Basic Warrior guide ( EoK Dwarfed version )

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Wardees, Jan 21, 2017.

1. Triconix Augur

Huh? It works with DW enabled. The only time flash doesn't work is using 2H prof. Now you're giving incorrect information on top of incorrect information.

You may want to double check that because it's wrong. Completely different SPAs.

HTL: 120, 185, 186
    RGV: 393, 138

That would be wrong again. It stacks perfectly fine with RGV. It doesn't stack with HTL.

Not entirely true. WG gives 3k hate. UA gives around 7k hate. They both also do hate mods which is very useful when dumping aggro on a mob if you don't have Rage of some other aggro mod running. They also both do aggro reductions for all other PCs.

It is true that you want to be using a taunt-type ability for aggro swaps though.
  2. Brohg Augur

Quite right, on all points.

It didn't occur to me to check, but the three out of eight bandolier setups I have that activate Dual-Wielding Proficiency - to wit, those with Alchemist's Torch offhand, with RollingPin+Stein pri/sec, and the actual <Empty> /bando - don't keep Flash of Anger from functioning. I had never before this day looked at that.

Verified, my years of habit with chaining Resplendent-HtL instead of stacking them isn't mechanically enforced. That's a … style(?) choice to prefer 3m40s of boost over 1m40s of double-boost.

Vehement Rage indeed only overwrites Hold The Line.
  3. Makavien Augur

> UA gives around 7k hate. +++ AC quite a bit of ac.

And all absorbs stack now the highest only gets used while its up though..
  4. Makavien Augur

This is missing the most recent expansion .

Pure Hate Disciplines

Lvl 93-
    Roar of Challenge Rk. III - Increase hate by 2145 - PB AE

Lvl 99-
    Wade into Battle Rk. III - Increase hate by 12523 per npc in 35 range scaling infinitely - Defensive proc

Lvl 100-
    Phantom aggressor - Increase hate on cast by 8378 and transfers an unknown hate amount per tick- Single Target

Lvl 101-
    Cyclone Roar Rk. III - Increase hate by 8273 on cast and 3888 per tick for 30 seconds - Single Target

Lvl 103-
    Insult Rk. III - Increase hate by 11443 - Single Target
    Tormenting Shout Rk. III - Increase hate by 12244 - Single Target

Lvl 104-
    Warrior's Bulwark Rk. III - Increase hate by 5288 - Single Target
    Stormstrike Blades Rk. III - Increase hate by 13708 - PB AE

Hate Multiplier Disciplines

Lvl 101-
    Dichotomic Shield - Increase Hate generated by 100% - Multiplier

Lvl 102-
    Unflinching Attention Rk. III - Increase Aggro modifier by 65% , Reduces everyone else's Aggro Generation by 15% - Single Target

Pure Hate AA

Blast of Anger rank 11 - Increase Hate by 45,000 - Single Target

Gut Punch rank 11 - Increase Hate by 5500 - Single Target

Infused by Rage rank 21 - Increase hate by 4800 - Defensive Proc

Projection of Fury rank 3 - Increases hate by 52000 when it fades after use - Single Target

Hate Multiplier AA

Sneering Grin rank 3 - On a successful taunt will add 9127 Hate - Random taunt proc

Warlord's Fury rank 1 - Increases Hate on Skills by 25% - Multiplier

Rage of the Forsaken rank 2- Increases hate by 8000 and then increases all hate generated by 80% - Single Target & Multiplier

Warlord's Grasp rank 6- Increases hate by 5000 on cast and decreases all hate generated by others by 35% - Single Target & Ally hate reduction

Proc Mod AA & Disciplines

Rage of Rallos Zek rank 1 - increases proc modifier by 10000% - Great hate generation with a double rune weapon or Force of anger weapon.

Weapon Covenant Rk. III - increases proc modifier by 415% - Takes up your disc window as an active discipline when you have nothing left you can use this to help keep ahead of the curve with either a double rune weapon or a force of anger weapon.

Instant No Fail Taunts

Ageless Enmity rank 5 - No Fail taunt putting you 12000 hate above the previously most hated target - Single Target 100 Range

Area Taunt rank 4 - No Fail point blank Area Taunt that places you 13000 hate above the previously most hated target- PB AoE 40 Range
    Wardees likes this.
  5. Janakin Augur

Okay someone named Brohg, make a new Advanced Warriors Guide!
  6. Brohg Augur

I find Advanced Warrioring to be very interactive, based in great part on what the warrior can expect from their healers and from the specific encounter.

I can describe my general tanking plan, though.

The general plan is to never just be what it says on the label, to always be a bit tougher, by stitching together a rotation of the five minute cooldown things: Dichotomic Shielding (1m duration), Pain Doesn't Hurt (3m duration), Guardian's Bravery (CoA BP)(8ticks), Diplomatic Immunity (Diplomatic Papers)(5 ticks). The first three do stack in highly complementary fashion, and combo with Last Stand, but using them that way sets up a situation where the warrior gets progressively and dramatically more likely to snuff it at 2 ticks (shield flash expires), 48s (CoA BP expires), 1min (dicho expires), [2min if you blow Tenacity also, it expires], and 3min (Pain+LastStand expire), without anything super obvious changing for the healers who thought everything was cool once the boss was fully debuffed like 1-2 ticks into the battle. My preferred route is to make healing needs as steady as possible without leaving the power of cooldowns just sitting on the bench - so, I chain them.

Similarly, I use Hold The Line and Resplendent Glory end-to-end, instead of stacked. Because it doesn't particularly "go" with any other sequence, I use Blood Drinker's Coating in this series as well - that combos nicely with dps boosters, so if I'm not using them some other time, I'll do War Sheol's & Second Spire with Coating.

Commanding Voice, Field Protector, and Stout Defense stay up, obviously, and I use Blade Guardian, Warrior's Bulwark, and Brace For Impact basically on cooldown.

I mostly save "the big guns" Fortitude, Last Stand, Warlord's Bravery, Warlord's Tenacity for crises, or for post-res when I need their help to get back up to the resilience that healers are used to pre-res with buffs & such.
    Tucoh, Drusi and Janakin like this.
  7. Janakin Augur

I do basically the same and notice I last longer that way. Stacking them all together seems to only work short term or for fast burns. Love the longer duration of CV, FP and SD now! An IC rotation also really helps with multiple warriors in the same group.

When doing group content or older raid content I have found my gear alone is adequate enough to slack on doing "the works" when tanking.
  8. Lianeb Augur

Over many years of playing a warrior the one thing I have learned is that no two tanks do it the same. I have a feeling that I play more or less like Brohg, in the fact that I like to string things out in groups that compliment each other well. You can certainly stack up more and go full "turtle mode" but turtle mode is going to leave your healers with a large gap to cover where you're almost naked. Turtle mode in most cases you are "over tanking" and over tanking on raids can be just as bad for you as under tanking.

Anyone can play a warrior but you HAVE to understand the class the buffs and the situations to do it well.
  9. Triconix Augur

Adding onto this: you also have to be aware of how the guild operates. Some guilds do tank rotations, some do T2D (tank to death), and some can even do a combo of both depending on the urgency of the fight.

My play style has drastically altered depending on what kind of strat we are using. If I know I'm going to be attempting to tank the entire event, I'm going to drag my abilities out further, while if I know a person is going to swap tank with me in 5 minutes, I'll dump more at once and not worry too much.

Essentially, my baseline to start any event is PDH + LS. Depending on all other factors, I'll work off this. I also make sure to use my faster refresh abilities first. This will give me the chance to use them more times over the course of a fight. I won't use Tenacity or long refresh abilities (10+ minutes) until later on in my rotation as the odds of them repopping again are slim. However, I may be able to get a short refresh ability to come back up twice or even three times, depending when I use it.
    Wardees and Drusi like this.
  10. Babayetu0101 Journeyman

Just returned after not having played since OoW and want to roll an ogre warrior.

I'm simply shocked and overwhelmed at all of this. I'm not going to make my character a heroic character as I want to learn as I go, but holy . I'm counting at least, what, 4 entire rows of nothing but activatable hot buttons?

I mean...yea...help?
  11. Tereil Elder

Yep. Sometimes even more for situational. But if you're starting from scratch, you'll be fine and get to learn each ability as you go. Won't be a sudden flood of "holy crap!"
  12. Tucoh Augur

Here's some help:
    https://forums.daybreakgames.com/eq/index.php?threads/teach-me-how-to-warrior.237655/
  13. Brohg Augur

Well, depending on if you count Bandolier, Potion Belt, and Combat Abilities windows as variations of the same things-you-can-click-on-to-take-actions category … yeah, a dozen. For me three of those bars aren't battle stuff, though; they're just utility things that are nice to keep handy.
  14. Wardees New Member

Hahaha. Terrible. This is like using a monster truck to pick up groceries. You are leaving a ton of DPS, and tanking potential on the table. Saving all " the big guns" makes no sense. It's like a zerker just auto attacking all night just Incase a named pops. Ignore Brohg. Brohg learned how to warrior by studying raidloot.com while botting his "alts". Brohgs advice is invaluable if you think a warriors job is to attend princess tea parties, and sniffing fairy rainbow unicorn farts. There's some great advice in this forum from what I'd assume are better/more knowledgeable warriors than I. Again Brohgs advice is so bad it's not worth trying to fix. Please ignore.
  15. Brohg Augur

I don't think you actually read the post?

edit: right, nevermind. just OP being salty. silly me, carry on.
  16. Wardees New Member

Dude you make no sense. You're right it's my fault for feeding the troll.
  17. p2aa Augur

Wardees you didn't understand the meaning of Brogh's post, and that has been well said by posts of next warriors. This meaning is that it's better to chain your survival stuff one by one, than using all of them at same time. He's 100 % right.
    As Lianeb said it, there is not a single way to do this, warriors will do things differently in order to achieve this goal. No need to be so aggressive.
    Here is how I do, I say it just for information, and I don't say "my way is the best way", as I repeat it there are many ways to achieve the same goal.
    My guild is doing a tank till death thing.
    I don't save stuff for crisis moment like Brohg can do, and I start like Triconix with Last Stand and PDH only.
    I try to treat SPA 162 abilities differently than the rest. Aka, it's possible that I would have Dicho Shielding running under PDH for example.
    Regarding SPA 162 abilities, when PDH is down at the same moment roughly that Last Stand ends, I click Brace for Impact. When PDH is back, I will look at my Brace for Impact number of charges left. Usually there are still 40 + charges left, and I click again PDH. If i live again that long and PDH is back again, I check again BFI charges left, and if I estimate that there aren't much left, usually I prefer keeping PDH for when BFI will be down, so that I reduce the gap to not have any of our own SPA 162 abilities up.
    Regarding the rest of our survival abilities, of course I click Stout Defense when Last Stand is down, and my goal is to use stuff one by to one to last until Last Stand is back again. I will start with our fastest good refresh stuff. Dichotomic Shielding, then Guardian Bravery, then Diplomatic Paper (yes this one is a SPA 162 ability but as it doesn't last long can as well use it with other survival abilities) then Warrior's Bulwark then Warlord Bravery then Warlord Tenacity. At this time, the fast refresh abilities will be back, and when Warlord tenacity is down, i click back Dichotomic Shielding then Guardian Bravery, and Last Stand Disc is back, I then use it again. When Last Stand is down again, I then run again Dicho, then Guardian Bravery then Diplomatic Paper then Warrior's Bulwark that should be back. At this time, Warlord Bravery and Warlord Tenacity won't be back of course, this is where I will use a combo of Hold the Line + Third Spire + Blade Guardian, then when Hold the Line is down, Resplendant Glory + Warlord Resurgence, and I will pray that Dichotomic Shielding and Guardian bravery will be back soon. I "pray", because I find that during this 3-4 min period my survival takes a bigger hit compared to former stuff, and quite a few times I happened to die during this period. Then after Dicho and Bravery we are back with a new round of Last Stand. At this time if I lived that long I hope the event is over or not far to be :)
    Of course, I keep Field Protector and Commanding Voice up all time, and also Harmonious Precision too each time it's back up.
    The increased duration has really been a great thing, it allows to not have to worry anymore clicking the hotkey every min.
    Shield Break is in my mash hotkey with Bash, Kick and Knee Strike, and I click it when the shield break red timer has stopped, aka every 10 sec.
    I strongly advice new warriors to get their hand on an Anguish Warrior BP with the Guardian Bravery effect, this effect is no nice.
    Wardees likes this.
  18. Tucoh Augur

For what it's worth I mostly agree with Brohg's post. Doing my job well means knowing precisely how all the abilities work, their durations and cooldowns, and when to use them in a fight. The goal is to not just keep healing needs as steady as possible, but also complement healers.

A key interaction is between the tank and the healers and knowing when one or more of your healers is incapacitated or may be busy healing someone else. Doing this well is something I'm working on improving.
  19. p2aa Augur

As you cannot edit after a limited amount of time, I would like to correct a big typo I meant of course this effect is so nice :)
    Tucoh likes this.
  20. Triconix Augur

For what it's worth, you don't sound like a very intelligent warrior. Too many unmitigated hits on the head, perhaps?

What Brogh said is essentially a flavor of what every good warrior does. It's all about flexibility and adaptation.
    Sheex likes this.