Increase plat limit in /bazaar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tinyfeet, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Niskin Clockwork Arguer

I like the idea of a plat sink, although any reasonable one would probably be more development work than it's worth in the short term. Ideally a good plat sink will soak up money from those who have the most without hurting those who don't. I've been back in game since May and have about 200k plat, which is nothing in the grand scheme, but would be more comparatively if those with millions of plat had something to burn theirs on.

So what kind of sink could do that? My first thought is plat for lockout timer reductions. Is this needed? I don't know. If raiders pooled their plat to shorten lockouts they could raid things more often, assuming they wanted to and were capable of arranging that. Outside of people who raid it gets trickier, what could bazaar traders and people who play a lot want? What could be offered to them for plat that wouldn't be overpowering and wouldn't be considered "must have" for those who don't have the extra plat laying around.

It's just going to keep getting worse if something doesn't change. Raiders don't need much plat when their gear comes from raids. Traders do it for the thrill or what have you, but the side effect is gaining lots of money. Until people in those situations have a use for their plat they will continue to use it for the one thing that might benefit them, Krono, and those prices will continue to rise. Not that I want to discourage plat for Krono trades, just the wild inflation on them as time passes.
  2. kizant Augur

Of course they can solve the problem and although I'd like it fixed I have a hard time disagreeing with that stance. It doesn't effect every server, you have a workaround by auctioning via chat channels, not a lot of people (relatively) say they need it, and the work involved+risk is probably fairly decent so it would push back other more important things.

I'm not really surprised more people haven't asked for it. Unless you're on FV what do you really need it for? Selling krono and eok rares on regular servers? Not something that everyone does. So, unless someone thinks of a clever solution they can do fairly easily or 100+ people post here saying it's the most important to thing them.. We're probably stuck for a while longer.
  3. Ishtass Augur

Can we just remove copper / silver / gold? :)
  4. Millianna Augur

That is not at all what was said. There are consequences for any change and those consequences out weigh any benefits.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  5. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Personally, I think they should introduce some gentle platsinks instead, like crafted statfood/drink where some of the vendor bought components costs around 50 plats or so, and remove the forcefeeding mechanic.

Or some new crafted powersources, where some of the vendor bought components aren't super cheap.

Jewel crafters should be able to craft purity-augs...

Or the simple one: that vendor in pok who sells potions(like clarity), make those potions stack with everything.

You know luxuries, that aren't strictly needed, but normal players will still use them on occasions. Consumables is a fine platsink.
    Make a "consumable recipe" for each tradeskill...

If normal players uses a little more plat while playing they won't have as much to waste on the /baz trades for super expensive stuff, and eventually prices will drop
  6. Millianna Augur

The last few expansions have actually reduced the plat sinks. Look at the armor. We went from requiring a crafting component, to requiring only a container, to just click the stuff. It takes have a dozen kills at most to pay for an entire hour of J5 mercs. There has got to be a logical reason for this.
  7. Zhaunil_AB Augur

The only items where the plat limit is an issue are Kronos and raid-equivalent rares (which are traded for kronos anyways, mostly).
    Introducing platsinks won't do much good in that regard.
    The real problem is the constant creation of new" platinum and the non-existance of any restriction to the money-supply.
    i.e. a disctict lack of even just a half- economic model.
    Which makes the "value" of in-game currency non-existant.

They can increase the realm of the variables or introduce anything you mentioned and more if they want, but prices on player-sold stuff will know only one direction, and that's "up".
  8. smash Augur

So true. I have never had a krono and will never get one, but I think in 1 year time the price will be double of what it is now and a LOT of other stuff will follow.
  9. Jumbur Improved Familiar

But if they introduce more platsinks, then the overall amount of plat per server will not increase so drastically. That will mean people won't be able to earn as much plat as they used to, and will therefore not be able to pay the high prices in baz. The sellers will therefore have to lower their prices...

If players "create" less plat per play-session, they will have less plat to spend.

Or am I misunderstanding something? :confused:

Another platsink suggestion: introduce more destinations for the guildhall-portal, the more often it changes the more plat "leaves" the server.
  10. chronicler Augur

Do that and you tresspass into wizard/druid area. Beside it will be only peanuts, and just see raiders during a raid evening, when some need to change the portal to some other destination, then everyone is like Uncle Scrooge, hoping someone else will change it.

Add to that, if u move the destination from 1 spot to another, 10 sec b4 someone else would have taken it to spot 1, then you can literally see the blood veins stand out, b4 you get tell, why did u ....
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Wizard/druid ports has been reduced to personal perks years ago, it is no longer an "area". There hasn't been a wizard/druid port in years that isn't already "overlapped" by the guildhall portal.
    A good platsink will have to be "peanuts" in order to work, thats why nobles failed, it was too expensive. Mercs are a good platsink exactly because it is so cheap.
  12. chronicler Augur

You can say so about ports for druids/wizards, but that is for the new zones, there nothing for those, old zones however and you see them puff up.

And you kind of forget what EQ mostly is, a timesink, so if you can get anywhere fast, then it is counter to that. And is there any zones today that is max 5 zones away from any click/push ? Imo, we already overspoiled as it is.

If it was me, I would during a coming expansion make there come a cataclysm, which would effect wizard/druid spells, and they would all forget their transport spells. In PoK, the stones would break, in guild hall the only item in guild portal that still Work, would be to guild banner. The nexus would Work as normal, but only because people need to be able to get to the moon.

The click Things to the locations will fail 75% of the time, by porting you to some different location.
  13. Captain Video Augur

They can store the Bazaar prices any way they please, it doesn't affect anything else in the game world. If there is an issue regarding access to Bazaar price tables from outside the zone, e.g. via parcel delivery, just make transactions above 2M plat require zoning to the Bazaar itself. Easy peasy.

There is a non-programming reason to maintain the present limit. It encourages/forces more trades to be made via Kronos, and that results in additional cash revenue for DBG. Personally I have nothing against Kronos, anything that helps the revenue stream and keeps the game going is a Good Thing (TM), but please let's not kid ourselves into thinking this is about coding and only coding.
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

*tinfoil hat on*
    Wouldn't raising the bazaar platinum limit make Kronos easier to sell for platinum, thereby selling more Kronos?

*tin foil hat off*
    All of which has to be designed, coded, tested and rolled out. Maybe it is easy peasy and one guy can do it on his lunch break. Is it really worth the resources? Just discussing how it should be done uses resources.
    svann likes this.
  15. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I have no clue how "ugly" the code is, but if they manually handle pointer addresses. Where field-addresses in some of the data structures is described as x*(number of bytes), then switching from 32 bit to 64 bit for some of the fields can require you to rearrange the entire data-structure by hand, with new address-offsets. Otherwise the second half of the plat-value could "overlap" other data in the same address-space.

Yes, code like that is actually possible(stupid in most cases, but possible), If the code was like that, I can see why they wouldn't want to touch it.

When transferring data between 2 platforms(client-server), you have to specify the size of the memory-block you want to transfer(in some systems), and I could imagine they calculated those sizes in bytes with hardcoded values(assuming plat is always 4 bytes in lenght, instead of using a "sizeof"-function). There are better ways to do it, but I don't know what practices were used back when the code was written, But they might have had a tight size-budget in packet sizes in the netcode or something, changing a value-type from 32 bit to 64 bit can in some cases be a nightmare.
  16. Captain Video Augur

Players have no way of gathering authoritative statistics on how many Kronos are sold/traded for plat vs. how many are sold/traded for items. I'm pretty sure DBG does, however, and I would not expect them to publicly disclose that info. If I were in their shoes, I would be paying close attention to that report on a month-to-month basis.

From what I can see, the plat farming for Kronos is all happening on the TLPs, where the plat inflation is still relatively small, and the 2M plat limit won't be sniffed for a long time yet. I am a casual player (on live and Agnarr) and I have no interest in farming plat, and have never bought a Krono. The only thing that might ever tempt me to buy a Krono would be for some ultra-rare item I'm not anywhere close to needing yet. Meaning: the % of the playerbase who actually care about the 2M plat limit is very very very small.
  17. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I soooooo want to do this!!!!
    Ryak, fransisco and Jumbur like this.
  18. NameAlreadyInUse #CactusGate

I would be so disappointed if you put resources towards this before fixing the /baz.
  19. Miss_Jackie Custom Title

So was bag size until the devs finally gave in and gave us bigger bags (for the longest time, their reasoning for no bigger bags was "coding"). So, uh. Yeah.
  20. kizant Augur

No it doesn't. It just forces you to use chat channels to find a buyer. That's it.

People trade plat for krono so they don't have to spend real money to renew their subscription. Plus you can use kronos as a way to transfer plat between servers. Neither of those things would change if the bazaar limit were increased. Sure, it's a little more convenient to use krono as your main currency in the same way that platinum is more convenient than gold but that's a pretty small thing in comparison and doesn't improve if the limit was changed.