Cost to level smithing vs why bother?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Dabrixmgp, Mar 8, 2017.

1. Dabrixmgp Augur

So just started playing on RageFire with my little box group and wondering if its worth it to level up my smithing on my DE SK. I also have a DE Cleric and figure the Dark Prince Regent stuff would last me for a while. I honestly dont think I have ever in my 18 years of EQ gotten ANY tradeskill over like 100. I spent a little time at EQTraders.com and each of the pieces are 335 Trivial. I also have an Enchanter to do his thing. I found a few guides to level up my skill but dont know if its worth it or not.
  2. Jaime Lannister Augur

I hear in later expansions there are really good trades kill rewards, but I donno. Tradeskill rewards ATM are probably better for the non raider. If you raid you can likely get better gear that way for now.

I hate tradeskills :(
  3. Shredd Augur

the shawl augment and the artisan augment . . enough said.
  4. nagash101 Augur

The population in Ragefire isn't very high but on Phinigel i personally had two smiths. Both had Blacksmithing at 300 and to be honest i made a ton of plat and Kronos. With a good health population on a TLP server selling cultural armor you can make some very nice stuff that also sells very well. Just skilling up to make your toons armor isnt worth the effort. If you are in it for the long run you can make really good money and make all your toons armor that need it. The profit and selling is all dependent on the server population and the deity/race you selected for the smith.
  5. Bewts Augur

^^^ This

Eventually you may want to smith if you want bane weapons for Luclin mobs like Emp and Seru. I think the Zek bane weapons also require smithing.

On a longer view you may want to work on all tradeskills for the Coldain prayer shawl

An even longer view in PoP there's an excellent earring (melee and caster type) that will require all tradeskills to be in excess of 220 I think to attempt - look up hope stone to find that quest line.

There's also augments further down the road that would require high tradeskills.

So is it a waste to tradeskill? Maybe, depends on what you have access to via raiding and how long you expect to play.

In the short term? Just level up, sell what you don't need and buy what you can afford.
  6. Semah Augur

Tradeskills are fun. Isn't that why everyone does them?
  7. Mrjon3s Augur

On phinny I dont think anyone used zek bane weapons.
  8. Machentoo Augur

Down the road, you also have to have someone who can smith if you want to make your raid armor in certain expansions. Or if you want to use the cultural raid augs, which are a nice way especially for tanks to gear up quickly at the start of an expansion (usually ac and stats on par with tier 2 or 3 gear in a 4 tier expansion.) Or if you want to do BiC. Or if you want to do your epic 1.5 or 2.0 for many classes. Or if you want to do the underfoot prayer shawl. Lots of reasons to do it, especially if you plan to play for a while and don't want to have to drop lots of money on some of these things.
  9. Jaime Lannister Augur

Question. I legit don't know much about tradeskills rewards.
    Is there anything in PoP (earring in your example) that is player made, that is better than PoTime loot?
    Only thing that will really get me to TS is if it's required for BiS gear.
  10. Alekyne Journeyman

http://everquest.allakhazam.com/db/quest.html?quest=2429
  11. Communist Puppy Augur

For a tank, the earring is BIS because of lack of other dodge mods on gear, for just about everything else probally not.
  12. Zinth Augur

seen several items with dodge mod on, so not that hard to get for raiders or EP flagged.
  13. Communist Puppy Augur

It is if you want to get BiS loot for all your slots, the only other tank alternatives to that dodge mod are trash drops that youd never use.
  14. Jahtw Journeyman

I made a pair of Zek bane ulak for my monk just for kicks - the player using the weapon does not need smithing skill for them. A smith has to loot a nodrop shard in tactics and use that to make tradeable steel, but from there the combines are no fail.
  15. Catashe Augur

Hell did anyone use Zek bane weapons on live? I know I didn't... lol
  16. Bewts Augur

You can only have one of the two earrings from the quest someone kindly linked for you, seeing as you're a paladin you might benefit from either.

That dodge mod is pretty tasty all things considered, unclear if it is BiS however as I don't know enough about other dodge mods available in Time.
  17. Jaime Lannister Augur

Aye I'll have to do some research. Dodge mod is good, can get a lot better stat wise though from later PoTime Earrings. I'll have to see if I can find another dodge mod worth wearing, or check efficiency of stats vs dodge etc.

Lotta work for dodge though. I hate tradeskilling =(

Edit: There is a Dodge mod Aug in LDON. Think I'mma go for that instead ! 8D
  18. Bewts Augur

There is, and it's just a test of patience to get it. Much faster and cheaper than tradeskills. Didn't want to bring up LDoN unless someone else did; because it's a dirty dirty expansion of endless grinding to BiS all your slots with augs.

PS: I thought Tyrion was the Lion (self proclaimed) and Jaime the Kingslayer?
  19. Jaime Lannister Augur

Despite my petitions, and even a forum thread here once. They refuse to make "The Kingslayer" a purchasable title!
  20. Bewts Augur

Perhaps they could make it an achievement for slaying X amount of kings...