Here's a crazy idea...

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Risiko, Aug 25, 2017.

1. Risiko Augur

Why is it that DBG's parent company is worth supposedly over 15 billion dollars (Columbus Nova), and yet wont put out even 50 million to remake THE game that started the 3D MMORPG era of gaming?

And, God no. Do not bring back that Disney-Meets-Everquest thing yall were calling Everquest Next. That was a disgrace to the Everquest Intellectual Property.
  2. Brumans Augur

Well, I think they'd probably want to keep OoW. Not sure about after that.

Hell, many would still want Luclin taken out, and PoP but without PoK.

Hah, or any MMO player.
  3. mackal Augur

Could really just replace PoP with "when they stopped playing" and it would still apply. They specifically mentioned Agnarr, so I went with PoP ;) Although, they could mean the expansion Agnarr is currently on :p
    Chatoyan and Brumans like this.
  4. Punchu Augur

The jury has reached a verdict your honor. Idiot it is.
    Owch likes this.
  5. Absor Developer

Well... I guess there's no reason to continue this discussion...

A
    code-zero, Reht, Accipiter and 5 others like this.
  6. oldkracow 9999 Is the Krono Account Limit

I'm sure there are at least 50 better deal propositions sitting on CN's stack of possibilities with far greater potential and less risk.
  7. Risiko Augur

Ok. I'll bite. Why?

Did you like Everquest Next?
  8. Risiko Augur

And, more name calling. :rolleyes:
  9. jeskola pheerie

Columbus Nova is busy paying Hulk Hogan a piece of the $140 million Gawker owns him (Google it).

Also, Columbus Nova has a parent company of their own, and it is a Russian company https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Renova_Group

Tying it all together, it is clear that Vladimir Putin is Qulas from RoI and really runs it all. RoI is also an acronym for Return on Investment, which is no coincidence!
    Ckador likes this.
  10. Risiko Augur

Threads like these should be saved off on to other sites, so that when the company inevitably shuts down, we can point back at them and say "that's why".

It wasn't all that long ago that this was stated by the then CEO of Sony Online Entertainment...

"With the NGE, I'm sorry about the mistake we made," he told us. "We screwed up and didn't listen to the fans when we should have, and it's not a mistake we're going to make again."

but... pffft... who cares about learning from previous mistakes and all. The forum trolls jumping on the bandwagon are your top money spenders. All five of them will keep DBG afloat. Right.... ;)
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Actually, modern EQ has lots of fans, it is not a failure at all. :)

It could benefit from improvements in a lot of areas, but it is not a failure.

Just thought I would mention it...
  12. snailish Augur

There's some good stuff in this thread but we've gotten off track.

Many player's don't recognize how much good work has gone into EQ post OoW. This doesn't mean you will like it (revised Freeport is an often cited example. My only real issue with it is some odd NPC placing so they aren't handy such as in the cleric guild, and the way the bank is tucked in off the main gate. I'm fine with the grand-scale graphics). Logical changes (Mistmoore Trueborn revamp just needed faction added to it) are fine, whereas Nektulos completely changing shape with no in-game explanation was a mistake (that was fixed).

The strongest lore imo is the core game from original to Velious, but I will concede the Wayfarer's stuff that led into discord was pretty good too. Luclin is pretty wacky and not a direction I would have gone at the time, but now it's hard to imagine the game without it. The game is huge... no more new continents and completely new threats with so much already burning (besides it's not a reasonable scope of development). Give me Tserrina's war and a full-on invasion from Discord. Let the gnoll federation rise and take back their lands...

Once you get to TSS, pretty much everything new is steeped in the old lore. I personally love the 1-65 game and think there is an opportunity to revitalize it on progression with new zones built for the various eras, while at the same time giving live servers endgame versions for there use. On live there are way too many zones under level 85 for how the population uses them. Revamp like mad. Build more replayability into progression by it being the only place to see the pre TSS content under level 65.

Why not?
  13. Febb Augur

I wouldn't invest into a clone of EQ. I don't think it would be a very wise business decision. As an investor I would rather put my money into a whole new game. CN knows this, Daybreak execs know this. Daybreak Games will do just fine now that they don't have John Smedley pumping money into failed projects.
  14. mackal Augur

Rogean was also in RoI!
  15. MyShadower All-natural Intelligence

Outside looking in...

There was a discussion happening on your suggestion for a new product based on an existing product...then, metaphorically, you lift your robe, squat over a cancelled product based on said existing product Absor and/or colleagues worked on...drop a steamy on it...stand up...open your robe...and piss on it?

This is why we can't have nice things (more dev communication)!
  16. Accipiter Old Timer

Because it doesn't make financial sense? Sort of obvious, isn't it?
  17. Absor Developer

I admit it's a bit of a sore spot. But most of the complaints about it are valid. I liked the art, but its fine if people didn't. I can easily deal with people being mad about it, I totally understand. Its more that he decided to **** at all. As soon as you prove you are willing to stop talking and start dumping, I generally don't see anything to be gained from the conversation.

A
    Reht, jeskola and snailish like this.
  18. Risiko Augur

Oh good lord. I wasn't trying to hurt your feelings. I just wanted to see the hobby I've loved for almost two decades continue. Sometimes I don't know why I even try.
  19. MaxTheLion Augur

Agreed. You should stop trying.
  20. Nolrog Augur

You really don't seem to have any understanding on how business works.
    Reht and jeskola like this.