New Pick Lock feature is terrible.

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Trizek, Feb 15, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Illusory Augur

That would be Holly.
  2. Accipiter Old Timer

There's no way to know that. She's the face if the lunacy but she may or may not be the source.
  3. Dadcop Lorekeeper

I'm still pulling my hair out about Coirnav
  4. Illusory Augur

She's the 'executive producer' of EQ, EQ2, and EQNext (RIP.)

[IMG]

She's gotta be THE shot caller... Just look up the responsibilities of an 'Executive Producer' and apply it to the gaming industry.. She may be the sole perpetrator of all these changes.

I got my eye on you, "Holly Longdale" if that's even your real name.
  5. Zeklia Lorekeeper

Holly would be the one that is in the pocket of they who shall not be named
  6. Illusory Augur

The Acolytes of Sodium?
  7. Gidono https://everquest.allakhazam.com

I'm wondering if /picks were the cause of the server instability. Has the server been stable since the patch? I didn't pay attention last night running around doing the new quests they put in.
  8. Machen New Member

Has not crashed since patch, I still think this is the most likely scenario. I can envision someone above Holly putting the pressure on, saying you have to get this crashing taken care of right away, and this is part of their solution to that.
  9. Numiko Augur

Ji Ham is the current acting president of Daybreak Games.
  10. Taladir Augur

The real issue I see is that such a drastic change was made so swiftly, without extensive testing or community input. We don't even know for a fact why the change was made. Many speculate that it has to do with server stability, but I find that highly unlikely. It seems to me that server stability would improve naturally as we get further from the most recent expansion unlock and the volume of population at all hours decreases. I've heard that the change was made on more of a philosophical basis, because people having zones to themselves was outside of intended pick functionality. Ironically, the manner in which this "fix" was implemented has caused just that to take place, and hampered the efforts of players in legitimate social groups.

I didn't really see an issue with people holding picks open to help with some of the more brutal turn-in quests with very lengthy respawn times, such as the Hungry/Angry goblin or Shadow Knight epic quest. It just made painful quests slightly more tolerable for the community. I would encourage Daybreak to consider reversing this policy because its implementation seems knee-jerk at best.
  11. Bewts Augur

I would just like to point out that the tears over contested raiding that spawned the Phinny instanced rule set clearly sets the blame for instance abuse squarely on the shoulders of all those that shed said tears.

You have no one to blame but yourselves for the instance locking you have now.

On a lighter note, if DBG had the vision to see that a highly concentrated server running instanced content was going to create so many problems for server resources, they could have simply migrated both RF and LJ to that rule set at the outset and load balanced more effectively than sending everyone to a single server.
  12. Illusory Augur

Bewts, I don't think this change had anything to do with the Progression servers. Not at this stage of the unlock cycle anyway. I have a few theories, but the one that makes the most sense is that this change was implemented to combat botters from further exploiting the system and getting instances to themselves on the live side. If DBG doesn't host their own servers and you have 100 instances of a single zone with 6 players in each, then you have a very expensive bill coming to you at the end of the month. I'm going to guess that bill is getting dangerously close to your monthly revenue if Phinigel is your primary source of income.
  13. Taladir Augur

Why do you have such a chip on your shoulder about Phinigel? And why leap to the "blame the customer" mentality? Your post isn't productive in any way, shape, or form.
    Meteon likes this.
  14. Hludwolf Developer

No
    Tudadar likes this.
  15. Jenarie Elder

I'd really love to hear the intention behind this change. It doesn't make sense from a player perspective at all as it has almost ruined the whole point of picks which is to be able to spread people out.

Need more time to play with it but it is really hard to understand the point of it.

If they wanted to fight abuse, just leave the old system and have people pop at zone in every time they pick. I know I've seen this suggestion a lot of times so I guess this isn't the intent of the changes.

If they wanted less picks, something similar to what they did might make sense however it seems it will have some unintended consequences and make it really hard for people who are grouping in the picks after other people start going to bed for the night or it's raid time for a guild so half the people leave etc... existing groups shouldn't lose camps just because other groups decided to leave.
  16. vardune Augur

Just NO? Not any kind of response for why you implemented such a terrible change?
  17. AgentofChange Augur

Why did you guys change this? It's significantly worse now. Pick zones were a huge benefit, especially to a server as populated as Phinny. What was the intention here??
  18. Hludwolf Developer

I was responding to his incorrect post.
  19. vardune Augur

Best thing to happen to EQ in 15 years and they just made it worse. Is Smedley Back? Heard his last gig died a big death.
  20. vardune Augur

can you respond to the 10+ questions about why you all implemented a terrible change?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.