Will the $71.99 for a year's sub return?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Benito, Jul 20, 2017.

1. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Stop being cheap.

Even paying full price at 3 accounts that is $45 a month. If you buy year subs at "full price" it is $30 a month.

A single movie for you and your wife or eating our costs more than that. It is entertainment. If you have one night a month where you are entertained for 2-3 hours with it then it is worth it.

The way people whine about sub costs is ridiculous, as it is dirt cheap entertainment.
  2. Evertrek Augur

sub used to be called a network fee ($3 month). then marketing said that it has as much value as premium tv channels like HBO, or MAX, thus we got $15 overnight. then tv channels started bundling so SOE did the all access...i have HBO now but it was a deal, bundled with a nice deal on internet, phone, and tv. i dont see any bundles with the xpacs, market place items and other things sold related to EQ that are needed/wanted to play the game. all i see are deals on bags and cosmetic wardrobe items these days. we pay list price for expansions, xpacs, and subscriptions. so instead of a great subscription deal this year we got the illusions for TLPs!

maybe you would be willing to pay $20 a month, or $25, what is your cap? the market is such that all games these days offer yearly deals. maybe it's time for a price hike on subscriptions?
  3. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Considering they have a smaller sub base, and they haven't raised prices in a decade, yes, they probably should raise rates.

They didn't have year subs when this game started. They had a $9.89 a month sub rate. Now you can get a year sup for $9.99 a month. 18 years later. Deal with it.
  4. Samatman Augur

The number of "yes men" in this thread is spectacular. $30 a month for an aged game with virtually no support or feedback? Who's the patsy here? Have fun with your declining population and enjoy your pseudo-retro game play on premium TLP.

The current state of the game, the level of support, and the hope of genuine expansion content isn't there for a $15 or $10 a month subscription scenario outside of the All In Box crowd that will never leave until the servers shut down.

Netflix costs less than $10 a month. You get quite a bit of content for those $. For less than you are paying a month I could sub to Netflix and Amazon Prime and probably have all of my groceries shipped same day for free. $30 a month buys a lot in the real world. It gets you very little here.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  5. yepmetoo Abazzagorath

Some of us just aren't some combination of poor, entitled, and greedy.

Not worth it? Don't pay it. Pretty simple.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  6. Benito EQ player since 2001.

People have a right to express their approval or dismay. This is the free market in a democracy amid an increasingly interconnected world.

In Yelp reviews of restaurants, people often talk about price. Restaurants read the reviews and deduce from the fact patterns such as "overpriced" or "little bang for the buck." They can remedy it to refine their business.

Some exclusive clubs (golf or nightclub) charge high fees to restrict supply; I see less leverage here. Perhaps, even worse, you have more "free people" adding to the server loads.

Could there be some synthesis here?

Ultimately, Daybreak has all of the financial data. If they are losing revenue (less gross profit from less subscribers at higher price point), they may decide to offer discount subscriptions. They can telegraph rate changes here or make it a surprise.
  7. frankie78227 Augur

I am not cheap. I feel the product is no longer worth the price. With a small discount I would be tempted to come back. What entertainment is worth to you is your opinion. My post represents my opinion.
  8. Gremin Augur

I would have no issues paying full price on this game if it came with the full services it used to have. However, they have taken away things like LoN and now they no longer police their servers or follow a PnP. So, I feel its not worth paying the full price.
    Kyzvs likes this.
  9. Evertrek Augur

they also pulled H1Z1 out of the all access. we play EQs, PS2, and H1Z1 here. will they pull out PS2 next year? all access when it came out was $22 a month as i recall. they then bundled all their games and suggested that even LM and EQN may be in the new all access bundle.
  10. King Dedede Elder

How hard would it have been for their CS to chime in and say no we aren't doing that sale again this year?? Legendary bad CS continues with DBG.
  11. fransisco Augur

i hope they increase the price.
    Give them more resources.
    frankie78227 likes this.
  12. King Dedede Elder

Nah, just increase earnings. It's about Columbus Nova's investment returns. The idea that the company cares about it's customers is ludicrous. A company that cared about it wouldn't be run like this.
  13. Ghubuk Augur

Really? How many companies can you call and ask "when is your next sale?" and actually get an answer?
  14. Benito EQ player since 2001.

Amazon, Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Costco. :p (Annual or periodic sales at least).
  15. Roxxlyy Augur

At this point in time, we don't currently have plans slated for holding a membership sale.
  16. Cicelee Augur

At this point in time, I don't currently have plans slated to renew my membership.

OK that was more of a joke per se, just trying to be that guy...
  17. Kryseigh New Member

I forgot to cancel after the $70 bit from last year, so got charged for 3 accounts (yesterday, today x2).

Whoops. My bad.
  18. Kyzvs Augur

I'll pay full price for:
    • AB working
    • Customer communications
    • A small amount of server policing (even a 'willing volunteer' model would be great)
    There isn't any of those things, so the game is not worth anything like the price I used to pay (I had 5 accounts + my now ex-wifes subs for 10+ years)

Card details at the ready, I'll more than happily pay when there is something worth paying for. At the moment on AB in particular the experience is not comparable. Going on past experience, I also could have paid roughly $140 in the last few months on Silver-level items that used to be available but aren't now if I'd decided not to sub due to time commitments.

Bring back the Silver options - even at say $15 per 100AA, $50 to be able to use prestige, $50 for a character slot, I'm happy to pay that as it doesn't limit me to time. You get plenty of $$ for the amount of resources I consume, I don't feel pressured to get my value for money over a set time.
  19. Evertrek Augur

this will be the first time i have not had an active sub in years (all 3 accounts), but i will not pay full list price for any old product (wow, eve, UO...). so, giving double xp and marketplace discount is embarrassing at best, shows NO innovation or effort of DBG sales/marketing IMO.

ESO is still going strong (Rift is dead), hope to see the deal soon, PS2 and TLPs are worth the $72, but no more. i would have even gone as high as $99, your marketing folks are OTL.
  20. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

I think Daybreak has decided they are not taking less than list price to put up with some of their customers.