New to Kunark

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Benedictous, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Benedictous Journeyman

Hey just your run of the mill 50 mage here. Was just barely able to ding 50 before Kunark launched and I really want to get into the raiding scene and see all the content BUT I've never really made it past 52 before (and that was on phinny so i never even saw Kunark haha)

I'm looking for general guidance on how to 1) experience content 2) prep for raiding Kunark raids 3) get the most out of my mage

All i got planned to do atm is rush Seb and farm spells lol
  2. Adonhiram Augur

I'll advice to do Howling Stones key, it's less crowded than Sebilis and much better xp and a mage can solo the key quest. For spells I'd rather advise Skyfire, xps are horrible but it's really the spell farming place.
  3. Machentoo Augur

How to experience all the kunark content? Apply to the top guild that is recruiting mages (www.agnarrkills.com) and do whatever they tell you to do to flag for VP. Then, try to make friends with people who are running group stuff (HS or Chardok instances, epic 1.0 stuff) and see if they will let you tag along.
  4. Benedictous Journeyman

Should I XP first or farm spells?
  5. Nolrog Augur

Spells drop from the various higher level mobs you will be killing for XP anyway (Sebilis and Skyfire are both good places), so I would suggest to set up with a good XP group and you will see some spells drop too.
  6. Risiko Augur

While the Howling Stones (Charasis) key quest is very easy to complete, there is a major bottleneck in completing it; the key piece in Lake of Ill Omen.

The mob is on a 1 hour and 20 minute (or there abouts) timer, and the key piece is not no-drop. Therefore, on both Ragefire and Phinigel, the spawn was highly contested, farmed 24 hours a day, and sold for 1 krono when Kunark came out.

In comparison, the key quest mobs (hunter and gatherer froglocks in TT) spawn like wildfire, and are easily farmed to get the Old Sebelis key.

The best advise I can give anybody is to ignore the Howling Stones key quest for the first couple weeks. Get keyed for Old Sebelis, level up, and loot spell drops. Old Sebelis will be the new Lower Guk with 8+ picks open at any given time during peak hours during Kunark.

Most importantly since you said you are a mage, you get Call of The Hero, and that makes you golden for all groups in Kunark era and beyond. The camps are sometimes very deep in the dungeons in Kunark, and your Call of the Hero spell is the key to replacing group members and keeping a group going. You will be in high demand as soon as you get the spell, so level up and get that spell.

Is Howling Stones better experience? Yes it is, but unless you are willing to spend a krono for the LOIO drop for the key or you get lucky on a dps race for it, you will be wasting a ton of time sitting in a gray con camp trying to get one piece of the key.

The other problem with Howling Stones is that for the most part, unless you have a guild or group of friends that get the the key with you, you can forget getting a pickup group in Howling Stones for the first few weeks. There just aren't enough people that finish the key quest EXCEPT the pre-created groups that farm the key together. That means that you will probably find yourself LFG for Howling Stones group a lot where as you can get in an Old Sebelis group easily.

Just my 2 coppers based on what I saw on Ragefire and Phinigel.
  7. Roxas MM Augur

i believe burned woods was an awesome xp zone as well, if you can find it....
  8. Dumbledorf Lorekeeper

City of mist was one of my favorite dungeons on fippy. I think it's good to 56 or so? Lots of nice loot drops there, and imo just a cool looking zone.
  9. Finchy Augur

this was nerfed into the ground. Prior to the nerf it was so good because the ZEM was left in for a decade. DBG removed the ZEM and now the xp is not very good compared to a handful of other places.
  10. Zenshai New Member

While what you say is true (about the ZEM), I think you missed the easter egg reference to the "Burned Woods" story in eq history ;)
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

Yep, moved again. Dammit!
    Sumonerr_Tunare likes this.
  12. Adonhiram Augur

Risiko raises a valid point about LOiO bottleneck regarding HS key quest, which I did on Lockjaw as the TLP Adon started on LJ before moving to RF. It wasn't that bad though, pickzone works, after a couple of days - checking once in a while if there was an open Chancellor camp at the Sarnak fort-, I managed to find an opening and could set camp to wait for him to spawn. I had no trouble with RMT farmers trying to steal my camp, maybe I was just lucky. I had my druid for ports though, so it was easier to travel and check the camp.
  13. Benedictous Journeyman

Rushed there and got HS keyed.. ty for the advice!
  14. Adonhiram Augur

Well done !