearly impossible. Not to mention trying to farm mats to advance the new trade skill AA's would become increasingly difficult and people that box are still going to box. You will have more solo players having options to group but I think you will be disappointed with the end result. If they could allow cross server grouping and raiding some how this would be the best of both worlds.
  3. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

You don't have to change a game that has been around 18 - yes figgin EIGHTEEN years. It keeps going just like the energizer bunny and you would not change his drum would you? They must be doing something right - oh yeah they created the AGNARR server where people can go play old style EQ with no mercs and lots of grouping!
  4. High Voltage Augur

Just buy EQ from Columbus and then put in hundreds of thousends of cash to make this happen.lol
  5. Nennius Curmudgeon

It does make one wonder just what DBG would cost on the open market. Far beyond my pitiful means, but I do have a few wealthy friends. Hmmmm
  6. code-zero Augur

Massive server merges are a game killer. I know dozens of people I was formerly guilded with who quit the last time there were merges and I know of only a few who ever came back. No one really likes heavily populated zones and most just tolerate them with the release of new expansions until they can do whatever progression is required and get spread out comfortably again
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

with zone picks becoming more common there could be some server mergers.. doesnt have to be massive just merge the biggest half with the smallest half.

The servers shouldn't feel overpopulated if done right. And for as many that quit on a merger I am sure others quit because of an under populated server. Fact is only Daybreak has the stats to say which works out better.
  8. Smokezz The Bane Crew

They would never make the money back on a huge overhaul of EQ like that.
  9. Mishakaal Journeyman

They did with EQ2 ;p
  10. Jumbur Improved Familiar

DBG is fully capable of using their own in-house engines, free of licensing fees, and with manpower who are already trained in using it. I don't think it would make sense for them to buy an engine from another company. If they wanted to update the engine they could use the one from H1Z1 or the EQNext engine.

That said, I think porting EQ to a modern engine(even an engine they already know) would be an enormous task, as Im not sure the original game was designed with modularity in mind. The programming standards were different back in 1997-1999? where I think the design foundation was made.
    Im not against the idea of a complete overhaul/port-to-a-new-engine though, as Im sure there are a lot of early design mistakes that are still bothering the devs to this day. :)
    They would probably have to redo most of it from scratch, but if DBG truly believe EQ1 will still be around 5+ more years it would probably be worth it...
  11. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

I don't understand why you would drive a Prius. Just take that 1997 Honda Civic you are diving and swap out the engine for a Prius. This would work out amazingly well. <- Basically the same argument you made about the engine. While Forge Light (H1Z1/EQN engine) is heavily based on the EQ1 engine (the mind boggles), swapping them out would be nearly impossible.

Even just putting a DB back-end on EQ1 took nearly a year due to the way current engine works and even then it couldn't be made truly asynchronous again due to the the way it was originally coded.
  12. Jumbur Improved Familiar

True, I don't expect swapping out the engine entirely would be an easy task.

A more likely scenario would be to rewrite just the current graphic-render part, to make use of dx10/dx11 functions. They have previously done so for dx7 -> dx8(luclin) and dx8 -> dx9(uf? think they added bloom during the dx9-transition?) upgrades, without changing the client-architecture fundamentally.

Since they have officially dropped support for everything pre-win7, they no longer have any obligation to limit themselves to dx9.
  13. Brunnt ForceTrauma Lorekeeper

That would change the min spec. Do you really think that would go over well?
  14. Jumbur Improved Familiar

It hasn't stopped them before...

Are there any computers capable of installing Everquest that doesn't have a dx10 gpu? :confused:

And DBG didn't say anything about dx9 being the minimum spec...they mention specific cards, that does not have win7 drivers...:p

It might hurt the 40-boxers(with only one box), but I think no one else would mind, as long as the higher requirements meant a more modern looking game...it might even result in a more efficient and optimized client....