Mages

Discussion in 'Casters' started by Millianna, May 11, 2016.

1. Millianna Augur

After my last nerf, I shelved my mage. Pre nerf, I hardly ever saw uber guilds recruiting mages. Post nerf, I see daily requests for mages from uber guilds. So I guess I am not the only one who retired their mage?
    Stune likes this.
  2. Sheex Goodnight, Springton. There will be no encores.

All the mages I see now are too busy doing the wildly popular and ever-so-much-fun hotzone daily tasks all day & every day, so that's likely why they have little time to be bothered with raiding, sir or ma'am.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  3. Dre. Altoholic

They left behind the dead weight guilds to go solo the raid content and keep all the drops to themselves.
  4. Beimeith Lord of the Game

If guilds are recruiting them then by definition they must not be all that awful.

Mages are just fine, but you now have to actually put in some effort to play them well. The horror.
  5. Piemastaj Augur

This coming from a Wizard is funny.
  6. Enkel Augur

Some parts are harder due to the fact we are weaker relative to other classes, but I think, from a dps perspective, were much easier than before. The risk/reward factor was lowered, which means we don't put ourselves in "harms" way as much, which, in my opinion, lowered the skill floor and skill ceiling of the class.
  7. Piemastaj Augur

Hold on, you mean being forced to AE DMG events where 90% of them have adds wasn't easy? Always assumed standing in 1 spot nuking while watching Netflix was a more difficult concept.

For real though, it takes less effort to play a Mage now then it ever did before. The adjustments to our core abilities have made us more like Wizards then ever before. And with our pets doing essentially no DPS we get to stand around and twiddle our thumbs like some other classes are allowed to do. Without the same increase in DPS.
  8. Stubar Augur

Sounds to me like mages need moar RF!
  9. Enkel Augur

Back in RoF I actually liked the idea of getting RF (obviously Melee use it 10000 times better), but now that, on raids, or main pet is poop, damage wise (% gained has been very small, and previously expansions was lower than RoF), I don't even dream anymore... But I still totally convinced (bribed) a beast to drop it on me just for giggles once to see, on a raid.
  10. Millianna Augur

I am glad I gave up my mage. I'm sure there is more nerfs on the way - and they'll repurpose the nerfs as something everyone wants.
  11. Cindayen Elder

Why did you make this thread? Mages aren't what they once where, but the only people who quit playing mages are the ones who don't know how without the easy mode options anymore. It's play smart now, not just plow into it and go ham.
  12. Sindaiann Augur

Where did you go?
  13. Sancus Augur

Our previous state being "easy mode" wasn't an argument I was expecting to see in this thread tbh. How does not having to worry about managing AE's with adds require you to play smarter than before?
    Gyurika Godofwar and Vdidar like this.
  14. Brohg Augur

Same spells on a plain multibind being amazeballs for all of efficiency, dps, and damage in nearly all situations, disced/undisced/supported/not, is what could have been described as easy mode.
  15. Sancus Augur

The *only* difference between then and now on raids as far as challenge goes is giving zero about adds. Before you had to be incredibly mindful of not pulling aggro and dying (which was very common - I used to celebrate living through fights like DH 2 and Nek 1). Every Mage that wanted to play well had to transition between different multi binds during the vast majority of events, because being forced to AE if you wanted to have decent single target damage came with a great deal of risk. How many Mages use more than one multibind in raids now (well two if you want to count one without RS)? I'm pretty sure I'm in a very small minority that do, and even then there are *very* few scenarios where it's really beneficial to use anything other than the generic single target lineup (excluding something like an AE trash clear obviously). Is asking the raid leader to swap a bard into your group quickly on long fights really more challenging? I used to have to take risks to put out good DPS, now we're forced to play it safe with *much* less risk while putting out rather mediocre DPS.

I have a hard time believing that any Mage really feels like DPSing is more challenging than it was before. I certainly do not.
  16. Cindayen Elder

I don't raid anymore so I don't know to be honest. I barely play as it is lol. I was just talking about gameplay in general.
  17. Enkel Augur

Both our comments were addressing the same thing, and mine was more concise :p. On a serious note, I do think our class was quite a bit "harder" to play before than it is now. One thing I thought I did well was not die while AEing on raids, while also having the most AE spells cast, dps/damage, etc... - silent casting wasn't up. A lot of really good mages still died trying to push maximum damage (yeah, you can say they weren't good, but then you'd be calling out 99.99% of mages; then you'd be just as elitist as me!!!). Now, our weave doesn't change very much, and I rarely have to swap out spell sets. Yes, mages sometimes had to swap out spell sets.

One thing I always looked at when viewing logs of raiding mages, was if they did well when AEing. A lot of mages, even in high end guilds, failed miserably. Now, it doesn't matter as much, which is sad. We kind of lost a niche.
    Cindayen and Sancus like this.
  18. Yimin Augur

To many nerfs on Mage so I stopped playing mine also , now I am raiding Bst , I find for myself this class much more better for me , maybe this is because in Real Faith I was a raiding Rog , so now can Melee and have powerful pet and great dps , this makes me more happy ...And also have gone from 6 gold accounts to 1 now ...This is to answer OP,s post HEHE :D

Yi Min
  19. Vdidar Augur

Still love the Mage. It really is a generic single target multi bind outside of a couple of events. I still hate the rain nerf.
    Gyurika Godofwar likes this.
  20. Millianna Augur

Another patch another mage nerf. It appears they lowered pet migation again.