Can I play EQ on this computer?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Mintalie, Nov 30, 2015.

1. Mintalie Augur

2. Numiko Augur

Minimum requirements for EQ is just a Pentium II - 400, 256 megs of ram and a GeForce 1 video card, any computer, laptop or even tablet you can buy today will give you more then enough computer power.

heck even most cell phones give you more power.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  3. Leex Pewpewer

I'd go with the one that has the highest processing speed and the most ram.
    Miss_Jackie and Ajjantis like this.
  4. Mintalie Augur

5. Roxxanna Augur

I don't know about that Acer Chromebook.

As for the other 3, yes, they will. I would recommend you check out user reviews for those models on popular sites like amazon n such. I would also recommend you get one with the integrated AMD Radeon graphics card over the integrated intel, it's not a huge boost, but definitely noticeable.
  6. Sebbina Augur

You might be better off to choose a separate folder to install EQ, it seems that Windows preferred install often has problems for folk wanting to add Download maps or such.
  7. Laronk Augur

I agree with sabbina, don't go with the default install of the program data folder because sometimes there's issues
  8. Aghinem Augur

Problem with laptops and gaming is the 'shared video memory'. The PC basically decides how much RAM to allocate to your video based on the needs of the software, and more often than not - makes it run like crap. I would probably recommend you set your particles and video settings to low so the game will be manageable for you.
  9. Zunnoab Augur

EQ would NOT run on such a machine. It's not the same as when it launched. The game is incredibly demanding on a single core, so I'd say at least a semi-modern dual core. I don't know the GPU requirements, but EQ is very demanding on a single core of the CPU, and it most definitely won't run on a machine with 256MB of RAM.

It's to the point upgrading from the PhenomIIx4 965 to the i5 4650k made a huge difference for me in some situations. The game is way more demanding than it used to be, especially if you have logging on because whatever it does for logging it does so extremely inefficiently, perhaps due to the fact it was originally designed when dual core CPUs were still over half a decade off.

I couldn't even run the game playably in Kelethin in 2003 on a machine about as powerful as that quote. Now? Not a chance.

Better yet: Just copy the whole Everquest folder anywhere that doesn't require administrative permissions. Forget "installing" it. That isn't necessary. Just make sure the proper DirectX and C++ run time stuff is installed. Everquest is actually very well designed on that front. It doesn't care where it is as long as it can access its subfolders and write to the files in its folder/subfolders.
  10. Numiko Augur

you are right here is the current minimum requirements:

Operating System Windows 7 or newer
    CPU / Processor Pentium 4/Athlon 64 or better
    RAM / Memory 2 GB RAM
    Storage / Hard Drive 10GB of free hard drive space
    Video Card NVIDIA Ti 4800 or ATI 9800 (comparison chart)
    Internet Conntection: 28.8k + Internet Connection
    DirectX Version: DirectX 9.0c
  11. Zunnoab Augur

That looks about right. At the start of VoA I was using the Athlon 64 3500+, albeit with stick figure mode on raids (anything before Sanctum Somnium was playable even without stick figure mode though).
  12. Burstaf New Member

For single EQ instance that laptop you bought with N2840 and 2GB RAM and 32GB MMC will suffice.

You will not have much room to do anything else after installing EQ(10GB) on that disk though as Windows itself takes 10+GB.

Personally, I think it is a crime that Intel puts low power CPUs in large (13+) format laptops. Sure battery life increases but at what cost to performance?

That N2840 belongs in a 10 inch computer!

See this:
    N2840 (notice 7W power envelope , why why why in a 14 inch laptop...)
    https://cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Celeron N2840 @ 2.16GHz&id=2388

i3-4030u from that other laptop (15W, which is already considered low in the ultrabook class)
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i3-4030U @ 1.90GHz

And now check this 5 year old laptop mid range CPU:
    http://www.cpubenchmark.net/cpu.php?cpu=Intel Core i5-2540M @ 2.60GHz
    It destroys the newer CPUs while running at still acceptable 35W. Sure the battery will not hold as long and you end up paying a few bucks more in electricity.

Sorry, rant mode off. :)

For multiple instances I would have gone with that i3 or even that AMD A6.

EQ is quite CPU hungry and also memory hungry, not that hungry in in terms of GPU
  13. Mintalie Augur

Very helpful info guys, thanks. I may find that I want something more powerful and end up sending it back, but the plan is to use the laptop only in moments of desperation when I need to raid and can't be at home, so everything but the bare minimum would be turned off anyway (i.e. I won't have everyone else's data clogging up my log, only my own). I'll see how it tests and decide if it's worth it!
  14. RandomStrategy Augur

Funny completely unrelated story. At one time I tried playing EQ2 on a Samsung N20 laptop with a VIA chip. I loaded up EQ2 and literally edited everything to minimum, then went into advanced graphics and turned of everything I could, and I got it running at around 10-12 fps. Most things besides my character were flat, grey surfaces.

.......The next day, my laptop wouldn't turn on. Apparently, upon inspection, I melted the chip.
    Drusi likes this.
  15. Sissruukk Rogue One

At least you rezzed a thread with humor.
  16. Ratbo Peep Augur

Edit: BAH! Just saw this was a necro-thread. FML

ASUS is very good but that PC is real weak. Windows 10 likes to see a machine with 4gb minimum RAM and a PC with 8gb RAM is enough to eliminate the swap-file and save on SSD use. A measly 2gb ram does not cut it with Windows 10.
    And that hard drive is very small - you can get a 128gb SSD on Ebay for about $45 US.
    I personally have gotten some good used ASUS X-series (15.6") on Ebay and upgraded the Ram from 4 to 8 and put the 128gb SSD in them. EG flies on those with no issues.
    (Meaning that ASUS X-series you linked on Woot was the pick of the litter.)
    Example: I got this i3 for $100 (best Offer deal) on Ebay last month and by the time I put an SSD into it and upgraded the memory to 8gb I still have <$200 all day into it.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/ASUS-Notebook-PC-X550C-no-Hard-drive-see-description-/162536647684?

-Rat
    PS: I have an i5 just like it (that's not red!) with a 500gb spinner in it. <$250 all said and done.
  17. Mediik Augur

For those reading the resurrected thread from 2 years go... .

For ~$550 you can get a brand new very capable laptop with 256gb SSD,Core I5, Nvidia discrete graphics and a 1920x1080 screen. It will run EQ like butter

http://a.co/6cfb3Bv
  18. Lianeb Augur

Lol
  19. Mediik Augur

Amazon is like that sometimes. Not sure what you're clicking on.
    "Monday, Aug. 21
    FREE Two-Day Shipping"
  20. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Not even remotely true on modern systems. A modern processor GPU will run everything perfectly well.