Fantasy Book

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Khalifa Kush, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

Random question I figured this group of gamers would know best (for me).

I'm a picky reader but LOVE this style of fantasy. Dwarves / Goblins / Magic. Celtic style mythology? not sure.

I'm looking for a good book or series to read. Yes I've read the basic LoTR / Hobbit / Game of Thrones.

Are there any other amazing reads that people can suggest for me? Everytime I try searching on Amazon it gives me boring romantic style books. Dragon love affairs....I need something dark and awesome.
  2. Thraine Augur

any of the Drizzt books by by R. A. Salvatore .. i would suggest starting with The Dark Elf Trilogy, then go back and read the 1st 3, then you can continue on for about 20-30 more books.

should keep you busy for a few months :)
    Xeladom, Pelrond and Gundolin like this.
  3. Basak Augur

Fantasy is fun. I been looking for some good Fantasy or Fantasy/SciFi hybrids. Found one I think looks interesting but the first book isn't even out yet. Frustrating needed to not only wait on first book, but the others in the series as well, lol.
  4. Reht The Dude abides...

It's little dated but The Blue Adept series by Piers Anthony is an interesting mash up scifi and fantasy.
    Elyssanda likes this.
  5. Gr8fuldave Augur

Read the Way of Kings by Brandon Sanderson. It's soooo good. I read the first 3 Wheel of Time books and they were good, but not as good as Way of Kings IMHO.
  6. Reht The Dude abides...

Sanderson is off to a stellar start with the Stormlight Archive, Words of Radiance was a great follow-up to Way of Kings. The third book comes out in November. His Mistborn series is really good too. Sanderson comes up with great magic systems.
    PathToEternity and Sheex like this.
  7. Smak Augur

Terry Brooks wrote the Shannara series, I read the trilogy long ago and then the four books that followed it. But he has written several more by now.

The Death Gate Cycle by Margaret Weis and Tracy Hickman is not bad.
    Elyssanda and YellowBelly like this.
  8. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

This. The Stormlight Archive is fantastic, 3rd book due out in fall. (And unlike GRRM he actually tells fans where he's at and gives regularish updates on his site)

He also did an admirable job ending the Wheel of Time series, also worth reading if you like high fantasy and aren't afraid of 14 long books.
    PathToEternity and Reht like this.
  9. Randragon Augur

Patrick Rothfuss and the first two books of the Kingkiller Chronicles:

Book 1: The Name of the Wind

Book 2: The Wise Man's Fear

Book 3 is coming soon.

There is a book he did write after the first two that talks about Auri and her story. It's not a continuation of the first two books. He is still writing the third book.

Now they are also going to make a movie and a TV series of this story as well with Patrick being well ingrained in the process of that.

http://patrickrothfuss.com/content/index.asp
  10. Reht The Dude abides...

I was close to the point of hating WoT before he finished it (kept going just to see the ending) and thought he did an amazing job, his clean prose and his ability to not make all the female characters seem 'catty' was like a breathe of fresh air.
    PathToEternity likes this.
  11. Kunon Augur

Surprised no one has mentioned Dragonlance. A ton of books in several different series in a shared universe. Goes hand in hand with EQ and at times it almost seems as if it was the stories are those from a random group of toons lifted from EQ.
  12. Reht The Dude abides...

I thought about it, but most of the D&D novels kind of feel like young adult fiction to me now - don't get me wrong, i loved most of them, just not something i would think to recommend at my age.
  13. Absor Developer

Lois McMaster Bujold. Anything she's written. My favorites are the Vorkosigan stuff, but that's sci-fi. The Curse of Challion and others in that series would be my suggestion. Note, however, that the setting isn't high fantasy, but is an extremely clever and well designed world with great characters. Not that I usually do this, but I'd also recommend the Audible versions of her stuff. There is one guy that reads her books and he's also fantastic.

A
    Elyssanda, Brohg, Rhaage and 3 others like this.
  14. Reht The Dude abides...

Here are some of my other recommendations not listed here:
    Stephen R Donaldson: Thomas Convenant Series
    Raymond Feist: Riftwar, Serpertwar, ChaosWars Sagas
    Terry Goodkind: Sword of Truth series
    Katherine Kurtz: Deryni novels (like 5 different series)
    David Eddings: Belgariad, Mallorean, Elenium, Tamuli series
    Michael Moorcock: Elric books
    Steven Erickson: Malazan Book series
    Janakin, Kieren and heruthemonk like this.
  15. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

The amount of feminine braid tugs, noses in the air, aes sedai passive aggressive bs and "oh those men" behavior was pretty absurd at times. And the pace was slow at the start.

Sanderson basically fixed all of that tho!

Read a bunch of these and they all ended in dumb theoretical discussions about magical properties and theoretical systems that had poor foundations and read like a bad college fantasy writing lecture. A few were ok, but generally wasn't a fan. I wanted stuff to happen, not people tell Richard he's a rare person followed by 20+ page discussions about poorly constructed magic systems.
    PathToEternity and Reht like this.
  16. heruthemonk Lorekeeper

I'm assuming you've read Robin Hobb: the assassins trilogy, lives ship traders trilogy, tawny man trilogy.. If not I am jealous, I would love to be in the position to read them for the first time again. I love those books

Also if you like sci-fi at all then Peter F Hamilton commonwealth saga
  17. svann Augur

The Blade Itself
    Joe Abercrombie
  18. Lisard Silly

19. Khalifa Kush Lorekeeper

Lisard - that'sa $40 paperback book from 2006. 1 Review. I'm not convinced ;)
  20. Kieren New Member

I have read most of the books mentioned here.The Wheel of Time is the best one! Ive read all of them 3-4 times so far, on 2 different languages. :)