ZAM Borked?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Zaviere, May 19, 2017.

1. Zaviere Augur

I dunno if it's just me, but when I attempt to open ZAM pages this morning, it loads most of the text, but the page backgrounds go white and none of the navigation tools/buttons are available.
    Vandross likes this.
  2. Goodn Augur

Works per normal for me...I am a premium subscriber though.

Zam does occasionally send blank pages to me once in a while or gets caught in a loop trying to send me a new page. But a refresh (sometimes a few) always brings it back.

I am on Windows 7 using IE though. Other OS and browsers may vary...
  3. svann Augur

Not seeing it. Try another browser?
    edit: I do find zam has more delayed load times than any other site I access. I think their server must be on a really old computer.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

If you're using Chrome browser, it's an issue with AdBlock and ZAM. Disable AdBlock, should work.
    Rivitt likes this.
  5. Zaviere Augur

Thanks for the responses guys, I got it working properly again.

Strange, though... I do use Chrome for my browser, and use AdBlock Plus, but this is the first time I've had this issue with the add-on conflicting with the site. Regardless, I disabled it and it is working fine now.
  6. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

ZAM has been working on the site lately. I've been emailing back and forth the past few days giving them info to some of the issues I have experienced and others as well. If you experience a problem with the site, please write down what time it happened and send me a PM or post on the allakhazam forums about it. Include your timezone so we have something to give to the engineers to look at in their logs.
    Rivitt and Fanra like this.
  7. Tatanka Joe Schmo

Working fine for me. Firefox, non-premium user, Ad-Block Plus enabled.
  8. Grakkazza New Member

Had the same issue earlier as well - some reason if you hit F12 and close it. It starts to work again.

This is with Chrome - Ublock Origin and other person had Chrome and Adblock Plus
  9. Zaviere Augur

Oh what fun we have!

Shortly after turning off my ABP extension for ZAM, I got one of those fake WIndows Defender Alert, your PC has been locked so call this # to unlock it, scam crap. I have active, real-time protection on my PC as well as several programs I use to scan and remove malicious material when necessary. I utilized everything and was unable to find anything on my system. I promptly re-enabled ABP for ZAM and had no further issues.

I DID try the F12 thing, and it seems to work to bring back the normal website interface and such, so that's nice, because I have no intention of disabling my adblock for ZAM again.

As a side note, after restoring normal functionality of the site via the F12 thing, I tried to open the Lucy main page and was given a blank white screen with the words "Expected token not present", and nothing else.
  10. Vandross Lorekeeper

Same thing happening to me as well. Thought it was just me, glad to know it's not!
  11. YellowBelly Augur

I'm curious as to which ad system they use. Google Adsense is usually good at filtering out malicious ads. Maybe the admins could look into allowing only one ad per page. Right now I count four
  12. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

ZAM changed up the way the site displays ads and yes they are trying to get around ad blockers. The white background and no navigational controls wasn't meant to happen from what I've been told and they'll look into it.

I don't like this change, however it's not my site and I don't work for them so I don't have any say in it. However I understand what they are doing from a business perspective, they have to make more profit off the ads. The amount of developer and engineer resources they give us isn't free and it has to pay for itself somehow. One dollar monthly subs is not enough to pay for it apparently. The site doesn't have near the amount of active subscribers as it once did.

Anyways, right now this ad change is for chrome only so if you want to still don't want to pay for a one dollar a month subscription and want to block ads I would suggest using another browser. I don't know how much longer before they implement this for other browsers.

As far as Lucy being down, I emailed them yesterday evening to let them know.
    snailish likes this.
  13. Khat_Nip Meow

Delete your cookies for lucy.allakhazam.com and allakhazam.com then reload the page.
    You might be presented with the message, "No cookies for Lucy?" in which case just reload the page again and it should work.

Add: Strangely this worked for a few minutes but eventually the initial problem was encountered re the expected token message.
    However deleting the cookies again solved the issue (temporarily?) so not sure what's going on.
  14. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Khat_Nip, which browser are you using? Chrome?
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Don't remember if anyone mentioned but one year zam subs are 10 bucks now which makes it ad free. Though I realize some may morally object to paying the 10 bucks to avoid the adblocker issues.
    Aurastrider likes this.
  16. Khat_Nip Meow

Yes, Chrome browser.
  17. Rauven Augur

ZAM has taken an aggressive stance against ad blockers. Unfortunately they've used offshore ad agencies that have questionable material and business practices. If they can't get an ad on your browser, they'll do it when your not using the browser.

Makes sure your browser, Windows Defender, Windows Security Policies, Anti-virus, and Anti-malware programs are all updated before visiting ZAM's sites. Also make sure the links you are clicking are the content you're looking for, and not an at that bled out of its div.
    Elricvonclief likes this.
  18. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I haven't seen any evidence of any malware on the new ad system. If anyone does, please let me know. I've been running a logged out client since they put this new ad system in running Malwarebytes, Windows Defender and Norton Security and no hits so far. On the old ad system Malwarebytes version 2 was incorrectly flagging ads as malware due to a bug in that version of Malwarebytes. Upgrading to Malwarebytes 3+ fixed that issue.

Just a reminder that subscriptions only cost $1 a month now so if you don't want to worry about ads or see them, you might consider it.
  19. twotoneska New Member

I tend to leave a tab or two open with quests on my second monitor while I play, so I noticed that the ads will update periodically. On two occasions since the ad changes, my allakhazam tabs have been hijacked and redirected to scam pages when those ads reload. Not malware itself, but still not something they probably want happening on their site. They should probably move to an ad service that screens those kinds of scripts out.
  20. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

Ugh, I'll be on the look out for those pages. I actually have direct access to the ad company now so I can put in tickets myself to get crap like that fixed.
    snailish likes this.