Next TLP -> PvP Teams!

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dagenfehl, Jun 1, 2017.

1. Dagenfehl Journeyman

I grew up on EverQuest doing PvP Teams (Vallon Zek). I can't explain how amazing it was, having racial guilds and separation of areas. It could also be a totally new aspect on the economy - Players trying to sell loot in Commonlands amongst enemies, players killing each other over camps instead of training each other and .

I think it would be a whole new world to bring back PvP Teams, and as a progression server. A lot of people like myself would have a new home server.

Dark Elf - Troll - Ogre - Iksar
    Wood Elf - High Elf - Half Elf
    Halfling - Dwarf - Gnome
    Human - Barbarian - Vah Shir
    etc

What do you think?
  2. Ishbu Augur

Didn't they do this at one point and it died real quick? Rallos was straight PvP, then teams on tallon/vallon. Pretty sure there was a sullen zek that started up with teams but they all got merged
  3. Rhodz Augur

The Zeks were fairly healthy until the game as a whole took a down turn.
    Class balance for PvP was non-existent as unlike WoW EQ had no identity crisis, PvE game period.
    As Bliz found it was impossible to balance for PvP and not greatly impact PvE and visa-versa. The solution was continually making PvE easier so changes were less of an impact but still had the cart before the horse. Frankly lost all taste for PvP as havent seen a dev yet that could their hands off the nerf button.

You might have better luck with an RZ rules server but who knows the workings of the DBG mind...
  4. Gemini Syringes Augur

I feel like the ONLY way a TLP PvP server would ever work would be with pre-made toons and a very, very short leveling period (5-10 levels) with an expansion lock at something like Luclin.

So something like 51 premades, cap of 60.
  5. Willan New Member

yeah PvP please.
  6. Eyepk Lorekeeper

Sullon Zek was the most popular server for two weeks it was good Vs evil Vs neutral however after two weeks of intense battling 24 7 between butcher block neutrals and greater faydark goodies. Most were around mid 30s at the max because we had to constantly fight over every dungeon we could level in. The Evil side which was not interrupted in Kunark and only raided in guk maybe a handful of times. Showed up in full planar gear and camped the good and neutrals together not even an alliance between the two lesser sides helped anything. So most everyone quit but it was fun for two weeks.
  7. Somberlayne New Member

We the players posting on forums and on the EQ and Daybreak Facebook pages calling for a TLP PvP Server isnt going to work, at this point to get them to make a server we would have to prove there is an interest in one.

The best way to prove theres an interest? Get people to make PvP Guilds, throw up your Red Flag and go to town on each other. Its about the only way I can think of to prove its worth their time, effort and resources. We gotta show them numbers.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Tallon/Vallon didn't exactly "Die real quick." They launched in 199, and had pretty solid populations until shortly before the zek merger in 2005 (the same time a ton of live servers were merged.) Sullon Zek was hardcoded teams, and the launch probably didn't help TZ/VZ any (just as new TLP's today cannibalize the older tlp's to a greater or lesser extent--SZ addressed some real problems in the team pvp ruleset much like Phinigel addressed some real problems with the Ragefire/Lockjaw ruleset, but it was also the shiny new thing.) Even so, there were many active guilds battling it out on TZ/VZ/SZ till ~2004 or later.

For what it's worth, RZ, TZ and VZ all had longer lifespans than any of the TLP's excepting Fippy (and Fippy only exceeded them if you consider 1 active guild continuing to progress to be a sign of life.)
    Kattria Minx likes this.
  9. Machentoo Augur

Considering the feature is bugged as , this is probably not the best way to prove there is an interest. People will flag red, then quickly realize they can no longer effectively group or interact in most ways with blue players (IE 99.9% of the players on the server), quickly lose interest, and either quit or flag back to blue. There's an 18 year history of players attempting this and failing to prove the case here.
  10. DariyaVika Augur

I played on Vallon Zek from the beginning of Kunark until I quit the game in the middle of GoD.

The problem with teams is that they have to be hardcoded, because what happened on Vallon Zek was that three of the teams joined up against the fourth team. For awhile the top guild was a four team guild, but then most of their core got banned for exploiting in sleeper's tomb, which shocked absolutely no one who had interacted with them in the past. Around PoP the top 3 team guild decided that they might as well accept applicants from the evil team, after which the lackeys and 2nd tier guilds did the same, with the exception of a few roleplaying "lightie" guilds who three teamed against the "darkies", despite ironically being okay with necromancers and shadowknights as long as they were human/erudite/gnome.

In order to make a team pvp server "hardcore", you'd have to get rid of raid instances. Otherwise there's nothing to fight for. Doing 72vs72 pvp for Rathe council and coirnav, was fantastic. You don't want it to be like the stupid WoW pvp servers where 90% of the pvp was level 60s ganking level 25s in low level zones.
  11. Punchu Augur

I haven't discorded a character in 15 years. IIRC you could only buff / heal other red flags. How is it bugged beyond that, which I thought was a feature of being red flagged.
  12. Mardy Augur

Sullon Zek please, Goods vs Neuts vs Evils, those were some of the most memorable times I've had in Everquest. It was the closest to Realm vs Realm in EQ a la DAOC during the early days. Those that played DAOC should know 3 realms is the way to go. While not perfect, it added more flavor than the standard FFA or team A vs team B.

Yes I spent 85% of my EQ years on PvE servers. But the 2 years I played on Sullon Zek back when Zek servers were at their prime early on, they were just so much fun. If I rank the most fun I've had in MMO PvP, I would rank Sullon Zek at around #4 (AC Darktide #1, DAOC #2, WoW #3). Of course we're talking pre-2010 games here.

There were no need for GM's for camp disputes. If you wanted to crash the other side's raids, no problem, it was encouraged due to gear competition vs enemies. People on the same side helped each other, farmed & exp'ed together, more so than people on any standard PvE servers. It was truly an unique experience.

Things were pretty awesome for about 2 years. It's just too bad SOE was never good at PvP. The fact that they allowed PvP ruleset to die tells you they didn't have "the vision" like they claimed they did. DAOC, AC Darktide, and WoW all proved there was great interest in PvP. They were different flavors of PvP, but each were heavily played and supported in their own ways. SOE was the only company out of them that kinda just let their PvP ruleset die and openly told everyone they weren't going to support or balance PvP at all. Such a shame and wasted potential.

Anyways, rants aside, I would love for there to be a PvP progression server. I hope it would be Sullon Zek ruleset so there can be 3 factions. There's just something to starting over with everybody and competing starting fresh. This can be the one sever where Daybreak wouldn't have to worry about camp disputes or raid rotation or instances. All they have to do is watch out for cheats & hacks and ban people who utilize 3rd party apps. Let's do this Daybreak, Holly pretty please. You folks finally got it right by coming out with a POP-locked progression server, something players have asked for since the dawn of time. Now let us have fun on a PvP progression server, thanks!
  13. The one called Loto New Member

I would pay to play PvP Teams.

I would also pay to play on a server that resolved all group/raid disputes with PvP encounters and minimal CSR involvement. Person X is traning? Root them and watch them burn. Guild X and Y are competing over a spawn? Guild Wars - last raid force standing gets the mob on a silver platter.
  14. Somberlayne New Member

It doesnt take long to clear Classic. If anything it gives people time to make, and gear alts just to mess around with. Theres time to show an interest, its up to playerz to make that happen. And no buffs and heals is part of being Red. If blues could heal reds youve created a bad situation.
  15. Somberlayne New Member

Another idea we can do. Is set up 2 or more alt guilds with a bracket limit each week or every few weeks.

Week 1, Guilds are level 10 in such gear and only group buffed we fight in such zone /pick. And do our own best of the best group or guild pvp.

Week 2, level 15 and we continue like that. It gives us time to raid and focus on mains for blue, and time to raise skills for PvP.

We can community drive this. But we need support, and people willing to commit. Guild and PvP leaders out there lets get together and drive this home. We will never get our own server without proving an interest in a TLP PvP.
  16. Boosi Lorekeeper

Agnarr + PvP plz
  17. daffie999 Augur

Box armies of naked casters killing people. Sounds awesome! I can see it being enjoyable for a very small portion of people. Some may "think" it would be fun, but I don't think it would be for most.

I played on Prexus and RZ (PvP) in classic. The amazing thing about RZ back then was how people self-policed the game. People still had respect for others and tried to enjoy the PvE aspects of the game along with the PvP. Today's MMO world in any PvP game is FILLED with people trying to ruin peoples day. The problem in this environment is that you need to PvE to level but PvP is constantly getting in the way. It just really doesn't work well together. Not to mention EQ PvP is horrible balance wise.
  18. Skipp New Member

Second this. And if it was good/evil/neutral teams, that would be fine too. I never played on those Zeks but from what i've read it sounds fun.
  19. Dagenfehl Journeyman

You're also looking at it from a FFA PvP aspect and not a PvP Teams aspect. In PvP Teams, PVP was limited to a 10 level spread above or below, so the guy with six mages who is level 50 can't touch a level 28 who's trying to level. People would often get slaughtered and go back to their home towns, grab their guilds and come back to school the person who killed them. What you're talking about isn't really a problem except for un-guilded players who find themselves in the wrong place.
  20. Machentoo Augur

Actually FFA PvP (Rallos Zek) was the most tightly level limited of all the pvp servers--Rallos pvp was limited to a 4 level spread. Tallon/Vallon (Race based teams) had an 8 level spread. Sullon Zek (Alignment based teams) had pvp that was not restricted at all by level, other than levels 1-6 being immune.