Massive tell, channel, and zoning lag on AB server

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Adroxia, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Roxxlyy Augur

Good to see these mentions of improvement - the last patch did specifically include a handful of fixes that were intended to improve some of the issues that were affecting AB server performance.

I know the server is still not in an ideal state, but as you can see these fixes are indeed rolling out (and hopefully this makes things feel a bit better for the immediate future).
  2. Gaol Journeyman

It's a massive shame it took so many months of complaints and pleas for action for those 'handful of fixes' to be implemented. So many wasted hours and so much frustration.
    Vaako_SK likes this.
  3. Vaako_SK Lorekeeper

Chat lag has improved, but there is still random lag spikes where gameplay basically freezes completely.
    And like Gaol said, this fix should have been in place in the beginning of 2017 !
  4. Deillusional Augur

We do need it completely fixing or almost completely for expansion release, is this planned to happen?
  5. smash Augur

I wish I could clap my hands like some of the others.

However I do not feel we much further than how it was in June, and at that point it was far from good.

There still a LOT improvement needed.

Yesterday there were rather lagged in zoning at around 19.30 cet.
  6. Imrahil Augur

Better != good, sadly.

Yes, this week was an improvement over the weeks before so that's nice, but things still need to improve further or I doubt many on AB will buy RoS.
    eliandra likes this.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

What he said.
    Let's not forget that the situation became even worse than ever before the last 4 to 6weeks before the last patch.
    So the situation we have now is a definite and noticeable improvement over what we had just before that, but it's still far from "good".
    Only "better" (which is relative, "more bearable" (which is subjective) and "less impacting".
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Hey devs! just a suggestion: When you finally get everything fixed(or think you have) and need to stress-test the server, I suggest you make a longish xp bonus for AB. Thats usually an effective stress-test.

Most of the previous xp-bonus weeks have been disastrous for AB, If you want us to believe the server is fixed, then a bonus-week without server-hiccups might convince us!

;)
  9. Adroxia Elder

I am glad it's better, it's still nowhere near where it should be. I also want to see this performance level sustained for a few more weeks yet before I take any comfort that there is true progress and commit to buying an expansion.

As has been said, this was a text book example of utterly appalling communication, poor decision-making, and an insulting offer of a solution that was not worth the pixels it took to present it to us. This communication has pretty much burned all goodwill that the past lifetime of playing Everquest had built up, and I was a huge advocate of this game playing since 1999.

A big cleric nerf in the last patch has really upset me and my guild members as well, it's not been a very happy summer for us on AB.

I hope to see it better, I'm not optimistic as the trust has gone now, but I give the time until expansion launch to get this actually fixed and then will re-assess.
    eliandra, Imrahil and Arraden like this.
  10. Vaako_SK Lorekeeper

So once again the server is crap, at prime time on AB so much for the "fix"
    eliandra and Imrahil like this.
  11. Sheev Lorekeeper

Ah yes, chickens were counted before hatched. It's unplayable again. What fun!
  12. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Well...
    we did raid depsite chat-lag. but zoning and mass-disconnects gave us the rest - raid cancelled.

The day did not start too well, but the situation got better at around 20:00CET.
    Mass-disconnects at around 22:50CET - you might want to check the chat-server's logs around that time...
  13. Ryuda Journeyman

30% of zoning crashes into oblivion. Not that it needs time - the stupid EQ-Software simply hangs - 0% cpu time like always - killing task - entering EQ - hoping after x tries to enter the buggy server....

Properly programmed software should at least give a reasonable error message why something is wrong - if it only blacks out without doing anything than something more deep is going haywire in the development...
  14. Zhaunil_AB Augur

It looks as if the client simply waits for all eternity once it has issued a zoning-request or so.
    Programming in a timeout might be a somewhat tricky proposition, given the variance in response-times.

But yeah.. currently we have no idea if the request will arrive after some time or not.
    Sometimes the client seems "crashed" but after 3-5minutes the screen updates with the zoning bar...
    And sometimes (though not in quite some time now before today) it just "sits there" until we tare down the process manually.
    I thought the last patch, or the patch before that even, should have introduced some messages when this happens?
    If so, they do not work.
  15. Deillusional Augur

I am begininng to think its some type of memory leak too and cpu spiking the longer the server is up for, as it gets worse the larger the uptime.
  16. Siny Augur

Status: 10/1/2017 23:46 PDT - Antonius Bayle is currently down for scheduled maintenance.

More than happy that AB is down for fixing but where is it announced ?
  17. Vaako_SK Lorekeeper

Was wondering that also, if it's scheduled then why no info ??
  18. AB_H'Sishi Augur

The forum's banner message says now
    Network Maintenance - :) :) :) - that's promising!
  19. Kyzvs Augur

/sigh

Gotta love the refusal of DBG to communicate...

A rough ETA would be nice - 1 / 2 / 4 8+ hours indication would be nice :(
  20. Ryuda Journeyman

After Patch:

- Login:
    -> server error, after waiting for about a minute, login was possible
    -> Screen shows for about 5s nothing, no character, then after delay the characters appear
    -> extreme invite delays, about 10s to invite somebody in a group - like before
    -> bad lag for task updates, like yesterday - no change
    -> chat lag of about 4sec - bad

It seems, it gets slightly better. Less waiting time, only at the first time login error instead of trying it countless times for some minutes but the problem still persists. I somehow have the feeling EQ connects to a NAS with minimal login capacity...but perhaps this is only the difference to the catastrophical effects yesterday...