Hunter achievment reward

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Elkar Headhunter, Sep 2, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. smash Augur

Nobody is forcing you to do anything thats purely up to yourself. You may like it or not, thats also up to you. Nothing is required, but purely optionel.

You can ofc, stop if you want, if something is put it, thats also up to you. But I doubt they will stop doing stuff, just because some says: I will stop if they do that.

You feel that they "force" people to do stuff now a certain path, due to achievements, as you see it, it is still up to people to decide, do I do this, or not. I do not see archievements as something I am forced to do. I see them as SoE/DBG gives me information on what kind of tasks are there in the game, and what have I not yet done, and what did I never know there was. A BIG help Tool in that regard.

If you do not wanna know what named you miss, then do not check achievements, you can remove the hot keys for it, and I guess u might probably be able to make sure you never see it.

But however it is not up to you to decide what other people shall do or not do.
  2. Cicelee Augur

Yes, yes, and yes. Requiring people to kill gray cons in order to obtain a "super hunter achievement" augment is not right.

At the end of the day, I feel it is probably best to not have any type of reward (at least a super augment). When these prior expansion hunter achievements came out, it gave something extra for people to do if they wanted to. Months and months after the fact, to come out and say that completion results in xyz augment would not necessarily be fair to those who did not jump on the "AFK in guild hall and join the hunter raid" bandwagon that quite a few have done.

Now, had the hunter achievements been released and communication was given to the players that completing all of them results in xyz augment... then players had an opportunity to decide if they want to pursue it (just like the Artisan prize). Furthermore if the raid functionality would not have been instituted in the beginning, then it would require each individual player to "work" to kill the grey cons in prior expansion.

I do like the idea of an illusion from each expansion based off of killing the named in said expansion. Not game breaking, not improving your character, but providing some flavor and uniqueness to your character. Especially now that you can zone with illusions on...
  3. Cicelee Augur

I am confident there would be a lot of casual non raider players who would balk at an Achievement point augment, since those players would not be able to obtain the raid achievements from current and the past couple of expansions since they do not raid. And it would only be when they could start to solo prior expansion raids would they be able to get the credit for the raid achievements.

Unless the raid achievements do not count. Or they do count, but the total achievement score is lowered by the total raid achievement amount, and those raiders who have them done just get a bonus because they have them...
  4. smash Augur

How about make so that all those newly entered hunter will only give rewards for people WHO has not entered expansion SoF or GoD, when you enter that, the reward is nullified, but you then have to put in hunter for SoF/Underfoot, and let a reward evolve from there and up.

That way you would make sure the TLP can get old expansions rewards, and live servers can new high level rewards, it should also make balancing the reward, if any easier.

If a reward, why an aug, it could as well be a special AA, that would give you 1% extra to critical damage, 1% extra to your heals and such. Or if dont like %, then a fixed value, to be sure inflation dont go berzerk.

You say the normal servers not relevant, but maybe it should be changed to relevant for characters up lvl 65.
  5. ShadowMan Augur

Hate to see people leave but quit then. If them adding 2 or 3 meta quest augments that utilize all that prior content makes you so that you can no longer play just because they exist, then you were out the door anyway very soon. They are completely optional and fact of the matter is even if each was 300 ac and 5k hps, mana and end it still does basically nothing at all to actual game play.

People just to would shut the game down already then. It needs to be no where near that complex as the standard status quo thats been around since inception remains. Typically groupers get X and raiders get X + Y for item "power". So raiders having a better augment potential does nothing at all to groupers reward as long as doing just the "group" achievements nets them something useful to them. Groupers retain the option to raid or go back and do old raids for achievements at any point that they see fit.

Adding them to the game adds value to everyone even if they don't have the desire to do them currently. The only reasons people have spouted as to why not to add them is my poor feelings because I didn't, don't want to do them because its not my thing. The answer to that is just don't do them then, stop peeing in everyone elses pool because you don't want one because its work you don't want. Its 3 items added at most, it takes nothing away from anyone and its not a replacement of something else. You guys are literally saying no one can have a toy because of your own selfish reasons.
  6. kizant Augur

It's just bad design. Sure, it gives people more to do so they play a little longer but the novelty wears off pretty fast. In the end, you're just reminding people of how much it sucked doing that old content the first time around. It's actually kinda cruel. People would spend countless hours at those named camps and were really glad when they finally finished and now you're talking about an incentive to go back and relive it all again.

The artisan's prize, on the other hand, is a bit different. It motivated people whom had previously never done tradeskills to finally get around to doing them. So, they're at least doing something new. And for people who had already completed them they're given a leg up on everyone else.

Having AAs or XP as an reward for hunter achievements is fine though because there's lots of different ways to earn XP. And if you're playing a new alt or something and having fun in that old zone you remember from years ago you're given an extra incentive for being there. In fact, I think it's a good idea to find new ways to make actually playing in the old zones more valuable. I think some people have gone crazy from doing the same HA over and over again. They could use some good alternatives.
    Sancus likes this.
  7. segap Augur

By that logic, there would be no need for such a reward. Problem solved.
    Thrillho likes this.
  8. segap Augur

If being designed as an in era reward for TLP servers, why bother not making that reward available on standard servers? It would still be useful for people leveling up on standard servers if they choose to do so. High level people doing the achievements for fun could just delete or tribute it. Or you (design/art team) could have fun and make whatever the reward is placeable and give them interesting housing items for those in to that stuff.
  9. ShadowMan Augur

Think I have made my opinion pretty clear so going to bow out of this debate.

But the few who are arguing against this have very selfish reasons that they are then pushing on to the entire community. Verse the other side having zero impact on anyone it just provides yet another thing to chase in game if and only if you want to.

These are completely optional, they are not required to do anything.
    This would be 2 possibly 3 items at most if the achievement idea was even considered.
    If added it doesn't hurt those who dislike the idea, nothing is being given up for it. If its not added after being a possibility just because of the poor complaints then anyone who would have done it did in fact give something up just so 3-5 whiners didn't have their feels hurt.

Something being there even if its not for you > nothing just for the sake of nothing.
    Orbital101 likes this.
  10. ShadowMan Augur

Last post, honest.

The bold sums up why most of the people who are negative about this are grasping at straws. This is just your opinion verses others opinion with the difference being your opinion directly impacts others game play (they won't be able to get the item because you saw fit to say it was stupid and possibly stopped it from being added) verse the opinion of liking the idea (you are not impacted at all with this option nor other the other whiners as you can 100% ignore it). Myself and the majority people I know would have liked a hunters augment 100X more than doing tradeskills.

Hunters is actually playing the game verses afk'ing with the current trade skill functions and 4k in dontated/bought materials at a tradeskill container.
  11. Cicelee Augur

Two months or so ago I was invited into a hunter's raid. I sat AFK for several hours in an afternoon while others killed named in multiple previous grey-con-to-105 expansions. I sure played the game that afternoon.

As far as the latter, I was not aware I could AFK at a tradeskill container and go through thousands of recipes one at a time to learn them! That would make Artisan Prize significantly easier! O wait I cannot do that, I actually have to "play the game" by changing what is in the TS container every single time to learn every single recipe...
  12. ShadowMan Augur

Thats only if you want to max it. You can still get the best aug available in the game in a day or two, even if its not maxed power, while mainly afk.

I challenge you to afk in the the guild lobby even with 71 of your closest friends to get hunters done in 2 or 3 days. Or to get most achievements in the game from there.
  13. segap Augur

You can also argue that the few that are arguing for a reward are doing so for selfish reasons as well. All perspective. It's all opinion and feedback. They can do what they want in either direction.

My opinion is new chase things should exist in new content. I'm not against chase things nor time sinks. I just don't find sneezing at 5000hp mobs for hours to be any fun.

Contrary to what you say, if you put in a coveted reward, people feel compelled to do it. Working to get the best of everything is a big part of this game for many people. The more boring you make those tasks, the more people second guess whether or not the rewards are worth playing the game for and the more people decide to walk away. They won't say anything, they'll just fade away.
  14. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

There could be an app for that! It would definitely need to be on the down-low though.

If we must require everyone to do the hunter the "hard" way, we must be in favor of requiring each character's tradeskills to be maxed to obtain the Artisan's Prize, no? And we have to go back to doing skillups without auto-combine bull shizzle, you move those items between containers and click combine like a classic EverQuester!

I don't understand how we keep circling around to how different people like to play and risk vs. reward. If people are having fun, they help keep the game going. If you do not find a task enjoyable, try a different one! Not all the content is made just for you!

For a long time EverQuest has been only about reward, you risk nothing. If anyone is claiming there is some risk, they are probably doing tasks/raids in combination with breath control play. (WARNING: If you must Google it, do not do so at work.)
  15. Symbius Augur

If this were something like a 20ac 100hp/mana type Aug reward for the Classic to LDoN Hunter achieves then that would be an absolutely fantastic reward for that Era and something fitting to the Agnarr server provided it just stopped there.

However, if you continue the Aug to increase in power up to the Live end game then it becomes an issue because you would be requiring everyone that cares about their character to do all that old garbage. This coming from someone that has already done most all of the old Hunter junk and I still think it's a bad idea to extend this out to Live end game players.

Now, if you'd like to scrap the Hunter Bag rewards and generate a new Aug that begins with the new Expansion then I'm all for that. Simply because players would need to be hunting in level appropriate content for a level appropriate reward.
  16. Orbital101 Augur

I personally had fun doing hunters... I dont think I ever lasted that long communicating with a group of players that long. Im also confuse when people say killing gray con is boring because swarming red cons while watching TV is so much more fun when your doing current content. I guess people rather have something like zone,hail,zone hail and get your reward type of thing which is sooo much fun.

By the time you are done with hunters achievement or done farming everything you need to max your earring there a good chance you will be more then half way there on either...That of course is if your not one of those AFKer...
  17. Symbius Augur

I personally find it mind-numbling boring because I'm not actually playing my character. All I do is run the length of a zone, turn around and everything dies to ripo's instantly. Then wait... At least with current level content you have to actually hit some buttons to do something.
  18. Zaviere Augur

People who are crying for a reward for their absolute trivial game play are just being greedy.

Now, that's not how I ACTUALLY feel, but see? I can make generalizations just as easily as anyone else! Sadly, doing so is not really that satisfying.

@Ngreth, didn't feel like quoting me twice, huh? ;)

Anyways, some good points have been made on both sides of this discussion. I am still opposed to the idea of an all-powerful reward for the mindless killing of really, REALLY old named mobs in 10+ year old content. Even though, as a part-time slave to the min/max game, I would likely go out and try to do these achievements if such a reward were to be put in, I wouldn't enjoy the experience because of how trivial it is. If the potential rewards were of a cosmetic or novelty nature, that would be awesome. It'd still be a tangible acquisition for those who take the time to accomplish the achievements; something special that sets them apart in a way that doesn't have anything to do with character stats and development. Hell, I'd probably be MORE inclined to do old content hunting for special illusions, hero's forge sets, familiars, etc.
  19. Orbital101 Augur

Just make it so that you only need to do classic to get the item and then you get bigger gain from highest expansions down with having a small difference from Velious up to PoP/UF to make it worth while to everyone without the need to OCD for an extra 200-300HPs.
  20. Orbital101 Augur

I dint think using greed, lazy or selfish words will help anything here. Specially when you need to put a lot of work to get something in return, greed shouldn even be mentioned.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.