Enchanter Nerf

Discussion in 'Casters' started by tmplatten, Feb 8, 2017.

1. tmplatten Lorekeeper

I am shocked that enchanters would have their unity spell
    nerfed from 10sec to 25sec. /quitseq
  2. Ankarv Harbinger of Nightmares

This is insane, please reconsider this nerf
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  3. Sindaiann Augur

Yeah the recast timer change is beyond ridiculous. Making the buffs share a timer made sense, but this is beyond overkill. Just goes to show you they don't have a clue.
    Vdidar and Ratbo Peep like this.
  4. Ratbo Peep Augur

Agreed. This is a very bad thing for Chanters.
    -Rat
  5. Maxxbuff1 Elder

It is not just the rune timer that concerns me. I see other issues that may come to pass, and hope I'm wrong.

- - All spells had the additional hate modifier removed.
    - - All spells now have their own mana cost in addition to the base mana costs of the triggered spells.
    - Enchanter - Chromatic Haze and the effect of Gift of Hazy Thoughts will now increase the base damage of direct-damage spells that have a damage-over-time component; either increasing the initial direct-damage of a spell cast or increasing the base damage of the next damage-over-time tick of a qualifying spell.

Not sure how I feel about the hate modifier, I have adopted its use in the group game, but on raids, it will be nice to not pull aggro on mobs unexpectedly.

The second bullet is small, but an additional mana cost. I often struggle with mana while on raids, especially when I die.

The CH change, I feel may cause us to be a little less predictable in terms of damage. When I hit my burns, I want CH to hit for my largest damage spell. Not some tick of a lower damage dot like bewildering constriction that is already on the mob (I will be saddened if mental contortion qualifies). Hopefully, the only qualifying spells are the high damage ones.

In addition, for the 2 counters, I want to hit the twincasted highest damage spell. So if I have 3 dots on the mob, and the top 1 does not happen to twincast, the counters could be consumed by 1 hit of mindstorm, and 1 hit of bewildering constriction for the second one. All can occur before I am able to get mindsunder cast off.

We'll have to test it out and let's hope this is an upgrade in the end.
  6. Sindaiann Augur

It's worse than that. Go look at the Test Update forums. They screwed up GoCH procs bad. Spells are eating the charge that can't crit based on the spell data. IE - Dot ticks are eating the Haze procs and not critting.

As for Chromatic Haze AA, instead of dot dot, pop burns hit CH and start nuking, Ill change it to pop burns + CH, nuke, nuke (or Nuke with ITC), dot dot, and continue. Only way to ensure a useless DoT tick won't eat that as well.
    Maxxbuff1 likes this.
  7. IblisTheMage Augur

This seems to be aimed at removing rune tanking for enchanters, right?
    Yimin likes this.
  8. Jamazing New Member

9. moogs Augur

Yes. And the fact is that enchanters should not be tanking current content.
    Yimin likes this.
  10. fransisco Augur

Enchanters cannot really rune tank current content anyways.
    If they could, its because of raid gear letting them live. And well, anyone can tank a single mob in raid gear.
    Ratbo Peep likes this.
  11. moogs Augur

There are enchanters main tanking for their groups in EOK because pets and mercs are so bad. At least the mercs will be boosted properly, and the long-standing issue with merc gear making your merc worse will be fixed.

Raid gear is not even required anymore. TBM vendor gear works just as well.
    Yimin likes this.
  12. gotwar Gotcharms

Except this has been possible since before the Unity line was introduced in VoA. Unity certainly made it easier, but let's not pretend this hasn't been an intentional design for many, many years.

There's really no point in trying to fight it though, as it's likely not going to be changed, so we'll adjust. That being said, there are so few main Enchanters around nowadays and this will make them even more rare. The fact that there's over 100 posts in the SK nerf thread and... like 10 here highlights that point. I realize a lot of Enchanter mains just don't post on these boards or don't feel the need to chime in, but even so there's not that many of us left.

In the end, this really hammers casual players the hardest, particularly those in unconventional groups. Having an Enchanter tanking with unity was less than optimal, but you could use it to get through content that group would otherwise have no chance at. This has hampered that design and hurts everyone - and, as odd as it sounds, it's a bigger nerf to the casual players who don't play an Enchanter more so than Enchanter mains (who will quickly find ways to adapt to this in their solo play).

What worries me more is this:

I'm seeing the same thing and it's not good. There is a 100% chance that our Hazy Thoughts procs will always be eaten by a DoT every single time, and since there's no way to see how that actually affects the damage right now, there's no way to know if we need to ask for an adjustment to be made.

Would love to be able to actually test this and find out if we got doubledipped on ultra nerfs this patch or if this is results in a minor decrease or a "side-nerf" or what.
  13. moogs Augur

Dealing with the Hazy Thoughts thing really sucks. I'm just going to stick with nukes in my group.
  14. Sindaiann Augur

If you dot and nuke, you can't control where the haze proc is used because most likely a dot tick will eat it. And from what I saw, every dot tick that ate it, never critted. That's bad for us.
  15. moogs Augur

With respect, I think this is a fallacy. Like rangers headshotting and SKs swarming half the zone, I don't think these were intentional designs. The dev team adds some things and we end up with unintended benefits that players will discover and take advantage of. If they had more devs, they would probably spend more time balancing classes and keeping things in line. Since only one dev works on spells and another works on AAs and both are too busy to play the game on a regular basis, it can take a long time to see how these abilities are used out in the wild. By that time, they're already tasked to work on other things. I could be completely wrong but that's my best guess on how these OP abilities stay alive for as long as they do.
    Belexes and Sheex like this.
  16. Tereil Elder

The unity line being on a timer is all well and good. But that recast time is... well, quite ridiculous.

I do hope the non-crit issue is oversight for CH.
  17. gotwar Gotcharms

Yes I agree, just trying to assess the actual damage right now.

Which we can't, because as you point out, it's broken.

Not good.
  18. Sindaiann Augur

I actually think its intentional. So that necros benefit from the 40% base damage per dot tick without it having 100% crit rate on every GoCH proc. They should of just left it as it was. Necros didn't need to benefit from our GoCH procs and if they wanted to that bad, create a trigger and use a dd at that point. Oh wait, they didnt care about it because their dps is FINE.

Quite pis*ed off about this.
  19. gotwar Gotcharms

I really hope you're wrong about this.

Nope, spell data/patch notes makes it look like you're not.
  20. Ratbo Peep Augur

They MIGHT be able to rune tank a trash mob - and it takes forever for them to kill it that way.
    This is just silly. The CH thing is just plain broken.
    -Rat