Regular or Time Lock for returning player

Discussion in 'The Newbie Zone' started by badbunz84, Mar 19, 2017.

1. badbunz84 Apprentice

I am looking for advice on whether I should return to Cazic Thule (Heroic 85 Mage and 66 Rogue) or jump into one of the time lock servers.

I stopped back around PoP era.

I am a casual player and I typically can only play while the boy is down for a nap (2 hours burst) or after 7pm for raids (EST).
  2. MoveFastRZ Bloodsaber

It will take a long time to catch up on CT. If you've got old friends there and are willing to put in 200+ hours of play time to refamiliarize, go for it. I frankly prefer the live servers despite all their shortcomings.

That said, the number of spells, abilities, and statistics you need to keep on top of (and therefore the amount of time to get back into the swing of things) on the TLPs is much, much lower. This doesn't even take into account the gear issue, which is also easier to surmount on TLPs, since you'll actually be able to find groups there, whereas on live servers, leveling up can be pretty lonely.
  3. Phinius Elder

Hey Badbunz, for me it's TLPs. I've been playing this game far too long, and the furthest I've been is TSS, but anytime I try and jump on a heroic character I find it quite overwhelming because the game has changed to so much in later expansions. However, I find that it is very manageable when taken in bite sized chunks on the TLP servers. One expansion at a time worth of "new" stuff, and it becomes fun, not overwhelming and insurmountable.

MoveFast also makes a good point about grouping, you will definitely be able to find groups on your way up much more easily on a TLP server, get geared up faster, etc.

Do your research on server preference, but I would choose between Ragefire or Phinigel. Personally, I'm on Ragefire because I prefer to do some light boxing, and like the longer expansion unlock timers. Ragefire is currently in Luclin, with PoP launching late May. Phinigel is already in PoP, with the next expansion around the corner.

If you do find yourself on Ragefire, look us up. I think we would fit your playstyle & schedule quite well. We're a 3 day a week raiding guild called Yeti. Hope to see you soon! Yeti-eq.com
  4. Gundolin Augur

I generally play under 2 hours a day, with the exception being 3-4 hour runs on the weekends. If you are fairly routine in your play time (for me its logging in around 9:15 Pacific and running till around 11:00 P.M.) It makes it easier to find groups, people with either the same play schedule or with longer play schedules will know when to look for you.

That said, their should be a bit of a rush in grabbing groups right now due to all of the heroics around 85, but I wouldn't expect it to last long. Then you may be solo until you hit 100+. The good news is with all of the buffs and cheap xp available on live servers now it shouldn't take you too long to get to the 100+ level range.

Welcome back with whatever you decide.
  5. northstar Augur

I get too indecisive on TLP servers and never end up getting to cap, I am currently downloading the game, I plan to boost on Vox, but I think I already have an 85 druid there so I will probably play that as a main. Best thing about regular servers is no need to rush catching launch of the next expansions. 1-105? with all options open can go as fast or s slow as you like. also you can use all your perks. which you cannot do on the TLP's hope this helps :)
  6. badbunz84 Apprentice

THanks for all teh responses guys. I am thinking about going to the ragefire server. I have been playing around on CT with a Heroic Mage but I think the TLP is better for me as It puts me right back in the game around when I left.
  7. badbunz84 Apprentice

Any pointers for a class to roll? I am old school eq so i understand that some classes just can't solo effectively. Personally i was thinking beastlord. They have all the essential buffs and heals plus a pet to tank. My other thought was a Mage. I want to pick something that is useful in a group though.
  8. Phinius Elder

For sure, either would be a great solo option. Also Necro, if you want to go the caster route. Beastlord can essentially replace a shaman (filling the slow role) in a fast paced exp group in later levels. Mage group DPS is fantastic (a bit less so in raids due to some anti-pet mechanics currently in game, but not terrible), and call of the hero utility is unparalleled.

Overall, I wouldn't be TOO worried about the solo problem of old. Sure some classes its just going to be rough if you can't land a group (rogue, warrior), but for the most part, classes can hold their own these days if need be once you get a bit of gear while you look for a group.

From what I have seen, the least common classes are caster DPS (even though Wizards and Necros in particular can top charts easily depending on the fight) and Wisdom Priests. However, melee dps would still be a most welcome addition to any group or raid. Ranger could be a good option for you. Versatile, can tank, dps, and heal on the side. At end game, bow DPS is quite strong atm, and looks to get even stronger in PoP.

Hope that helps!

-Phinius
  9. ajschliewe Elder

I will just say this. Phinny is consistently the busiest server across all eq servers.
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

There is a new TLP server coming up soon which may be easier to get into rather then join Phinny where most players are pretty established One options would be to try your current live server for now on free to play then try the new TLP server when it comes out. This lets you get familiar with the game for free and start out with others at the same time on the new server.

https://www.everquest.com/news/new-progression-server-2017-planes-of-power

"Next up, our plans are weaving together for our new Progression server: Agnarr! We're planning on launching around early summer this year. This is a new time-locked progression server with a unique rule set. Here are a few details:
    • Agnarr is a time-locked progression server that will start at the base game and eventually lock at Lost Dungeons of Norrath… permanently
      • We will refer to this server informally as "PoP-locked" even though it will eventually include Legacy of Ykesha and Lost Dungeons of Norrath
    • Expansions automatically unlock 12-weeks per expansion
    • Experience rates will be the same as Ragefire and Lockjaw
    • True Box server rules apply (one account per machine)
    • We will have a limited store that will start with lower-tier consumables (potions & buffs), appearances, and bags – and some mounts will unlock with Luclin, but marketplace offerings will not be too powerful for each expansion's era"
  11. Sakuraba Augur

I'd say kick it up on Firiona Vie or maybe Bristlebane till Agnarr comes out.

That one sounds like it will be relatively fun, as far as progression servers go. I may have to revive my Halfling.
  12. Razzle Augur

You will like Agnarr when it opens.