How exactly do I box on live?

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by Fellorin, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Fellorin New Member

So after seeing so many people boxing on Firiona Vie I've wanted to try it out myself but I don't understand how it works. All of them move at the exact same time and whenever one player attacks then everyone else attacks. For me I just made a Macro for following my main character and have to keep switching from one account to the other so I can cast spells and heal. What do boxers use so they can make all characters move at once and attack at once? Also I want to mention that I don't have 2 monitors, I only use 1.
  2. Scorrpio Augur

There are a couple software choices, such as [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], where you can essentially translate commands to multiple instances of EQ from one screen, and have access to everyone's skill/spell bars at once. Most people who do the full 6-box use that.
    You can also set up multi-action macros so that characters do a sequence of commands in one click/keypress.
    I personally box two accounts, and I run on two monitors. No alt-tabbling, I just click this or that window. Confusing at first, but you get better with practice. IMHO, Alt-Tabbing is the worst option there is.
  3. Treiln Augur

I alt tab haha. I have two monitors, and only use the second monitor when running 3+.

But I'm not a fan of 3, so I went back to just 2. Alt tab works for me. But like Scorrpio said, I have my second toon set up with a few macros. First macro will Tash, Slow, Debuff. Second one will DoT, DD, DoT, DoT, DD.

All the while I sit on my tank and smack things. If things get hairy, I make sure I have aggro, swap to the second toon and CC as needed
  4. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Windowed mode, ALT-Tab and a few socials is how i do it.
    Like Trelin, i mostly do 2accounts at a time but am ok with 3.
    When i do 3 though, i tend to make one of them puller so i can neglect his moving for example.
    Any more than the 3 does not work well enough to bother on my current 1-machine-setup.

"Back then" i have boxed 5 and 6 accounts over two machines ok with this method,
    (In Qvic for example, while wearing a mix of LDoN group,PoP raid and OoW group gear when OoW was current)

You can see, if you watch people boxing, if they're using "forbidden" software - or at least make a VERY good guess at it.
    /autofollow is easy enough if the machine can support the load (else it breaks too often).
    But positioning of melee chars and such - that is a sure sign of macroing or not.
    Casters are by far the easiest classes to box and "macro" in a legal way.

And never forget:
    The more characters you box, the less effective each one is.
    Your... "ability" to adjust to "surprises" is more than limited.
  5. asfasfasfasf Augur

I boxed for many years with just alt tabbing. It is so hard at first but you get used to it and eventually you become a master of whizzing between characters. On EQ Mac I 6 boxed a full group with no automation or broadcasting software and no macros. And only years later did I get some virtual desktops software to let me tab to any character by pressing a key combination.

Personally I would suggest being careful what software you can use because you could get banned for it. It also isn't essential. Setup a hotkey on each of your characters except the main guy, that makes them follow. So say your main guy is a tank called Bob, and you have a mage and a wiz, setup a hotkey that says this:

/tar bob
    /tar bob
    /tar bob
    /pause 3
    /fol

I do the target thing 3 times and then have a slight pause because lag sometimes makes it not work otherwise. So with this you can just tab to each character press the hotkey, and start running and they will follow you. To stop them following just tab to each and tap a direction or back and they will stop. Also setup another hotkey the same style but with assisting so you target the mob on your main guy, then you switch to each character and just hit their assist button, and then you can nuke away and they will all be on the same target.

And in combat, run in and aggro stuff, switch to your healer, cast a heal over time, switch to your damage character and nuke away. It is simple really, just keep doing it so you get faster and better at it.

Also avoid using melees because you have to run them individually into place which is a pain. There is stuff that will automate all this but it will probably get you banned.
  6. Hingabe Augur

Also, you can put pause on the same line as other commands. /pause #, /target bob.. or, /pause x, /cast x etc. Another thing you can do is, set up 2 hotkeys on the same keystroke. And bury one of them in the hotkey pages. With correctly timed pauses, you can set up rather long sets of commands just using the in-game social system. But also make a hotkey for /stop social. To reset it all so you can start over if something dies before the social runs it's full course. Alt tabbing works fine, if you have your UI set up identical, but like anything, it takes a lot of getting used to. Especially when you have more than 2 instances open. Idk if there is any legal software to turn alt tab into a one key window switch, I've never really needed it. I just use 3 laptops and wireless numpad(s) near my main. But it would be nice. I'm sure there is something like that, but I don't know.. I guess if Logitech g series keyboards are allowed, you could just make keys that alt tab to specific windows. But idk
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Nothing unmentionable about the s/w you allude to. It's called [Unmentioned 3rd Party Software], and it allows you to send key commands to each screen without having to swap to that screen. It's also not banned.

There is another, not-to-be-named product, which allows for automation (run a script, let it play). That s/w IS banned.

Tat

PS - hehe, saw my post, and realized it's EQ banning the name. That's new, they didn't used to do that. Well, just remember, the other s/w IS for Boxers ;)

PPS - just to clarify, the not-banned, but not-to-be-named s/w IS banned on certain servers (some of the newer special ruleset servers).
  8. Scorrpio Augur

The distinction is simple: if you are still at the controls, pushing buttons yourself, even if you use software that simplifies doing that across several running instances, it is fine. Using botting software that runs a script and plays the game for you, is not fine.
  9. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Exactly.

They didn't used to block mentioning the "still have to be at the controls" s/w. That's something new.
  10. asfasfasfasf Augur

Do you happen to know a dev quote for this? I saw something like that once but I can't find it.
  11. Elite01 New Member

No need to scare noobs with the ban hammer.
    The fact of the matter is that the rules was changed a couple years back.

You ARE allowed to use BOTH third party tools they "censor" as "unmentioned blah" here on the board, AS LONG AS YOU ATTEND! And as long as you don't abuse or modify any of those tools to perform so called "active hacks" AND as long as you don't use them (or try to use them) on a truebox server.

Those are facts. Argue against that all you want but it's the truth.
  12. Tatanka Joe Schmo

That is my understanding, as well.
  13. Questoften32 Augur

How it works! What kinda question is that?! First get on a monk, then you gotta want it man! Gotta be hungry! Eye of the tiger! Then you gotta keep your guard up in the ring, jab, jab,jab and give them rats hell!
  14. Tucoh Augur

Here's my setup that is much more grandiose than you need, but might have some ideas to get you started. Nothing specific in it is required to box effectively.

https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/tucos-setup-critique-welcome.240258/
  15. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

This thread has some good points from Rosh and others: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...ftware-and-boxing.221973/page-37#post-3245775

To save you all the onerous task of reading the whole thing with the same pros and cons as are in this thread the bottom line is that DBG is saying UNATTENDED anything is grounds for being banned.So players decided to take this to mean if your using one of these tools and are at the keyboard then its ok.

But further on in the EULA is also states anything that alters the client is also grounds for getting suspended.

None of these 3rd party programs are necessary to play EQ so why take the chance? Many players box 2 - 8 - 10 how many ever characters without them. Like most things in life such as employee rules, laws, codes etc there are many interpretations and the one that affects you is the one they (the governing authority) choose to use when they arrest/ban/kick out or otherwise smack you around.

I am allowed to carry a gun in most states but it is frowned upon if I walk into a bank waving it around however if its in a holster they don't get as upset.:D
  16. kinadafz Augur

Macro'd keyboards are nice instead of alt tabbing. Set up a macro that swaps to each session, and hits the appropriate macro for each toon.

F1, 7, F2, 7, F3, 7, etc etc where Fx is the shortcut to the EQ session and 7 is they key that does stuff like pet attack, cast whatever, etc.

Then, swap to Fx and move toon around as needed, or, simply keep hitting your other macro key, which does F1, 8, F2, 8, F3, 8 etc etc where the 8 key is your mash key of AA's and what not. Then, do the same for "burn", 9 key, which activates your burns. Same thing for follow, etc.

But, get a mag, and either wizard or druid, makes travel really easy. Although guild portal makes travel really easy also. Mag is great, run one toon to camp then coh the rest.
  17. iVALADYANx That's a Necromancer

i install eq setup into a new folder and run windowed mode. sound off. spells off. grass off. low clip plane. all adv display off. names off.

pause 60 is what i found let me have 5 line macros

/pause 60, /cast 1
    /pause 60, /cast 2
    /pause 60, /cast 3
    /pause 60, /cast 4
    /pause 60, /cast 5
  18. Treiln Augur

Depends on the cast timer + recast timer. With haste + reduction AAs, I've found 50 works swell. I could probably even tweak it a little lower since I have noticed some down time between refresh and cast time.
  19. Tatanka Joe Schmo

It depends on the spell you cast. Some will need 60, some 50, some could be 35. Play with it and see.
  20. daranged Lorekeeper