Attention Devs: Paladin Focus Tab AAs

Discussion in 'Tanks' started by Nightops, Dec 23, 2016.

1. Nightops Augur

Please review the paladin focus tab AAs.

To me, it seems like someone just went in and made a generic 4 ranks of 2% increase in damage to our DD spells and healing spells. This may work for other classes, but when it comes to the paladin and giving us a total of 8% increase in damage for spells like Crush of the Darkened Sea; it doesn't work.

*from eqresource.com
    Crush of the Darkened Sea Rk3 = 933 damage
    For 100aa, we get about 80 additional base damage.

I'm not in game to re-read the description to the AA lines, but to my knowledge, the 2% increase per rank only effects the damage and not the agro. Can anyone confirm?

I know this example is extreme, but with the base damage so low to paladin DDs, there are other examples which give between 100-200 base damage increase.

Why is there no focus tab AA lines for things like Vanquish the Fallen or Disruptive Persecution? Is there a reason why the focus damage lines can not be made to modify an AA line, but only spell lines?
  2. Qbert Gallifreyan

You're right, they are pretty terrible, but they are better than no upgrade at all ( . . . still waiting on the level 101-5 upgrades for some of our spell lines ><).
  3. Derka Power Ranger

Hate should be 1 point per DD damage so that's a little more aggro. Not a whole lot added
  4. mackal Augur

It's based on base damage though, so focus AAs should add nothing.
  5. Dre. Altoholic

Congrats you've just summarized the intended power of every ability in EverQuest.
    Xikteny and Brohg like this.
  6. Riou EQResource

Hate Overrides on them should override anything they do or gain :p
  7. Aelen Augur

It's SPA 413, spell effectiveness. Did anyone ever actually prove that 413 doesn't touch hate overrides? It mods at least some stuff other than damage, it's what bard instrument foci use. I'm pretty sure a lot of us got SPA 302 in place of 413 specifically to avoid it modding certain debuffs and such.
  8. mackal Augur

The pitiful damage increase makes me feel like maybe they should just make them do something else :p

I know devs like to add togglable hate bonus AAs so they probably wouldn't want to add a hate bonus to these, but these spells have a massive hate override so if you're casting them for anything but for hate, you're doing it wrong :p (at least the crush mentioned)
  9. Brohg Augur

I feel like these threads must come from players that have literally never logged on any character of another class, or read any forum thread without their class named in the title.
  10. Nightops Augur

That's my point. The crush mentioned isn't used for damage.. so why add 4 ranks of +2% damage?

Paladins have two AA lines (Vanquish the fallen & Disruptive Persecution) which are used more for damage but didn't receive a focus line. Was there a reason why the devs didn't want or couldn't add a focus line for these two?
  11. Brohg Augur

because spells that deal damage got +dmg focus AA this expansion.

...because they're not spells that deal damage.

What's confusing about this?
  12. Chaosflux Augur

Remember when crushes ignored hate overrides and created near double the value of the override?

Pepperidge farm remembers.
  13. josh Augur

DP and vanquish are both dd spells, if you are saying they are aa's and not scribed spells than sure, but it would have made infinitely more sense for us to get another rank of those than to get 8% to the dps of a hate spell for 130 aa's. or 8% to the hate for a hate spell would also make sense.

The laziness of adding 8% to every scribed spell is the problem that is being discussed. So your response of, dd's got 8% and non dd's did not get 8% adds nothing. We want them to take some time and look at the spells they are giving us aa's for and realize, oh, that is a stupid thing to do for this spell, lets do something else that will actually add value.
    Nightops likes this.
  14. Kleitus_Xegony Augur

Take a close look at the "Focus: Admonish" AA

• Focus: Admonish(Rank: 1) (Lvl: 105)
      • This passive ability increases the base damage and healing of your Admonish spells by 2% per rank.
    • Focus: Admonish(Rank: 2) (Lvl: 105)
      • This passive ability increases the base damage and healing of your Admonish spells by 2% per rank.
    • Focus: Admonish(Rank: 3) (Lvl: 105)
    • Focus: Admonish(Rank: 4) (Lvl: 105)

They should have take a similar approach to the Focus lines for the Crush spells and increased both the DPS and the Hate Override. It was brought up and ignored in the beta forums. :(
    Wulfhere and Nightops like this.
  15. Nightops Augur

Thanks for your response (and Kleitus too).

I had stopped replying before your post because I didn't feel like trying to debate this with someone who wasn't going to be constructive.