Why in the holy hell?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Thunndar, May 28, 2017.

1. Thunndar Journeyman

Is guild name restricted to every server from all time? Good god there must be 1000 dormant guilds taking up 1000 name or more why is this not per server?
    WHY?
  2. Thunndar Journeyman

Also,
    Why the hell do you need to be in the same damn zone to guild invite a player? Are you devs that lazy?
  3. Treiln Augur

This just in! Man wants to expand interaction by increasing the number of members in guild, but complains about having to interact with said members to do so.

More at 11.

Okay, all sarcasm aside, I do agree that having to be in the same zone is a both of an outdated concept, but at the same time I like the idea still. If you didn't have to be in the same zone, this could create an issue with guilds throwing out invites to every non tagged character simply to increase its member count.

And on a side note, it doesn't take but a minute or two to meet at a middle ground or a universal point (PoK last time I played)
  4. Jetboy Lorekeeper

I believe because the old rules may still apply, partially at least as the system is now automated. Which is to say the those names are still the "property" of the accounts that created said guild names in the first place. They have the "right" to re-create those guild names elsewhere or in the future. The automation code may have changed this to some degree but I'm unsure exactly unless a Dev responds to what rules this system is now programmed to follow.
    Janakin likes this.
  5. Nolrog Augur

It has absolutely nothing to do with being lazy. It's the time required to do this and the position on the priority list. Considering the size of the dev team, we will probably never see "nice to have" things like this, because there is no reason to spend time on it as opposed to a true bug which needs to be zapped. . . . which makes perfect sense.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

It may have nothing to do with the time required to do it. It may simply be something they don't want to for whatever reason. It could have been done years ago when they had many more resources.

I don't think we have ever had devs comment on how easy or hard it is to allow guild invites across zones.
  7. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

When I do go to servers to do an invite I don't need to be beside the person I usually never see their toon just send the invite. And that,s not limiting interaction. Lets remember I will likely never ever see the player themselves because they are at their computer in their house. I get as close to them with our toons in the same zone as I do with them being at the opposite ends of Norrath :).

Yeah trust me I have seen guild leaders randomly throwing out invites and those that do don't mind traveling through zones to do it. In this particular case the guild leader was banned for other things so it doesn't happen anymore.

Like you I just have prospective members come to PoK for an invite since I am on a regular server. If I go to them or send an officer to them either they are in a clickie/port zone or I ask them to meet part way in such a zone or show up later in pok for an invite. I also have an officer toon permanently logged in the tutorial for those who don't want to wait for an invite.

On TLP servers getting around may be more of a problem. Do they have access to POK and the book transport system when they start up? Cross zone invites would probably make guild recruitment on TLP servers much easier.
  8. Khoza Augur

I'd bet it would take considerable effort. The requirement that you be in the same zone is likely hard coded so deep in EQs code that digging for it would wake a Balrog or two.
  9. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Thing is we don't know what the issue is. But if that was the case maybe they could just create a new guild invite function and leave the old one there.
  10. Qbert Gallifreyan

Group invites across zones started in the summer of 2005. Raid invites across zones started in autumn of 2005. Let's catch up guild invites to 2005, how about it! While we're at it, how about fellowship invites without having to target the person?
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Well the fellowship invites requiring a target it to prevent exploiting the system I suspect. You could simply add people to your fellowship to move them across zones etc.. so don't see that happening and I can agree with that. I don't think fellowship members are intended to be swapped out a lot.
  12. Act of Valor The Newest Member

That's an excellent way to motivate a developer to add a feature to a game: waltz into the forums acting entitled and call the developers lazy.
  13. Smokezz The Bane Crew

Cross zone guild invites is probably on the list. Your post however, will likely get a dev reading it to say what an .
  14. GothicCelt Lorekeeper

( throws wrench in middle of topic ) ... could also allow members of dormant/inactive guilds PROPERLY take over guild from GL's who have quit or abandoned said guilds...

:cool: