Lag is back. DDoS

Discussion in 'Player Support' started by Zeklia, Jun 13, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aghinem Augur

I received my certification in Cisco networking in 2006; I think I have a deeper understanding of this than most people. What I posted wasn't a pep talk and I wasn't acting holier than thou, it was to share information to give people a deeper understanding of what is going on - not to shut anyone up, but you clearly have a 'shoot the messenger' personality. If you want to keep your head in the sand, that is your choice. I doubt you read the entire message being that I gave an important clue that EQ players may unintentionally be part of the DDoS. Personally, I feel there are more jarring events going on in the world than some DDoS - like what happened in Florida.
    Corwyhn Lionheart and Darkangel like this.
  2. Narye Augur

Some people need to take a step back.. look outside, go outside! OMG there is life outside of EQ, remember tho, it's a different language, you are allowed to laugh, no say LOL to funny things.. and so on
    Go ahead, show that shiny white skin to the world! It won't hurt!
  3. Kahlev Al-Calen Augur

Real Life is a crappy Pay to Win MMORPG...
  4. MrBadWolf New Member

Hate to break it to you, but you're the only person criticizing *anyone* here. Aghinem just provided a lot of helpful information---some of which could have helped alleviate the problem at hand. I suggest you re-read it, take a deep breath, and accept it. Or, at the very least, point fingers, yell, scream, whine but do it at the right person---the person responsible for the DDoS attacks.

It's like watching someone get mugged at gunpoint, and then walking up to the person who just got mugged yelling at them for getting mugged and asking for that $20 they owe you.

I never post here, or anywhere honestly, the older I have gotten. It's not that I don't care, or don't have anything to say, but mostly because of people like you---who just want to "vent." You spread anger and dissent. Something goes wrong and you want a pep talk instead of the truth or god forbid contribute a way to help solve the problem.

The conundrum for me now is whether I even make this post. This thread won't even be relevant in a week...
  5. Albumin New Member

Seriously, the lack of knowledge about computers in this thread makes me wonder how some of you even play the game.
    Corwyhn Lionheart likes this.
  6. Narye Augur

omg I have a hilarious story... a player (not naming names) bought a large, monitor after asking my advice.

A bit later he said, "I cant see anything, it's so small"

So after troubleshooting - it was found he was on a 27 or 29.. playing in basic, what was that? 600x800? :)
    Aghinem likes this.
  7. Dilquan Augur

Bragging about a certification that is now 10 years old and outdated is like bragging about a Windows XP cert. Well done.
    Adaarye likes this.
  8. Cymon New Member

A DDoS is still the same thing it was ten years ago and infrastructure still runs on the same principles. He is stating that he has training in networking and at one point held an industry cert. I'm willing to go so far as to say that he probably does have a deeper understanding than most.

Don't be a .
  9. Aghinem Augur

Do you have anything useful to add or did you create a profile just to spread vitriol? Secondly, today 6+6 equals 12 - as it did 10 years ago. If that is too complicated of a analogy for you, the nature of DDoS was no different 10 years ago than it is today. Maybe next time you enter the battle of wits, you won't engage unarmed...
  10. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Actually these people are not acting holier then thou they are just acting like mature adults. No one wants to hear anyone continually whine at Daybreak for things beyond Daybreak's control. The fact someone can claim a simple explanation is a "holier then thou" attitude just shows how silly their behavior is.

All Aghinem did is present some facts explaining why blaming Daybreak makes no sense. I would love a reasoned response so to how this makes him "holier then though" and how it says he is trying to be a "server moderator". I mean seriously please explain it.

You seem to be the one trying to act like a moderator here. *shrugs*
  11. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

"Defending against a concentrated and sustained DDoS attack can be akin to defending against a 4 on 1 “fast break” in a full court game of basketball – there are too many attackers and not enough of you. Your defenses are completely overwhelmed, and the attackers are headed to the basket for an easy score." Quote taken from http://www.tripwire.com/state-of-se.../defending-your-network-against-ddos-attacks/

So your analogy is a bit flawed. In this case you are expecting the average middle income homeowner to not only install a state of the art alarm system but have 24.7 roving patrols of armed security forces along with some high end electronic monitoring of the property. I would also add that this would be in a high crime neighbourhood http://www.cbsnews.com/news/half-of-companies-hit-by-ddos-attacks/ at least having half your neighbors suffering break ins sounds like high crime to me.

From my research it's just not as simple as installing an average alarm system to prevent robberies.
  12. Mjod Journeyman

Anyone get some lag last night (Tuesday) around 8:30 or 9 pm Eastern?

The lag started just as it had the previous 2 nights, but then subsided. Whereas the previous 2 nights the servers crashed. My thoughts were that Daybreak did something different and prevented the servers from crashing. I suspect these attacks are more common than we realize.

I wonder if we will ever find out what really happened given the policy not to acknowledge the attacks and thus give credit. I guess it’s possible that some guy, somewhere, is so pissed off about a pixelated shotgun that he brings down an entire system. But it seems unlikely, like some strange movie script. To have an army of computers at your disposal would require significant intelligence, knowledge, discipline, and planning skills. This is not the image I have of pixelated shotgun guy.
  13. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

Unfortunately from what I read its not expensive to hire hacking services so you don't need an army of computers of your own or the technical skills. All you need to do is find those that have these resources and know how to send them some bitcoins or whatever. Whether it's DDOS attacks, stolen credit card lists, stolen log in info etc its sad to hear how cheaply this stuff sells in the dark recesses of the internet.
  14. Poppah New Member

Radar_X has acknowledged and verified it was a DDoS on the Reddit forums for Planetside.
    https://www.reddit.com/r/Planetside/comments/4o2c5t/is_planetside_2_getting_ddosd/d4905bi
  15. Corwyhn Lionheart Guild Leader, Lions of the Heart

16. Poppah New Member

In response to someone there asking the same question, Radar_X responded:

I didn't see a reason too honestly. The how or why is less relevant than getting things working. If you are looking for official communication and status, the forums are the spot.
    If you are looking for a little less curated off the cuff responses (which sometimes confirm things like a DDoS) this is your spot.
  17. RadarX Augur

No one is shy about it. The word DDoS in this thread title was my edit when merging the threads.

As the event has been over for almost 24 hours we'll go ahead and close this. PM me with any concerns.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.