Allakhazam

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Plykin, May 24, 2016.

1. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I recently signed on as an outside contracted developer for ZAM. I have access to the code now and I know about the lockup issues. Its a database issue which I will be working on soon.
  2. 1018_01 Elder

They are trying to bypass ghostery, if you use it, causing alot of problems and the 2 programs seem to be fighting each other nonstop
  3. smash Augur

Afraid I have Allakhazam on my never go page list. It is infameous for being the place to get infected by virus/malware. So i dont trust it more than I can toss a container filled with 1 ton of bricks.
  4. svann Augur

17 years never had a virus. Maybe you didnt get it from Zam!
    fransisco likes this.
  5. fransisco Augur

True
    It can be very difficult to determine where it came from, and people often just name a page they have visited as the culprit
  6. Tatanka Joe Schmo

I'm actually at the point I just laugh at the peeps complaining about ZAM. AdBlockPlus is freely available, and takes care of the ad issues. If you don't want to use it, that's your choice, but then stop crying about it.
    Thancra likes this.
  7. Febb Augur

Plus if you use a browser besides chrome/opera with an ad blocker, you won't see any ads.
  8. Zhaunil_AB Augur

It's neither dead nor "junk".
    But yes, Quality could be MUCH better if they hadn't "lost" some useraccounts (mine for example) somehow for example.
    As was said, it lives from user-contributions.
    And one can only really contribute with an account, so "loosing" them is quite bad.
  9. Koryu Professional Roadkill

ZAM should actually be pretty up to date for current content.
    svann likes this.
  10. Drusi Augur

Just spend $9 on ZAM membership. Totally worth it if you play EQ.

I mean I am a cheap bastard who hates spending extra money and never paid for ZAM until they lowered the price.

Sure there are alternatives like eqresource and raidloot, but ZAM premium search is really convenient.
    The biggest convenience is finding vendors for tradeskills etc. You can use eqtraders for this but with Allakhazam it is easier.

Of course, if you are cheap, you can use ublock Origin for adblock and then use a combination of sites ;)
  11. Schadenfreude Augur

As with many sites these days you have to be pro-active and make sure any device you are browsing on has a reasonable level of protection against aggressive advertising. If you're using IE or Edge and no ad-blocking then bad, or at the least irritating, things are likely to happen sooner rather than later.

Content wise I've been able to find whatever I wanted 95% of the time other than info locked behind their paywall. It's much easier if you have a reasonable idea what you're looking for rather than plugging in generic search terms and hoping for the best.

There's some forum issues which they are working on and I had no problems recovering my account from a decade ago a few months back.
  12. svann Augur

I like the way zam organizes their data as compared to other otherwise good sites.
    Tatanka likes this.
  13. Beimeith Lord of the Game

Scriptblocking > all.
  14. Agrippa Augur

I'm probably missing it, but I'm not seeing anywhere that I can look at my account options. If that information would be under User Options (under my account name), clicking that doesn't do anything and there's no arrow for it like the other options there. Most subscription sites have a My Account or similar link in fairly prominent locations on their pages, but I'm just not seeing anything on any Zam page.
  15. Scorrpio Augur

Very top right corner should have your user name in blue. Clicking it opens a menu.
  16. Agrippa Augur

Bingo. Thank you.
  17. Herf Augur

Well I'm suddenly having problems. I can't login. On top of that I noticed that EQ isn't even listed in Zams top level list of games, but is rather hidden away as legacy game.
    I can't login, so I can't access the premium services I paid for. Bungholes.
  18. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Is it giving you an error trying to log in? PM me your username and I can look into it.

The whole allakhazam platform for EQ, EQ2 and a few other games was downgraded to a legacy site back in 2015. All of those sites are updated by the community now. ZAM keeps the lights on and has allowed volunteers (like me) to update code if need be.
  19. Millianna Augur

That's funny. I have no troubles with EQ resources or any other sites I use. There is no excuse for Ala's scripting and potential malware threat.
    Brohg likes this.
  20. Tatanka Joe Schmo

There's no excuse for not using ABP or something similar.