Increase plat limit in /bazaar

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Tinyfeet, Sep 6, 2017.

1. Warpeace Augur

Nope
  2. fransisco Augur

Its been awhile since we had one of these.
    We were overdue!
  3. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Using the strong bonds we have as an EQ community, we can just agree that nothing will ever be bought or sold for more than 2 million platinum! Ever again!
    svann likes this.
  4. Scorrpio Augur

The problem is that the amount you have is four different numbers. You can have several thousand copper, for example. With plat being its own number, one should be able to own about 2 billion (assuming signed int)
    Prices, on the other hand, appear to be expressed purely in copper. Hence 2 mil limit.
  5. Zhaunil_AB Augur

It was, but there is no option in /trad to sell for nobles, only plat.
    Also, each time you buy nobles ofc you loose something like 10% in plat...

Yet, the only items that would "benefit" from this change is kronos and attunable raid-equivalent rares.
    Their price is over 2mil plat and rising.
    Some are asking ridiculous amounts of krono for a single raid-item.
    And those are also unlikely to sell for plat if they can omit one conversion step by converting directly into krono.
    Leaving really only the Kronos themselves to "benefit" from that change.

Anything else...
    Tradeskill items are overpriced as it is even at 1k a pelt or silk i myself have already long reached the point when i am farming it myself.

Yet yes...
    By all means, increase the value range of the corresponding valiables...
    Seems like there's no real reason not to.
    We have shared banks that can hold more and all that...
  6. Zhaunil_AB Augur

Good point, that!
    So, they'd have to do a bit more perhaps than just use a different variable-type.
    But if i enter a price in platinum in /baz there is no real reason why that should be transformed into copper internally.

Depending on what language they use, an unsigned long integer (32bit) should at least double the realm.
    I doubt they are coding on 64bit basis.

On the other hand...
    A float or a double should remove all obstacles as far as the value ranges are concerned, shouldn't it?
  7. Scorrpio Augur

As long as it is 32bit, it is limited. A float can hold large numbers but you start losing numbers at the end. A conversion to 64bit int woild be better.
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

I wonder if it would be just as hard to change the datatype to an unsigned 32-bit integer. It would still fit into 32 bit, but it would double the max-range. I have yet to see negative prices...

On the other hand, some well thought out plat sinks would probably be a better solution.
    Niskin likes this.
  9. smash Augur

I guess they can add a new type in which is sole in plat and then come over the 2 mil mark.

However should they then do like real life auction houses, take a salary per transaction ?

I think normal auction houses are something like 20%, should there be a salary here as well, ? It would be a very good way to get rid of some of the excess plat.

So if i buy something for 10 mil plat, then the seller will get 8 mil plat.
  10. svann Augur

Why not just use the same code they use for the plat/gold/silver/copper that I have on me? That goes over 2 million just fine. I suspect that the idea that it is limited because of the variable used is an urban myth.
  11. CatsPaws No response to your post cause your on ignore

There is already a charge to buy stuff from the bazaar while in another zone. It's 10% or use vouchers which you also have to buy. Not sure where the 10% goes but none of my sellers ever got it and I experimented by purchasing something from one of my sellers while in another zone.
  12. Tour Augur

... a myth posted by the devs?
  13. svann Augur

cite?
  14. Ngreth Thergn Developer

Another coin type may actually be more of a task than the various conversion options to excede 32 bits.

We don't ignore these requests for breaking 2m in the bazaar, but it still has not made the risk vs reward vs time vs impact threshold yet.

And this is going to be my last word on this subject for now.
  15. kizant Augur

What if you just run a script to go and remove 50% of everyone's money? Maybe that'll drop prices enough where the bazaar is useful again for a few years.

Actually destroy 95%. Wasn't even thinking of how much things really cost today.. We're waaaay past 2 million.
  16. Captain Video Augur

Umm... The 32-bit signed integer limit is on the order of 2B, not 2M. There is no reason, and never has been any reason, to discuss a 64-bit conversion in order to increase the Bazaar transaction limit above 2M plat.
  17. Scorrpio Augur

Looks like urban myth part has already been addressed.

Now onto the first question. Amount of coin held is four numbers per character, and you only get to see your coin. Coin held by players around you is not broadcast to you.
    Item stocks and prices are another matter. Click on alchemy or research merchant in PoK. All that inventory needs to be stored. Each trader in bazaar can list 80 items, IIRC. A fair bit of storage, and anytime you click a vendor or baz trader or do baz search, all those (item id/quantity/price) structures need to be packaged and sent to you. Updating a price to int64 would be a multi-step process involving databases, server code, client code, UI, network pack/unpack code. And apparently devs are not considering this a priority.
  18. Scorrpio Augur

Prices are stored in terms of copper. So a 100p item price is actually stored as 100,000. 2M plat == 2B copper.
    jeskola and Xianzu_Monk_Tunare like this.
  19. svann Augur

So implication being that they can increase the limit, but dont consider it to be enough of an issue - yet.
  20. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

In my head I was picturing the next denomination but only working in the bazaar/trade/banking systems but, I may have simplified the model too much. No matter which path is taken, it is a futile effort to try to make everyone understand the can of worms that might open when you alter old systems that work. Especially with users that can be nucking futs over broken stuff.