Raid Currency To Be Tagged Heirloom?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Venau, Mar 10, 2017.

1. Ngreth Thergn Developer

I am just having a conversation here and I am in no way endorsing nor condemning this idea.

So, on the thought of making raid currency Heirloom, one "issue" I see, that actually goes both ways on some of the arguments have seen or I think of, is for the most part, items on the vendors have restrictions that require you to participate on a successful raid that drops the item(or one of the raids if the item is on multiple raids) in order to by it. So, if your alt has not participated in a successful raid, you won;t be able to buy anything.

On the other hand, this *somewhat* answers the complaint of "twinking" your alts. In order to buy these items, the alt would have to participate in a raid. Therefore, is it twinking?

It is, of course, a gray area there. The alt may only participate minimally, so does it "deserve" the loot. But then, it did participate on a raid... and depending on how the leadership does loot, it could have earned a piece on the raid it participated in.

And because of the different ways raid leaderships give rewards, that is not something for Daybreak to answer. Just food for thought.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Agrippa Augur

Why did the make 99% of everything rot by design even start? So people wouldn't twink? To deal with the rare handful of ninja looting on open raids?

In classic EQ nearly everything was tradable including dragon and god loot. Oddly, by the time they introduced the Bazaar, they had already killed off all forms of trading. Passing heirlooms to heirs has always been a part of fantasy and the original developers recognized that. It's pretty sad and weak design that the rot trend entered Norrath.
  3. IblisTheMage Augur

Not a raider, so I don't have an opinion on this, but I think this is a good argument. It could drive high playtime people to raid more, in order to gear up their toons (with the addition that the toon would have to participate in the relevant raids once), and it would appear that there are no loosers, no downsides, no OPness in it. The person putting in the effort would get the benefit.

Yes, it would be possible to do a concoluted procedure with character transfers and character selling, but besides being expensive, against the rules, and quite marginal in impact, it could be argued that adding this feature will not shift the amount of already existing against-the-rules character trading that much, and there would be ample opportunities for digital forensics...
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  4. Millianna Augur

This simply doesn't work out no matter how you think of it. What happens if everyone gears there toons first? What about account/xfrs? Too many issues.
  5. Thrillho Augur

1. Acquire raid currency
    2. Transfer to Mule
    3. Server transfer Mule to FV
    4. Trade gear for krono, sell on main server. Raid loot for plat.
    or
    4. Transfer gear to another mule on FV on another account, sell gear for $. (Lets not kid ourselves, EULA-breaking- happens already and will absolutely happen with this).

I don't really care one way or another. As a raider without an alt on this account, it makes zero difference to me if these coins are heirloom or not. But to say there are no downsides to this is false.
  6. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Yeah any change that can be used to make krono will be done. Whether to sell for RL cash or just to use in game. Though the worst offenders are not gathering hundreds of kronos for personal use.

I think it is very valid to say we have to consider all the downsides some of which are not going to be obvious.
  7. CrazyLarth Augur

lol for the Twin cast clicky you need to unlock all 3 achievements. I know that pick-up RL would have a fit trying to get all 3 /ach for all the boxes that would want it but it could keep mains coming the raid after they got their item. So maybe over time a few boxes could get flagged to see the item to buy it.

I am still saving my Raid-coin for the TDS cure clicky I could see myself buying the raid coin if trade able to get that item. But I would still need to get the TDS #5 the 3 /ach to buy it I think.
  8. Greymantle Augur

This is actually something I would be very much in favour of. But only as heirloom. For the folk ‘worrying’ about twinks. I don’t think you have thought it through.
    Most raid currency items, are expensive,both as cost and in terms of time to accumulate. If I have put the time in to raid with one character, and now have excess currency to that
    toons needs, what is the harm in allowing another of my characters to use it? If I have enough raid currency to completely outfit an alt, I would have had to put in
    An incredible amount of time in game to do that.

As well as Negreth pointed out, most of the very top end gear requires the raid completion flag in order to ‘see’ the best gear being sold.

Ways to control the access usage, one; put a level requirement on the currency. Two; only release the previous expansions currency, keep current content

Locked.
  9. Millianna Augur

I'm 100% against this - causes too many problems.
  10. Drogane Journeyman

In thinking of other creative ways to abuse heirloom currency as it relates to the relationship between FV and Test server. You buy a minimal amount of raid currency on FV, then test copy between all your alts, move the currency to your main on test, and voila after a few test copy cycles you can have unlimited raid currency available to yourself on test to outfit your main character on test with whatever raid gear you want as long as you've done the raid on your main to open up the vendor listings.

Actually it wouldn't even necessarily be limited from FV, even if you had only 10 raid currency from any server you could move that currency between your alts and test copy them all over to test and move the currency to the main char. After a few cycles you can buy whatever you want on Test Server.
  11. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Im confused, can't people just /betabuff on the test server and get raidgear for free from special test-merchants?, I mean how else would they test raid-tuning, before they push stuff live?
    Or do they have the same timesinks as live players?
  12. segap Augur

Already see plenty of rots going to alts. Don't see how this would benefit anyone other than guilds that don't allow alts to loot. Then, you'd have people hoarding currency rather than spending it.

The real solution to excess currency is to put some useful trinkets on the vendors. A unique clicky every expansion that doesn't drop, perhaps some of the loyalty vendor stuff like rez tokens and unatuners. Portal clickies to the Droga and Chardok raid givers on the EoK vendor would be a nice convenience item. Make them require beating all raids before you can purchase.
    Thrillho likes this.
  13. Sancus Augur

That's beta, not test.

That said, I don't really see a massive issue with copying raid currency to test. If people who have already beat the raids (which is required to purchase gear) want to fully gear themselves up on the test server.... go for it?

I think concerns regarding FV are more justified. I have thousands of excess TBM raid currency and likely will have thousands of excess EoK raid currency before the expansion is over. I'm not necessarily the norm given that plenty of guilds haven't been farming all of EoK for three months, but there's certainly potential for raiders to sell currency on FV for krono. I personally wouldn't have an issue with it (it would probably save me money), but I can understand concerns surrounding it.
  14. Venau Augur

A simple fix: Any toon that has gear as a result of raid currency cannot transfer to FV. I dunno how difficult this would be to code but the idea is rather simplistic anyway.
  15. Venau Augur

We definitely do need to consider all potential downsides and consider intelligently working out a way to remove them/mitigate them.

Again, the goal is increased player participation. Larger player bases= more fun.
  16. Venau Augur

It potentially causes problems but I have yet to see anything to suggest there isn't a way to mitigate any issue(s). Let's get more people playing more often! I'm not ready to give up cuz there's a bit of resistance.
  17. Venau Augur

The potential benefit that was pointed out to me by a hardcore player is: Once his main is max geared...other core players in his guild also have tons of gear......many of them "take a break" from teh game till the next expansion pops. This pretty much wipes out guild activity and in fact is the reason a few guilds have and will continue to disband.

This same player is very much in favor of his alts with heirloom currency. He said he'd prlly play at a high rate for much longer than he currently does.
  18. Venau Augur

The key question that needs to be answered is very simple: Will making heirloom raid currency (somehow) increase our player base? If the answer is yes then 1) Players will have more fun....and 2) EQ will pull in more $$ and perhaps we can see another killer expansion.

So far...I havent seen a single player say they'd stop playing EQ if this were implemented in some way. Conversely, I've spoken with several who would LOVE this to happen. /shrug
  19. Nuttmeg Augur

I'm with the OP on this one. If I'm a ranger main, but our raid is a couple clerics short, no problem; I'll heal and still get some currency for my main. That's fair.
  20. Cleaver Augur

We just want a way to spend the currency. If you've raided every expansion you end up with thousands of currency on your character that you cannot use.