Hunter Achievements Modified

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by GoldenFrog, Jun 20, 2017.

1. GoldenFrog Augur

I get that the old hunter are for fun and are cheap content for DBG to add.
    I get that few will care, and even fewer will have worked on them already.
    I get that first-responders are frequently rewarded or punished for being early-birds.

And I had fun knowing those who followed would have better notes and information (yay Orbital).

But it's extremely disappointing to have completed all hunters to date - only to find 13 (THIRTEEN) zones back on the list that were completed. Some of them for the same mobs we killed 100 times, just with new names to differentiate.

Credit removed. Achievement taken away. Worthless nerd points subtracted.

Until you go work that zone some more. To re-earn it.

Disappointing and a bit less fun going forward with the 4 new expansions, knowing it's a moving target.
  2. Orbital101 Augur

They need to add a MegaHunter reward achievement similar to Slayer:Megadeath with something worth doing. Otherwise 90% care less about these to only keep a handful busy.
  3. segap Augur

I'd rather find my own ways to stay busy than be coerced in to boredom and tedium. I have my own goals and things to get done.

The fact that they'd need a useful reward to even get people to care about them shows how many people actually find this fun or entertaining. Those that enjoy it could have easily made their own lists and knocked them off over the years all without any dev time spent implementing and repeated fixes taking yet more time. It seems like the recent recycling of old content through achievements and quest lines is just lazy development. It's far easier to just use existing ancient content and adding check boxes to it than it is to create new stuff. Still takes time, just much easier to collect your paycheck without having to think.

An open world game should not need to create check lists to tell people what to do. It's the freedom to explore the world and make your own choices that creates entertainment for various people with differing interests.

EQ used to have a very diverse group of players. There were those that enjoyed just logging in and doing tradeskills. Not because they were forced to for some quest line, but because they were the type that enjoyed them. There were people that logged in to be merchants because they enjoyed the buying and selling game. Others enjoyed collecting every item in the game and moved from named to named to get them. Some just enjoyed having a 3d chat room. Some went out and discovered quests and enjoyed solving them. Not because quests were required for progression, but because that's what they enjoyed doing. Others enjoyed grinding for hours with friends, leveling and killing mobs. And other enjoyed the raid game. The game didn't tell us what to do. We discovered what was fun for us and met many people along the way. Achievements and check boxes try to dictate and move everyone down the same paths. Reducing choice and diversity of game play.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Perplexed like this.
  4. Bigstomp Augur

What are you talking about? I don't recall any credit removed. Maybe not counted, but I don't recall a checkmark going away.

In the time you spent typing your post you could have probably fixed whatever you're whining about.
    Nolrog likes this.
  5. GoldenFrog Augur

I do realize this is a very minority type issue - few care. Probably not worth a post.

But if you think these are solved in a few minutes (or quite often 'days'), then you really shouldn't be throwing comments around.

If you actually HAVE done any, then log onto test and see what your achievements look like. And save the apology. I know it won't be from the heart.
  6. Orbital101 Augur

What I think he meant is that if you had Old World Hunter and Kunark done you wont after the patch because they added a bunch of name to many achievements. So was what check before wont be anymore:D

Zones like Northern Plains of Karana, Rather Mountain are a slap in the face. Even if you have killed any of those rares in the last 4 weeks you will have to kill them again.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  7. Sokon Augur

the more achievements quests and functionality they add to the game, the better. Yes I am a big fan of them adding some overarcing line of results for the kill achievements with some final reward worth doing, like they did with mega death and heros journey. It should definately be worth doing, perhaps an AA that gave 10-25% additional dmg to named and raid targets would be worth while.

anything that adds replay value to the game or gives dbg more revenue to help keep this thing going is worthwhile to me.

I had one really good idea for replay value you can find here: https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq...-suggestion-new-gear-slot-worn-effect.215256/

I'd appreciate if someone resurrected the above thread. it's a really good idea.

anything that adds more replay value to the game is worth implementing in my opinion. would it be nice if we auto got credit for old world mobs we killed 15 years ago, somehow, ya, woulda been cool, but oh well. I will kill them later if there is a point to doing it.

I mean isn't that why we all kep playing this game, cause of it's replay value?
  8. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

I like the hunter achievements...it's a great way to get back to old zones and explore them. Some of these zones I haven't visited in 10+ years so it's almost like new!
  9. Perplexed Augur

Where is the "challenge" in the new hunter achievements?

I can join a raid, be AFK in PoK 24-7 while 1-2 park in an old zone 24-7 til the zone achievement is complete. Everyone in raid gets credit /rah! rah! rah!
    That's some challenge, AFK-ing in PoK. /sarcasm off

This is my observation, I haven't actually participated in any of these raids. If I'm misunderstanding how it works, enlighten me please.
  10. Deux Corpse Connoisseur

It's just another option for those who are bored or looking for something to do. Or maybe a reason to visit older zones. There are many things in EQ you can do, or choose to ignore, which is one of the great things about the game.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  11. Zahel Journeyman

Yet another reason to hate 'achievements/trophies' in games. I hate this new trend of fake content that really just takes advantage of gamers with OCD.
  12. Orbital101 Augur

If you want to join my raid join but you need to contribute if you AFK then I will charge you!
  13. Orbital101 Augur

I will be on the edge of OCDing a few times in the next few weeks and it get me all excited!
    GoldenFrog and Zaggan like this.
  14. GoldenFrog Augur

I'm constantly confused by what people choose to focus on.

"Task Adds" have existed for many, many years. AFK during content has existed. You get out of a game what you put in.

If you don't care about these, don't do them. Who cares?
    If you want a check-mark with no effort, then AFK. Who cares?
    If you WANT to do them and have fun with it, then do. Who cares?

But to think that a game approaching it's end-of-life with diminishing player base has the capital or staff to constantly generate masses of new content is just naive. The best we can hope for is "stuff to do".

Artisan's Prize was an excellent example of a dozen design/development hours generating hundreds of hours of game-play. For those who care.
    This hunter stuff is as well. For those who care.

It's possible we'll get full expansions and level bumps again, and if so, great for all. But I'm not holding my breath.

So if we want to stay in Norrath, we find ways to enjoy the content there is. Either with new characters, or existing characters doing old stuff.
  15. Zahel Journeyman

Good! I am glad people like it! That was just my opinion. :)
  16. Ishtass Augur

New Hero's Forge helmet: Lagolas' Flowing Mane. Would look great on my Iksar
  17. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Did they add the missing named from Rathe Mountains, specifically Quid Rilstone, Mortificator Syythrak, and that named orc berserker?
  18. Orbital101 Augur

Yes for Quid and Mortificator, not sure about that orc.
  19. GoldenFrog Augur

I did see Quid and Syythrak in the new Rathe list. Don't think there were any other new.

Test down now, though so can't check. (Don't recall test typically being down when live patches, oh well)

Edit: (What Orbital said)
  20. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Ah, good. My not so silent requests were answered! The orc is something like Graznak the Berserker.