EverQuest Landmark Closing ... What's Next For Us?

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Your_Ad_Here, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Your_Ad_Here Augur

My husband just informed me of this about 5 minutes ago. Here's the link to the article: https://www.landmarkthegame.com/news/important-news-about-landmark-2017

It's really concerning, because Landmark was quite rocky after it was announced (anyone remember George's videos?). As it has me thinking ...

What's next?

Supposedly there is talk of another TLP server opening up down the line as stated in the December 2016 Producer's Letter. Do you think DBG is reaching too many fingers in too many proverbial pies?

Here's hoping 2017 brings good things and less closings.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Tudadar Augur

I think progression is killing it for them and they will focus on progression and expansions. That said, I feel bad for the people that bought the $30-100 packs/advantages if they lost their money. At least it wasnt several. hundred to several thousand like pantheon.

I think they are doing the right thing. A new progression every 1-2 years to keep people coming back (along with extra specials like the 40 slot bag on TLP that brought them $100k+ from just creating one bag) I believe the biggest cash inflows other then the subs will just be continuing to create special buyable items on thriving new progression servers.
  3. Cleaver Augur

No one really played it anyway had a few hundred players at best and it had no sustainable income.
  4. Your_Ad_Here Augur

True. My husband and I paid the 100$ for the big pack when it was announced, I really regret doing so. The building was fun for a bit, but got stale very very fast. My husband stayed a bit longer, through the part they brought in creatures, but just didn't seem to work out.
  5. Gyurika Godofwar Augur

Not to sound harsh or uncaring but this is pretty much an example of a business "trimming the fat" and cutting costs to be more profitable and to focus on the bottom line.

They are streamlining their portfolio and getting rid of the things that were either losing money or not making enough money to make them worth sustaining. Just part of how a venture capital company works when purchasing another company.

Daybreak may get sold again at some point or Columbus Nova may hold on to it for several years. We'll know when they announce it but otherwise we can just try to stay positive and have as much fun as we can while trying to help keep it alive with what money we can/do spend on it.
  6. fortuneteller Augur

Its very understandable that they close Down it. If they dont earn Money, or even loses on it. Then WHO would not do that ?

Is there any special about it ? Not as far I know.

DBG developer chief of Landmark in talk with his/her chief.
    So, now Landmark has been running for some years, and each year, we have had loss.

How is the subscribers, any chance of increase of those? Naeh.
    Any special Things we can get any extra income on ? Naeh
    If we make a new package(expansion),can we get our expenses covered by people buying it, and possible new subscribers ? I dont think so.
    So what you saying is, we bound to lose Money on new expansion, we dont have our normal expenses covered running the game ? Thats correct.

Then Chief says: Close Down Landmark
  7. YellowBelly Augur

I feel like EQ is lined up with the rest of the DB game library awaiting a possible Negan's bat. Who will they choose next?
  8. Jumbur Improved Familiar

Well, they do have an "unannounced title" on their roadmap, so I don't think DBG is closing down just yet. But they do seem to be shutting down their "not so profitable titles". However, I am sure that EQ1 is not one of them at least. :)

Best case scenario: They are shifting their resources to their core games(and I hope EQ1 is one of them).
    Kravn and Geroblue like this.
  9. Critts Augur

It would be really nice to get the developers that where working on landmark to help out on EQ1. I'm not worried about Landmark shutting down as it was never really intended to be the core game itself. That being said I do feel bad for the people that bought into Sony's Trap.
    Your_Ad_Here likes this.
  10. Act of Valor The Newest Member

EQN might have been cool to play if they didn't decide to split it into two games instead for some reason. Now we don't have either game.
  11. Riou EQResource

We did get Augur for EoK and hopefully all time past that :) I'd imagine most of those people will be moved to a new game or let go though.

I don't know, if EQ was doing badly they wouldn't have added an additional 2 Devs to it in the past like 6 months.
    Slippry, Sancus and Reht like this.
  12. DeadRagarr Augur

I honestly doubt much. EQ would hit no expansion mode <and I mean 3/4 years with no expansions> first before it was closed.
  13. CrazyLarth Augur

Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  14. Act of Valor The Newest Member

Getting Augur back was the best news EQ has had in a long time.
  15. Kravn Augur

All of the dev team they fired up for EoK did a great job... granted some things are not exactly how we want it but all in all EoK was one of the most successful expansion launches in a while. Not to mention, the expansion as a whole is quite good. The foundation they have here could easily be laid upon... What are the frogloks of seb and drovlargs of karnors up to? Is the Ring of Scale (VP) going to stand by and let the Combine plow them under? How do the lords of Charassis feel about things? Oh yeah... Iksars... last I remember they were a pretty rowdy bunch... wonder how they are doing...

So very many possibilities to follow up EoK with....
  16. Act of Valor The Newest Member

EoK is great on almost all facets. The biggest problem with the expansion is the size. I'm not expecting over 20 zones like Ruins of Kunark, but I think if Daybreak can give us more zones, more raids, more quests, then they have really got this whole "expansion" thing down.

And address server stability.
  17. svann Augur

I thought it shut down long ago. I mean, did it even go live? After EQN shut down I thought landmark was in limbo.
  18. Go Hawks! New Member

Tudadar what do you mean? Pantheon is still in development and they are streaming the game and everything... with Alpha set to happen sometime in first or second quarter 2017. The game looks like exactly what everquest players would want does it not?

After all.. its being made by the original maker of EQ. I can't wait for this game to go live. Do you think it won't happen or something?

I watched the whole thing... This $h!t got me hyped

This was a live stream from December 2016
    Sancus and svann like this.
  19. Tsolaes Elder

Very sad to read this. Landmark was a lovely Minecraft clone with a great build engine. But to add insult to injury, Daybreak wont be releasing/selling the game code to the hardcore fans, just like with LoN. So no private fan servers. All the hard work people put into making the game and all the hard work players put into making cool things... gone forever. Lame!
  20. Stewgottz Augur

It is lame for people who invested in it. I bought a founders pack too. You win some you lose some I guess.

At least maybe EQ will get some more resources committed /shrug.

As for Pantheon, we'll see. I've been hearing about "The next EQ" as long as I've heard about "The end of EQ".