How about a nice "New" Race Class Combo?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by northstar, Mar 20, 2017.

1. northstar Augur

Gnome monk is over rated...

However it would be nice if a larger race or something that hasn't seen love in a while get a nice new class to play...

just a thought ;)
  2. Fanra https://everquest.fanra.info

Added a new class to a race means going through every item / spell / disc used by that class and adding that race to it. I'm not sure how automated that process is and even if it is, there are always some things that must be manually done. In addition, class guild masters usually need to be added to the home city of that race.

There is lots more, I'm sure, that would need to be done. That's ignoring lore and other reasons for not doing this. Also, it may be that monks and similar classes have special animations (flying kick, etc.) that would need to be added to the race graphic files. Also, armor graphics might need to be added.

In other words, adding a new class to a race is not trivial. The staff at Daybreak is cut to the bone and are busy with the next expansion and other things. Therefore, I would guess that this is not something that is going to make the list.

I have no objection to looking to improve and expand EQ. I just think this is unlikely to happen. Please continue to make suggestions, as I can be wrong and it is good to get a sense of what players want.
    snailish likes this.
  3. Tucoh Augur

Assuming that adding a new combination is a significant amount of work I'd personally want them to ditch that idea and add more content. Race matters so little in EQ. If I found an illusion I liked I'd ditch my race and become Iksar just for that 50AC bonus.
  4. Xanathol Augur

Actually it is not that difficult. Artwork and animations are already in game. The most work is in setting up the starting city (spawn location, GM, vendor, faction check / cleanup, etc) followed by a quick item query to add the race to class + race restricted items (and of course epic scripts). Since EQ went cookie-cutter long ago, this really only involves more dated content. The wood elf beast and froglok monk are great examples.

I've always wanted a Barbarian SK from day one. Still holding out hope!
    Tucoh likes this.
  5. Tucoh Augur

No true barbarian, from our proud race and culture would never lower ourselves to become a shadowknight.
    Xanathol likes this.
  6. Xanathol Augur

Dude, that's a feature - nothing that ugly should be robed!
    Cakekizy likes this.
  7. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

Everything is illuminated. You really should have been a Warrior brosef =/.

(*smh*)
    Dre. likes this.
  8. Dre. Altoholic

9. Xanathol Augur

Since sarcasm appears beyond your intellectual capabilities, a more blunt response...

There is no reason for any of the races you listed to ever have a robe graphic given that they do not mesh with the idea of any robe wearing class in any logical realm of comprehension. In the off chance that the development team threw all reason to the wind, the effort it takes to update a graphic should one care to is childs play to even the most amateur of designers. The fact that they don't care to update the graphic is completely unconnected with the effort or ability to do so. Lack of understanding the separation of those two efforts on your part has no bearing on the truth of that statement.

"G'day mate"
  10. Sancus Augur

Well this escalated quickly...
    Mykaylla likes this.
  11. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Triple combo! This guy is on a roll!
  12. Machentoo Augur

Which takes all of 10 minutes to write a script to accomplish, even if all this stuff is really still in flat files.
  13. Machentoo Augur

Creating robe graphics for models that have never had robe graphics before is much more time intensive than creating a script to update a single database field.
    Zarsil likes this.
  14. Xanathol Augur

Not too bright, eh? The irony of you posting 'read what you said' while obviously not reading what I said is brilliant.
  15. Xanathol Augur

Barbarian warrior, ie plate, ie what a barbarian sk would wear, is already in game. Just about every reasonable combo is already in game.

You're* :)
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

17. Tucoh Augur

Zarsil is going after xanathol in this thread like i went after the golden helm of rallos zek after missing it last year.

Xanathol, i cant blame him after you broke his mum's heart.
    Zarsil and Xanathol like this.
  18. Xanathol Augur

I wonder if he realizes Frogloks already had robe graphics before the monk class was added?
  19. Repthor Augur

Halfling bst. Pet whould be moss snake. Go go
    Xanathol and Pelrond like this.
  20. Nudia Augur

I could get on board with Halfling bst if the pet were a fire beetle.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.