Progression PvP server? Will it happen?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by Farzo, May 25, 2016.

1. Farzo New Member

Hello Staff,

I must confess it has been awhile since I have had an active EQ subscription because I cant bond with the "newer" EQ so I have spent many years playing emulated eq servers (ones that your company have blessed).

I have however been considering playing Phingel or Rage progression servers because I like the idea of having 3-6month content unlocking. (6 months seems to be the best idea, 3 months is too short imho).

I however like to PvP in eq and was very disappointed that I see no plans or talk of releasing a progression PvP server.

Yes I am as many are aware that EQ PvP is not for everyone but there are enough of us out there that would love a progression PvP server yo be released and I infact feel it would be a very successful if not the most successful progression server the staff at Daybreak Games could release.

If you could make a server where PvP is enabled with a +/- 4 levels range, no item loot and instance endgame raid zones i.e (no intances in classic), (Vershans Peek in kunark) and (Temple of Veeshan in velious) but leaving all other raid zones open to pvp it would be an epic server.

Guilds could be pvped on the way to their raids, but once in the safe zone they could pve as much as they like to get gear (stops the blocking of raiding) but outside of those 1 safe raid zones its a free for all between guilds and pvpers.

This type of server would easily attract 2-3 thousand plus players on at peak time.

What do you all say?
    Dulu and Kalipto like this.
  2. Tunare Lorekeeper

No
    Sendori and Ugin like this.
  3. Queena_Brokenhearts Augur

I say you've lost your freaking mind! It would attract 2-3 hundred players at peak time at best!
  4. Machen New Member

I don't think EQ PVP attracted much more than this even in its heyday. I seriously doubt everyone who played pvp 15 years ago would come back for a pvp progression server any more than everyone who played classic eq comes back for the progression servers.
  5. Numiko Augur

one of the EQ2 progression servers was PvP server.. they closed it due to lack of interest in less then 6 months.
  6. Farzo New Member

that's because eq2 kinda sucked as a whole compared to eq.
    Dulu likes this.
  7. Badfish New Member

I would love to see a PvP TLP. Recently unsubscribed all my accounts because PvE just doesn't do it for me anymore, but I would come back for a new TLP PvP server.
    Dulu likes this.
  8. Farzo New Member

you'd be very surprised, there's emulated servers out there that have 1.5k+ pop.

also most "blue" or PvE players don't understand the value of getting items and pvping with them, the concept of getting bis or competitive pvp toons then fighting is lost on them, logging off after looting that new weapon is basically what a pve server is about.

on a pvp server you have essentially a whole new game to play after the pve is done.
    Dulu likes this.
  9. TrinculoDarkblood Journeyman

Looking at P99, it's about 5:30 Eastern (so still early, but a good indication) and there are about 850 people on Blue vs. 75 on Red. I'm sure people pro-PVP advocates will give all sorts of reasons why, but the numbers are the numbers. And whatever explanations you might give for why that is, I don't know why you would expect that those same issues would be any different under DBG.

That said, at this point I'd like to see them launch it just to watch the population over time.
  10. Cicelee Augur

No.

And for those who speak Spanish instead of English....

No.
    Ajjantis, Ugin and Nolrog like this.
  11. shaggster Lorekeeper

I would LOVE to see another Discord pvp server, but have it last longer than the first one.
    Some of you may remember this PVP server from eons ago.
  12. Machen New Member

1.5k pop simultaneously playing at peak? Or 1.5k total pop? Because total pop wasn't what the post I responded to mentioned.

And, as to the rest, I get it -- I played exclusively on Tallon Zek for the first 5 years of my time in EQ. Doesn't mean I think a pvp progression server will succeed or thrive, especially today with DBG running the show.
  13. Farzo New Member

on at the same time, non-box server, seen it up to 1.8k too pop. I'd say on weekend its 1.5k+ average non box server.

essentially I would say on a progressive pvp server you'd easy see 1.5-2k weekend pop ( alot of eq players dont play blue servers coz they are boring after you loot items)
  14. Farzo New Member

yes but the other 1000+ red players that have come and gone because progression isnt there; coupling progression with pvp would draw these guys back in a heartbeat.
  15. Finley Augur

I don't know anything about running a gaming company or maintaining servers, but from a practical stand point, does it cost them much to have a PvP server?
  16. TrinculoDarkblood Journeyman

Based on leaving Vulak up, no. It can't cost them much. Then again, the fact that they shuttered the EQ2 PVP TLP shows they aren't opposed to closing servers when they feel like it. Could be that the CS for it was a nightmare and they anticipate the same for EQ1 TLP PVP. Maybe you could get one if they completely disable the petition function for the server.
  17. Machen New Member

That's basically what they did for Sullon Zek and it worked out fine (from a customer service standpoint--not so much from a player retention standpoint.)
  18. Solist New Member

I would really enjoy playing something like this.
  19. Funk Augur

I'd love to see something like this, I say yes.
  20. Consenses New Member

Where are you getting your numbers from? There have been maybe 1000 unique players ever on red and most of them left after RMT laundering via red blue was addressed.

And a 1800 peak PvP server? Doubt it.