Ngreth's Daylight Savings Fix and the OOW Launch

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Machentoo, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Machentoo Augur

I know Ngreth fixed the issue with Daylight Savings Time for the Kunark launch on Agnarr.

You all have posted 3 PM PT on the home page, so it looks like that fix hasn't been applied to Phinigel (or the announcement is incorrect.) Was Ngreth's change a one off thing? How should we expect Daylight Savings Time to impact unlocks in the future?
  2. Machentoo Augur

Still finding brand new ways to keep us guessing about when the expansion will actually launch, after five years, impressive!
    Renshu and Adonhiram like this.
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

See...what had happen was...there was a solar eclipse and some of the daylight were saving got changed to night. Rest assured, the calculations to correct the clocks are being worked on!
  4. Roxxlyy Augur

I am bad at Daylight Savings Time, clocks, and all the like, but at the very least I can clear up that 3PM PT (or rather, PDT because that's what we're currently in) is indeed when OoW should be unlocking today.

Official announcements, especially articles, *should* always have the correct times for events and unlocks.
  5. Machentoo Augur

Roxxlyy,

The reason this is even an issue is because the last two official announcements for Phinigel expansion launches did NOT have the correct time listed. We have good reason for raising these questions.
  6. Roxxlyy Augur

Completely fair... But I get to write them now, which means I'll be double-triple checking!

I don't have the knowledge to speak on behalf of Ngreth and how the the game/unlock times are affected by time changes, but at the very least I'm going to make my best efforts to get the announced times right.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  7. Machentoo Augur

How do you know you have the right time if you don't know how the game/unlock times are affected by time changes?
  8. Nekromancy Elder

I think the odds are greater if they just guessed at their own release times.
  9. Hateseeker Augur

Is Ngreth named for Babylon 5's N'Grath?
  10. Ngreth Thergn Developer

The Daylight savings time issue was NOT fixed. It didn't happen for Agnarr because of WHEN Agnarr launched. It launched AFTER daylight savings time. and when the 12 weeks was added to the 2pm of its time, daylight savings time had not crossed again, so it came out accurately.

We have a plan for a solution, but will not be able to implement it for a while.
    Prathun likes this.
  11. Renshu Augur

Meanwhile, at DBG:

12. Nekromancy Elder

Why not just... manually do these things? It's not as if it's at 1am. It's something that happens on these servers every few months and it seems like an expansion launch goes poorly more than it works correctly. It's not funny when the customers can already assume an issue will come up because it's the norm.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Thanks Ngreth, exactly what I was looking for.
  14. AgentofChange Augur

Everytime they do things manually, something completely unrelated seems to get messed up. I don't blame them for not doing it manually. Especially if it's only 1 person. I imagine they are very content to let things happen automatically.
  15. Nekromancy Elder

I just meant like... manually turn the script on. Some guy looks at his watch at the correct time and presses a button.
  16. AgentofChange Augur

Ya, I know what you mean. They have done this before, and things have gone sideways real quick because of it. Then "that guy" becomes responsible for an expansion launch going poorly for hundreds or thousands of people, and probably doesn't know what to do to fix it because all he did was hit "yes" or something and should have cause 0 issues.

Doesn't sound fun to me. Do you want to be that guy?
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

And If *that person* is sick, or hospitalized, or more minorly... stuck with a flat tire... do you want to wait even more?

The script has a timing issue, and since humans made it there have been bugs, but it is a better solution than manual.
  18. Prathun Developer

The vast majority of automated events (bonus events, holidays, anniversary, hotzone rotations, etc.) function substantially more cleanly now that they're automated and using our newest tech. Untangling and re-architecting these events involved some complex, behind the scenes, messy work, and there have been bugs, but the overall result was worth it. I wouldn't want to go back to the days of setting unix times in scripts, remembering to update scripts periodically for new servers or next year's event times, and/or watching the clock to be sure and turn on/off a serverwide event at precisely the right moment.
  19. Zinth Augur

If you "forget" to turn off bonus exp for a few weeks after the intended time, then we will surely forgive you, but an expansion launch that is LATE should not happen, especially not "every time"

Thanks for all the work with Phinny though, love the server
  20. Rainlover Augur

From this and your other post in this topic, I want to thank you for your hard work for EQ both then and now. While there have been bugs (and always will be new ones) that had an impact on some in the community. I think this change overall is a good one.

Thank you!