Next TLP -> PvP Teams!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dagenfehl, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Rhodz Augur

Meh at times it was fun but mostly it was aggravation of of getting nuked while leveling, the most common means of getting killed, you might not even notice it at first. We used to enter a zone and just hide out the first half hour to see what was going on before even touching mobs. Besides far too many bards (a class not even available to some teams), rogues, and necros since in that environment they faired the best. Although training that group that just mass rooted your bard while swarm kiting meaning an xp loss did bring a sense of satisfaction but that zone was done for the day as far you were concerned. Yeah no thanks but knock yourselves out.
  2. Breaker Journeyman

/signed for a pvp TLP server
  3. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

There is a market. I played on VZTZ and we had a population of about 400 and had mass guild fights all the time. Red99 also had about a 800 man player base. I'm sure many would be willing to try it out as well. There are players currently on ragefire, lockjaw, and agnarr that will drop what they are doing and move to a PvP server in a heart beat. If they instance it though no one will play as that started the downhill trend for pvp with the nexus safe zone. That recent dot change would be very OP for pvp though.

PvP players from EQ have always been the step child.
  4. Accipiter Old Timer

Even if you could get those numbers (and you probably won't) I don't think that's enough to warrant a server. 800 subscribers is $12k per month. That's a paltry sum if you're running a business. Just my opinion.
  5. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

Pointing out a is able to acquire a reasonable size population doesn't mean a real pvp tlp server would only have 800 subscribers. That's not even real logic. Like what is that an opinion?
  6. Kattria Minx Augur

TLP PVP would be fun, but ONLY if they hardcoded the teams. The race wars on VZ/TZ were a joke when three teams teamed against one. I liked Sullon Zek a lot. RZ is very NOT fun because you can't AE and a bad mistarget means you have a your own groupmate's pet/merc attaching you/your pet/merc.
  7. Mardy Augur

Just wanting to point out that the moneymaker for EQ is no longer monthly subscription charges. It hasn't been that in a very long time. SOE/Daybreak milks EQ via cash shops, and these days specifically kronos purchases.

On a PvP server where gear is of the utmost importance, the kronos for gear trades will be even more lively than on a standard PvE progression server. I would imagine Daybreak can make a good chunk of change from launching a PvP progression server now when progression servers are all the jazz in EQ.

And again, Sullon Zek please, it just works better when you factor in the negatives from the other Zek ruleset. No the teams are not normalized, as they don't have access to the same classes. But normalization is what has made MMO PvP lame these days. I consider that a good thing about Sullon Zek, because playing on different teams will give you different flavors and difficulty ratings. You just don't see that often in today's MMO's anymore.
    Punchu likes this.
  8. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

Sullon Zek ruleset, stop expansions at a certain point, and I'm there.

SZ was an absolute blast.
  9. Jaime Lannister Augur

Team PvP is awful.

FFA all the way. Either no level limit for +/- 4 Limit like RZ.
  10. Accipiter Old Timer

I was being magnanimous.

Yes, as was clearly stated in my post.
  11. Accipiter Old Timer

The success of the TLPs would tell you otherwise. Kronos are used for subscriptions, of course. If your contention is that DBG is surviving on the FTP market with upsells from the store... well, I think you're way off base.
    Niskin likes this.
  12. Mardy Augur

Huh? Kronos are not just used for subscriptions, they are used to Pay-To-Win item trades ingame. It's not even something they try to hide anymore. It's right out there, they allow kronos on progression servers because they know people will spend money on kronos to buy gear ingame. Does it cheapen these "classic" servers? Sure of course, but nobody seems to care anymore. That, is the part of cash shop that has overtaken EQ for at least 7 years now. Kronos are fueling Daybreak's bank accounts every time they open a new progression server. Kronos are a part of the upsells from the cash store, prime for the milking.

You can't even buy gear with ingame money, at least decent gear. Whales and casual gamers are absolutely feeding into this system because they don't play enough to farm and camp EQ old school way. So they just fork over the money to buy kronos, and voila, they can instantly twink themselves with the best non-bind gear. Spend more money, they can have exp pots and larger bags than they can ever obtain ingame. This is the true incentive for Daybreak to keep launching progression servers. Monthly subscriptions are small pocket change compared to the amount of money people burn on kronos and cash shop items like exp boosters, large bags, petamorphs, weapon/armor skins, illusions, etc..

A PvP progression server can be profitable for them, because it'll be a new progression server and there will be people spending kronos to buy gear again. And with gear being such a big deal in PvP, it'll be even more heavily traded. Since PvP is all about competition, I would imagine exp boosters will sell like hotcakes, and large bags will also sell very well. PvP server will all be about gaining every little advantages you can have over your enemies.

Only reason they probably won't go for a PvP progression server is because they really don't know PvP, and they may not want the trouble. But the money incentive should be there, it's just about whether they want to be brave and tackle this or not. I for one hope they will.
  13. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

TLP is the only way everquest PVP can exist. The game in its current state is not pvp capable. That entire community is forced to retire, go play blue, or play p99 red. There is a market, Daybreaks only hesitation would be all the QQ. Make it crystal clear with a launch FAQ that you're on your own with the exception of regular ticketable items and dont expect class balancing, unless obviously broken determined by daybreak. (Harmtouch, lifeburn, manaburn are not broken it just sucks you can play around it)

I'll never let go jack.
  14. Rhodz Augur

One has to wonder just how many kr there are out there.
    I have a feeling a few millennia worth of game time at this point, of course no way of knowing outside of DBG but would it surprise anyone?

Good appraisal sound reasoning
  15. Risiko Augur

I'm curious... would training be an allowable tactic if you was on a PvP server? I mean technically, your intention on a PvP server is to kill the opposition, and using a train to do so would be the easiest way to accomplish your goal.

It certainly would make enchanters think twice about using a charm pet. An opposing enchanter could cancel the charm, charm the monster themself, and use it to kill the previous enchanter.

Lower Guk and Sol B would be non-stop gank fest zones. There's no way you would be able to level up. Your experience bar would just go backwards non stop.
  16. Machentoo Augur

It was on Sullon Zek, but not the servers that came before Sullon.
  17. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

Honest answer, people will train.

VZ had honorable pvp but from what ive heard, and after the zek merge, the other servers did not. If they loose the fight for the mob they train your guild and say they won. It just comes with the territory some people cant handle a loss and throw a tantrum.

I'll tell you what though. That cloak of flames you just spent 3 hours battling to claim the kill for Nagafen makes it feel much more rewarding.
  18. Massimo_Bertoxx Augur

It worked very well on SZ where it was allowed. It sounds awful to people who've never played pvp and not something that would even occur to me on any other server, for the record, but it equalizes things by making the environment a factor. You go prepared or you don't go. And it gives smaller groups a fighting chance when being pursued in friendly territory by a larger force. Plus, on a less theoretical level, it goes on anyway and the people who suffer most are the ones who follow the rules if it's not allowed.

Generally, most things that sound like a good idea to take the edge off of pvp like level ranges, no training, and whatnot are fertile grounds for abuse so it's better just to make it as open as possible. It took playing pvp myself to really get that, but it's true.

And every little accomplishment you make means a lot more. Brings a whole new perspective on EQ, really.
  19. Mel The Evil one Journeyman

There is absolutely no reason for no level limit. Sullon Zek made greifers that are level 60+ sitting in crush bone killing level 8's. There is no reason for this. None.
  20. Rhodz Augur

Well one did not have to train per se just the right push at the right time and the mob the guy is fighting will kill him. Of course it's possible to do that and not even get caught unless they check the log.

Mostly though you knew and in response if it takes a train to right the scales of justice so be it.
    Be lying if I said it didn't get old though cause of course things never end there.

Pretty sure people being as they are now, Fansy the Bard becomes an instruction manual.