PSA on Velks camps

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by TarewMarrForever, Feb 24, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dysfunction New Member

How you play the game reflects your character. If you can't respect people just because they are within a digital game in which you may have the upper hand via time spent or experience, I can't imagine that you are going to respect people out of the game. Don't cry when people one-up you just the same.
  2. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

[IMG]
  3. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Nice irrelevant comparison fallacy.

Better go round up top end Call of Duty players and take them to psych wards because how they play clearly shows that deep down IRL they're a bunch of mass shooters.
  4. vaio007 Elder

Why be a ? The OP didn't name-shame and posted something fairly respectable. You even at some point implied you're not the "*******" you let on and that it was kind of a joke. Seems to be a fairly simple message so I'm confused as to why you're going out of your way to complicate it and turn it into a turd-fest.

People are people, it's nice to be respectful and respected, and your personality traits show through even playing a game. What is there to disagree with? I mean some people say f*** it I'll do what I want and that's their choice, but still I don't think there's much to argue with in the underlying premise.

So what are you arguing? Or is it just argument for the sake of trying to win a thread?

"Irrelevant comparison fallacy"? Actually what Dysfunction said was true: You're a human with a brain and how you choose to play your character is a result of said brain. People who are complete *****s obviously have thought processes at work leaning toward p****-ness. So at a very innate level it is a reflection on your character, whether or not you hide it in real life. Again, I don't see what the argument is: you're the one playing your character, not a bot. The things your character says and does come from your grey matter. To misrepresent that and say people playing shooters would be killers is the (seemingly intentional) fallacy; but it would still be accurate to say that people playing shooters who do d*** things do themselves have d*** tendencies in person, given the d*** things they're doing came from somewhere in their d*** brains. Your characters actions/words aren't magically generated from nothing, they come from you.

I find all of that to be fairly simple to understand. Whether or not it's "bad at EQ" to follow it and more accepted to let the inner out is something else.
  5. Xoner Baby Joesph Sayer

Regardless of how elegantly anyone presents the argument, I can't take anybody seriously when they defend trash talking somebody's real family-life because they made a tongue-in-cheek comment about griefing in a video game.

My wife plays this game. She also reads these forums. She's pretty bothered by this. You're going to suggest that having her personal life brought up in here is okay? What did she do exactly to deserve that?

You seem somewhat smart. But you must have some seriously twisted sociological issues if you're going to act like that crap is justified. Either that or you practice a very sophisticated EQ victim lifestyle and your biases are clouding your judgement.
  6. vaio007 Elder

Neither the OP nor Dysfunction (to whom you responded which prompted my response to you) said anything about your wife. It was an isolated (and itself nasty and unnecessary) post that I didn't even see and that no one else responded to or said anything about. I was responding to you suggesting Dysfunction was wrong and to your first post in this thread about how people should cry more about getting stolen from them. Neither of which was prompted by anyone saying anything about your wife or your personal life.

But in response to your completely unrelated post about whether or not bringing up someone's personal life and family life on a forum is appropriate: No, it isn't. But it does beg the question of how said person knows about it, and thus I'd also contend it's a poor choice to put sensitive information out there for others to use.

Back on topic: Stealing things from people is crappy. It's always been part of the EQ experience though.
  7. Astley Augur

Note... Dysfunction did 'LIKE' the unnecessary post also.
  8. Healbro Elder

PSA: If its super late at night and I'm bored and I zone into Velks and see 3/4 or more of the mobs fully spawned from the zonein to the top of frenzy I'm prolly gonna start pulling tons of them and AE them down. My wiz box gets 15-17% per pull off those mobs and I get lots of velium to sell. Your fee-fees are of no concern to me.

Ok I'm trolling slightly. In all seriousness I don't think this post was about me as I was only 2 boxing and I don't play a class that's even capable of charming. But I too have been in Velks mass slaying spiders recently for multiple reasons. Mostly to get xp on my wizard alt. Secondly to get tradeskill mats. When I did it there was nobody at entrance at all and 1 group at Frenzy that was barely keeping the top level and about 1/2 of the 2nd from top level clear. I kept an eye on them to see how much they were clearing for a few min before I started pulling. They hadn't touched the 3 spiders just outside the hallway leading to invis wall in ~15 minutes and were starting to get respawns on top floor. So I decided to claim the stuff they weren't clearing and pulled everything from invis wall down to entrance. 5 minutes later some random dude starts complaining in /ooc "STOP STEALING OUR MOBS" or something along those lines and I immediately ceased giving a **** about pulling "their" mobs and just started pulling whatever I felt like. I never touched the top floor or any of the mobs immediately surrounding their camp but anything else was fair game and if they weren't pulling it shortly after it popped it was mine.

Whining in /ooc intensified and I continued to ignore it. If you have a problem with me pulling mobs you feel entitled to I suggest your first course of action to send me a tell and be polite about it. Your chances are almost 100% that I'll back off a bit or go somewhere else. If you immediately resort to caps lock crying like a child in /ooc my first instinct is to kill every single mob in your "camp" to spite you and keep it up til you leave or I get bored. The same person crying in ooc finally sent me a tell like 30 minutes later still being whiny and annoying. I politely informed them that I didn't pull any mobs immediately surrounding them or from the top floor. I pulled only from the invis wall floor and down and they were mobs they had left up for extended periods of time. There are no camps in this game and there are especially not any hard lines of camps that everyone agrees on. I did however tell this person that I was going to bed soon so everything would be theirs anyway and if they had just approached me in tells a little more politely I would've been much more willing to work with them. Like 2 minutes later I ran up to buff their group before I went to bed and they had all left. All that fuss for nothing.

TL;DR I'm camping FRENT. If you got a problem with it send me a tell and don't be a **** and I'll work with you
  9. TarewMarrForever Augur

^^^ Has Clue.

OP here.

Yes, to the vast majority of opposition posters, go back and re-read my clearly sarcastic (note the /sarcasm) OP. Of course, I know there are no camps. I know the "policy". I know the rules, and what is legal and illegal. I also know you can't Cancel Magic on somebody. I didn't. As I posted.

Again, I can crop-dust your table in a restaurant. No rule saying I can't. But I don't, because I"m not a . This guy was a . He was killing stuff we were killing. Yes, he has the right too. I have the right to crop dust your dinner. I don't do it, because we live in a society.

For those of you who don't get it, I feel for you. I truly do.

And for the record, we were clearing everything between the two camps, but it's impossible for two groups of 6 to *instantly* pull 60 spawns as we weren't AoE groups (they're lame and boring). We were pulling major pulls, 10 to 15 per, but there's still time for them to get killed, and even in our high DPS group, a mob could easily re-pop and sit for 30 to 60 seconds before we'd get to it. That's the nature of the beast. Given the zone layout and lines of sight, it's impossible from Frenzy to pull everything instantly. You can get lots in one chunk, but you can't get them all (nor could we handle them all at once). That left opportunity in the "no mans land' above ent but below frenzy to eek out a few kills per cycle.

But if you get to it within a minute of it popping, it's certainly within your "camp". When this guy walked in, there was nothing there. We saw him /ooc LFG, and then 5 mins later after nobody needed him, he figured he'd just take what he wanted, as meager as it would be, instead of looking elsewhere.

So yes, this guy wasn't getting much, 2-3 kills per cycle (we wouldn't KS what he'd engaged, as we're not asshats), and again, that's my entire point. A *PROPER* player would have not even setup there. A *PROPER* player would have gone someplace else. someplace uncontested, and not only gotten better XP, but also not INFRINGED upon kills that other groups were already clearly taking down in a reasonable timeframe (< 1 minute after respawn).

Again, argue the point if you want, but if you don't see the logic in that, then frankly, you're part of the problem.
  10. TarewMarrForever Augur

OP here agian.

You know, that's fine, if you ask. Just ask. Say something.

"Hey, it looks like you guys aren't getting to those on level 3 catwalks very quickly...mind if I carve out a few?"

If we were ent group and you asked, we would say sure, as long as we were in fact, letting them stand for a significant amount of time before we got to them (> 60 seconds). After all, if they are indeed standing, then that means others in the cycle are standing, and we can reduce our cycle rate to the respawn rate and still get the same XP, while at the same time allowing you to get some XP.

That's being a community. That's proper etiquette. It takes both sides to work together, but that starts with COMMUNICATING!!!

Not taking.

Not assuming.

Maybe the reason 3 were standing a bit longer when you got there was the healer had a bio break. Or the tank had to let the dog out. You don't know. So ask. MOST players here are good, if they group can share, they will.

If you see somebody is KILLING things, you shouldn't just barge in and take it. It doesn't matter if it's legal or not. It doesn't matter if you are the right or not. It's not the right thing to do.

If they say no, then fine, they've been warned. If they let them stand for a minute, then go get them, and tell them sorry, but you tried to be nice and do things the right way, but it is THEY who are being selfish by not sharing what they cannot kill in a reasonable timeframe.

It runs both ways...
  11. Draekon Elder

You’ve got to be kidding me. I’ve been further even more decided to use even go need to do look more as anyone can. Can you really be far even as decided half as much to use go wish for that? My guess is that when one really been far even as decided once to use even go want, it is then that he has really been far even as decided to use even go want to do look more like. It’s just common sense.
  12. Kapi New Member

They spent so much time thinking about if they could... that they didn't stop to think about if they should...
  13. Illusory Augur

My statement is still 100% correct.

and, yes, they tried to enforce it, but that play nice policy was removed when they realized it was unproductive to enforce across 2 dozen servers.
  14. Accipiter Old Timer

15. Illusory Augur

I'm not sure what level of play you maintained throughout the early expansions, but I played in a competitive raid guild from end of classic until OoW/GoD and it was like the wild west - especially on expansion release. It was a much slower race of course, because everything was always brand new and zones were yet to be explored.
  16. skattabrainz Augur

Hopefully the new tlp server will have modern first hit tagging like there is in other modern games. It's ok to change some aspects of the game and still maintain the sense of old time nostalgia.

I get nostalgic about playing in groups as opposed to modern mostly solo mmo gaming, and the excitement of death being a real setback, I'm not nostalgic about having some with a 6 box and no sense of decorum killing the mobs my group.has been killing.

Bet you a first hit tag, true box progression server would be a money printing factory. I'd bet a few krono on that.
  17. RadarX Augur

Closing this one up.
    Sheex likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.