** Live Players - Please Read ** We need more players on test this week!

Discussion in 'Test Update Notes and Bug Roundup' started by EQ Dev, Oct 12, 2016.

1. EQ Dev Developer

In the next scheduled Live Update, we are planning on changing some significant things related to how the client uses memory and how the graphics are processed in EQ. Specifically, we have enabled Large Address Aware mode (and resolved a number of issues related to doing this) and have updated our Direct 9.0c libraries to the June 2010 release (it was previously a much older 9.0c release).

What does this mean to you? Even if you are able to run EQ on any Live Server currently, you may have issues running EQ after the next live update. We need to get as many graphics card, CPU, and OS combinations onto the Test Server as possible to verify that things will be OK.

Please post here if you are unable to get to character select or cannot zone into the game on the test server.

Before you post, make sure that you have installed the June 2010 version of DirectX 9.0c. The installer is available from Microsoft at https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=8109.

Include this information when posting:
    - Exact error (if there is one)
    - Graphics Card
    - CPU
    - OS (w/ bit type 32-bit or 64-bit)
    - If you crash, please also include the time that you crashed.

Thanks!

And please avoid posting any discussions about the patch or about any unrelated bugs in this thread. All off topic posts will be removed.
  2. segap Augur

I assume all these changes are also on Beta and spending time there will provide the same value?
    AB_H'Sishi likes this.
  3. Hludwolf Developer

Yes this also on beta. Good question.
    AB_H'Sishi and Gyurika Godofwar like this.
  4. Cleaver Augur

#1 rule about beta is dont talk about beta :rolleyes:
  5. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

Such times are happily in the past.
  6. Xianzu_Monk_Tunare Augur

I am guessing this hopefully should address some issues like running out of memory leading to crashing during zoning and not being able to see everything when all bags in inventory and bank are open? Or is this just setting things up for such fixes?
  7. Cleaver Augur

no it just means it will take you longer to run out of memory lol.
  8. Imak Augur

Exactly correct. This doesn't fix the core issue which is many-years-old memory leaks caused by poor garbage collection. You will simply last longer before implosion occurs.
  9. AB_H'Sishi Augur

That's covering Beta *content* ... and it's not applicable to the recent two or three beta seasons - there wasn't a NDA in the past years and there isn't one for this year, so we may even discuss about things we see there.
    Still, we can't be 100% sure the Beta content will go live as it is on Beta even at release day.

BTT.
    If we do crash on Beta or Test and get asked about "What did you do before the crash" - can we just give some keyword so a Crash report log filter can sort out those crashes?
    As for the time given, to which time zone should we convert the timestamp?

//HSishi
  10. Malbro Augur

I notice on BETA, that the gamma slider is not in use. I can't adjust it and it is kind of dark.

I looked on test and it still worked there.

I hope that part of beta doesn't make it to the live servers.
  11. Hludwolf Developer

This kind of thing should be posted on the beta forums.
  12. Sirene_Fippy Okayest Bard

You can enable it in Options > Display tab > Advanced? (I think) > Enabled Windowed Gamma

AFAIK enabling/disabling this is already an option on live.
  13. Jetboy Lorekeeper

I have DirectX 10 installed, so is that an issue? Do I have to install DirectX 9.0c as well? The whole subject of DirectX is confusing to me, isn't it simply backward compatible?

If changes are being made that may render EQ unworkable on a persons computer, can this subject (and its fix) be explained in plain English so that a six year old can understand?

If I recall, didn't the Luclin expansion years ago cause a huge uproar because few could play due to something like this DirectX change?
  14. Smokezz The Bane Crew

You've always needed to install DirectX 9.0c. If you can play EQ, you already installed it
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  15. Malbro Augur

My apologies and yes I should have. Also about the advanced window option, I completely forgot about that. :oops:
  16. Havanap Elder

A lot longer, maybe even forever. It would be tough for a previously 2GB game to max out 4GB. Better garbage collection (to a point - no one wants the game to reload every single resource each time you zone) and smart resource allocation would definitely help, but this will be huge as it is. Woohoo, less crashing is good!

I imagine it will have issues on 32-bit Windows, so that part should probably be tested well.
    Xianzu_Monk_Tunare likes this.
  17. Shash Journeyman

I logged on to the Test version, everything was fine there. But now since I switched back to the Live version I get this message:
    "That server is unavailable. Please check the EverQuest webpage for current server status and try again later" I get this with any server I select. How do I fix this?

My guildies are getting the same message...even though the list says servers are up no one can log on. At least this is not related to the Test version, sigh of relief there.
  18. CaptainSkeet Augur

Login server is down. Fixed when DBG does something.
  19. ShoutsAtCats New Member

I am unable to login to any Live servers.
  20. Warpeace Augur

One way to get people onto Test and BETA.