What a waste of development time

Discussion in 'The Veterans' Lounge' started by Millianna, Jun 20, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Millianna Augur

Making changes to outdated content for a one time summer TLP event is completely waste of development time. Yes, I am talking about CoA. How long do you think theae dumb TLP events are going continue bringing in revenue? They are going to crash and burn eventually.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  2. Reht The Dude abides...

3. Jhenna_BB Proudly Prestigious Pointed Purveyor of Pincusions

Yes all the Krono sales alone from a progression server won't be worth it at all - nor the $15/mon fee to play as we all forget "Progression" servers are just like "Live" servers and require the monthly fee to participate.

The hate and vitriol over Progression style servers is still very puzzling to me. The condition of Live servers would not be much better were their no Progression servers over the past year - in fact EQ may have been sunset just like LoN and PS1 this summer without the revenue streams brought in from these servers.
    jeskola likes this.
  4. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Not a fan of the competition servers but obviously Daybreak did a cost/benefit analysis and finds it to be a profitable idea. It has already driven krono prices up in terms of plat cost which might make buying krono off of Daybreak more lucrative.

I don't have numbers but I am pretty sure a lot of people let subscriptions lapse over the summer so this will help with plus bring in some additional folk who stopped playing. And they can probably keep it going for a while by varying prizes and perhaps making the prizes more lucrative as time goes on.

Now if I had my choice I would have preferred they had simply given people more reasons to have an All Access subscription on the Live servers. I realize Daybreak is a business out to make money I just wish they could find a way to do that that would mean investing more dev time and resources into making the Live servers better.
  5. Millianna Augur

Please provide empirical evidence of your claims. TLP isn't going to last forever. Yes it's my opinion, that spending money on players who will continue to play is more beneficial to the game than placing those funds in a slot machine.
  6. Sancus Augur

Please provide empirical evidence of your claims.
  7. Reht The Dude abides...

Like us, you don't know how much revenue these servers bring in compared to live servers, nor do you know how much dev time is actually spent on making these changes or how much dev time is pulled away from Live to make these changes. For all we know, much of their "live" dev time could be spent waiting on the art team to make new zones (or reskin them) and models and is now being used for these extra servers. Ngreth is back, so unless he replaced someone who left, they have increased the team which is a very good sign for EQ, which may or may not have had something to do with the success of the TLP servers, it clearly wasn't because of the success of TBM.
    Elricvonclief and MrMajestykx like this.
  8. Potawatomi Augur

Shouldn't you support your original post with empirical evidence before you ask others to do so?
    Aghinem likes this.
  9. Ravengloome Augur

IDK walk through EC on a progression server sometime. Somebody had to pay for all those kronos.
  10. Millianna Augur

My post isn't a fact it's opinion. If you are going to make a statement as it is a fact, then yes, provide the evidence.
  11. Millianna Augur

Let me make my statement crystal clear. Anytime spent on changing outdated content when it is functional is a waste of development time. And yes it's an opinion.
  12. Reht The Dude abides...

If enough people are paying for it, it's not a waste of development time, that's not an opinion, that's a fact.
    jeskola likes this.
  13. Arcainos Augur

Several of the last live server expansions were based on old (outdated) content. So I disagree here.
    Generally agree that I would love to see DBG focus more on adding new players to live servers and making the game fun and move forward vs. progression servers, but if people are spending money on progression, /shrug what can you do.

If the continued focus on progression makes sense financially for DBG, I would hope they would add resources to it, vs. taking them away from live.
    Reht likes this.
  14. segap Augur

If all the work they have done allows them to spin up new contest type servers with little effort in the future, this could pay off. They're probably looking at how they can level off their revenue year round and special summer only servers are a way to do that. It shows that they believe the EQ brand and code base can be a sustainable market.

They just have to be able to balance effort on such things with not having another cluster**** like the TBM release. Special servers need to enhance revenue without driving away the loyal base.
    Reht likes this.
  15. Bigz_Zupdarty Augur

I've played EQ since 1999. My preferred style of play is progression. I still buy the new expansions, I still pay subs on 4 accounts. Why is my money not good enough to be spent on TLPs instead of live if that's the style of play that I prefer? I will be playing this game until it sunsets. Why do I not deserve resources committed to my style of play Millianna?
  16. lancelove Augur

Stormhammer...
  17. Vanrau Augur

My guild is on Phinigel. We have over 400 active players in our guild and yes we boot inactive players or else we would have much more on the roster. We are just 1 of 18 other raiding guilds on the server. Now imagine all the revenue Daybreak is getting from all these players from all the different guilds. Subscriptions, Krono sales and market place purchases.

Tell me again how much a waste of development time it is to put development time into TLP servers.
    jeskola likes this.
  18. Bamboompow Augur

Just because you (OP) do not like the idea does in turn instantly results in it being a bad idea. Thanks for your subjective opinion, but unless you work for DBG and have ready access to their finances, do you really know it is a bad idea?

EQ is still a business, and anything that brings in revenue as well as keep customers engaged with their products is considered a good thing.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  19. Millianna Augur

I
    If the changes to OMM and others are solo important where are the patch notes? They managed to report text changes, why not the boss changes?
  20. Kravitz Augur

I'll help this guy out. There is evidence based on population dynamics based on age of the servers. Mayong, Fippy Darkpaw, and Vulak'Aerr and now to some extent Ragefire. All have extreme dwindling populations over a 3 year time window when you compare that to any live server.

You can argue the live servers are not doing well either but if you compared a 3 year time frame from the start of the server to 3 years from that date, you can easily see that these types of servers are not good for the long term health of the game and just take away from resources that should be utilized to create new content.

Just wait till Ragefire/Lockjaw and Phinigel reach GoD era, there will be less than a 1000 active players on these servers. Its just unhealthy to waste time into these servers after 3 have already failed. One is enough, do we really need more of these types of servers no not really.

Short term monetary gain isn't healthy for the long term health of the game, while it may look good on your fiscal yearly earning report. If they had spent actual time improving the core of the game, they wouldn't have people flaking out after 6-12 months of playing. I don't think they run the business well from what we've seen happen over the past 10 years, because a good company has a 5 year , 10 year and even 20 year plans, no matter what field you are talking about. The company I work for reviews our 5 year, 10 year, and 20 year plans and adapts to changes in the market. I don't think anything like that exists at SOE/Daybreak (changing the name of the company hasn't changed the mentality of the workforce there).
    Gyurika Godofwar and Yarr like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.