RIP Zippzap aka Quickburn

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Maedhros, Apr 20, 2017.

1. Maedhros High King

Ive got some terrible news.
    I found out today that Zippzap AKA Quickburn from ROTE, Sojo and SR on Cazic Thule and previously of Descendants on Bertox, died of a heroin overdose on March 11th, he was 33 years old.
    Those of us who knew him well, remember Zipp as a goofy but reliable friend who was very active when it came to helping players with tasks or missions or anything that you might need the services of a good tank for.
    In the weeks before his death, his behavior took a dramatic turn for the worse.
    He became depressed because of his very close brothers poor health and began to abuse drugs as his way of self-medicating.
    His abilities in game became poor and his speech was often slurred.
    I feared very much that something was wrong and tried to support him by whatever means I could. Marquele and I even invited him to take a weeks vacation in San Diego at our place to get out of his destructive environment, but he declined. Who knows how much it may have helped, but it will always be a horrible what if.

I prefer to remember him not for those last few weeks, but as a solid tank that was intelligent and quick to action and a good friend that was there to help any time you needed. Zippzap contributed emensely to data mining logs for spell info or emotes to help us beat new events and he put the guild on his shoulders at the beginning of TBM right when we lost alot of strong tanks that we relied so heavily on.

Heroin is a killer. It kills the rich and poor, doctors and lawyers and the unemployed without any discrimination.
    There is no high that is worth your life.
    Rest in peace Zippzap, your troubles are over.
  2. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Knew him primarily as Yielzen. Purveyor of high end items, and always rounding up random people for Plane of War action back when it was new and most of the server didn't step foot past Field of Strife. It's been a few years, but a great player that was hilarious in teamspeak is what I recall. RIP man.
  3. Maedhros High King

Zippzap was not Yielzen, but ironically Yielzen passed away nearly a year ago. They both used to pal around in PoWar all the time so I think it is reasonable that you might have thought they were the same player.
  4. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Hmm. At some point Yielzen and Quickburn were certainly the same person, maybe just a case of friends sharing characters, and I was under the impression it was a main/alt. Did Zippzap have an extremely deep voice IRL?
  5. Seldom Augur

What you said at the end there is so true Maedhros. Drugs like heroin don't discriminate. That's an extremely young age to go :(. Sorry for your loss
    Maedhros likes this.
  6. Amygdala New Member

This is a shame. Played with him a bit when I was in Sojourners on CT as Tannen. Seemed like a decent person. Heroin is a killer. I personally had trouble with it myself in my past so I understand what he must've been going through. It is a shame that it took another person way too early. I am saddened by this news. At least he is not suffering anymore.That addition is pure hell.
    Maedhros likes this.
  7. Maedhros High King

Yielzen had a really deep voice, Zippzap did not. I spoke to those guys all the time in teamspeak. I promise they were different people :p
  8. Xyroff-cazic. Director of Sarcasm

Righto, gotcha. Was thinking of Yielzen then. Apologies for derailing, and RIP to both of them.
    Maedhros likes this.
  9. Cimbaeth Elder

So sorry to hear about this. I've grouped with him a few times over the years, and had more than a few long conversations with him. He was a warrior in our rival guild, but friendly and smart, a pro. It's such a tragedy for people to lose their lives to heroin, or any other drug. RIP Zip
    Maedhros likes this.
  10. Zaviere Augur

My deepest condolences to you, your guild mates, and the victim's family and friends.

Heroin abuse is a terrible epidemic right now, and it pains me to see so many lost so early in life to it. I live in New Hampshire, where the Heroin and Opioid crisis is running wild. Fewer and fewer people every day are being left unaffected by it. I can't say I have the slightest idea how, but I hope a solution to this growing problem can someday be found.

You were good to offer him an escape, even if he ended up declining. Try not to beat yourself up over what happened. The fact that you extended a helping hand at all surely meant a lot to him, even if he didn't express it to you. The hardest part for people dealing with drug abuse is often finding the strength to seek out help for themselves.

May he rest in peace.
    Maedhros likes this.
  11. Coronay Augur

Zippzap was a great player and friend. Was a pleasure to be in the same MTO as you. Will miss ya bud.
    Maedhros likes this.
  12. Duhbeast Augur

Zippzap was always zipping around helping folks complete their content. He was in my fellowship and always down to do whatever. These are the players that stick out to me, not the ones that just log in to raid and bail. I have gamed with Zipp for a good few years and his departure happened way too fast. I did notice a change in him a week or so before he logged off for the last time, and it saddens me that I didn't see it coming. He was talking about hosting a trip to his families condo's in a tropical island resort, that would have been amazing. I had secured in my mind that he would be back for hardcore heritage content or before the next expansion, but I was wrong.

[IMG]
    Maedhros likes this.
  13. MrMajestykx Augur

My condolences to all those that knew him and his family as well, and it saddens my he lost to his demons as I know first hand the foulness of drugs, I lost my younger brother to it so I understand the loss.
    Maedhros likes this.
  14. Utaerx Elder

Horrible news. :( My condolences to his friends and family.
    Maedhros likes this.
  15. Kelandi Elder

Sad to hear, I played with Zipzap for a few years when he was in Descendents on Bertox. He was always a friendly, outgoing and helpful guy. RIP.
    Maedhros likes this.
  16. Spiffy Duu New Member

Thank you for posting this Maedhros, I am sorry to hear this happened.
    Maedhros likes this.
  17. Maxxbuff1 Elder

Very sad to hear that this has happened to another dependable player. Sorry for your loss. 2 in one guild in a year is hard. Keep your heads up.
    Coronay and Maedhros like this.
  18. gnomeboss Augur

i sincerely commend you for this. that's a wonderful example of being a good person. +1 iksar point to you.
    Maedhros likes this.
  19. Krinni Journeyman

i raided with freelance and only knew him as quickburn, he was always nice to me and he will be missed.
    Maedhros likes this.
  20. Salvado New Member

Hey Maed, my other Cazic friends, Sally here! I'm very sorry to hear this. Zip was a nice guy, had his ALTs in my ALT guild. Good tank, interesting personality, and nice person to know. Very sad.

Also, I had no idea that Yielzen had also passed away? OMG I have been under a rock I suppose, but used to raid with him too, great wizard. Lost so many people here, it's heart-breaking. I hope Zip and all the others, Y, Tark, etc. can all find the peace they deserve now.
    Maedhros likes this.