How many of you Dev's think this an enjoyable experience?

Discussion in 'Time Locked Progression Servers' started by doah, May 8, 2016.

1. Dre. Altoholic

Nice catch. Looks like someone forgot to tell the Gnome that only DE chicks are supposed to be dancing on the tables.
  2. Varisath Elder

The idea that you have to have your "Particle Weapon" finished during Kunark is silly.

The Scars of Velious expansion launched on December 6th, 2000.

"Fiery Avenger style quests for all classes" aka "Particle Weapons" aka "Epic Quests" were implemented into the game on the September 19, 2000 patch, just 76 days before Velious launch, less than a Phinigel expansion unlock cycle.

Most people did NOT have their epic finished until well into Velious, where the items were and are still relevant. As a matter of fact, the Monk epic for example, was not completed until just about 20 days before Velious launched, and it was completed first on the Test server no less. Everything I could find only points to around 5 total monk epics completed server-wide before Velious launched.

This is a quote from Absor on or around April 17, 2001, just about 4 months after Velious was released. It seems to me a few of the remaining developers are holding a little bit true to the spirit of Everquest and not completely neutering every single aspect of the game just to appease the casuals.

Literally arguing and fighting over something that has been argued and fought over for 15 years. And the answer is still the same: If you don't want to sit and wait for it, then go do something else.
  3. Varisath Elder

Here is another quote from Absor on or around mid May 2001 regarding Ragefire and the Cleric Epic. Bolded portion inside the quote seems to be part of the original Vision that the current Devs are holding on to.

4. Poydras Augur

Perhaps they should make a special rules server for such people so the unique experience of inaccessible content isn't ruined for people like you.
  5. Quasimojo Elder

I miss The Vision (tm).
    Seraphim likes this.
  6. Pikallo Augur

I don't think you understand what I was saying. In fact, I really like the rules of Phinigel and the accessibility created by things like /pick and raid instancing. I think it is healthy for the server and population as a whole. Even in this particular issue, I'm not against them adjusting spawn times to be more in line with the population.

However, anytime Finley chimes in on an issue, he is advocating for the extreme end of the spectrum to make things as simple and easy possible. If he had his way, every epic mob would spawn on demand, instanced raids would have no lockout, no raid bosses in any expansion would have motm, experience would be twice as fast as live, key quests would be removed entirely, etc etc. All I was trying to say is that those extreme positions tend to stray from the style that makes EQ such a unique experience.
  7. Finley Augur

Literal definition of a straw man right there. I actually was in favor of longer than 6.5 day lockouts on raids. There is a happy medium between what wizards, enchanters, and shadow knights went through for their epics and "spawn on demand" (I don't see anyone but your straw man making this argument) and that happy medium is experienced by pretty much all the other classes which have instances and pickzones to alleviate their bottlenecks.
  8. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

quite possibly the least appropriate quote ever, seeing as how due to player feedback, Ragefire is now triggered and now can be completed twice in under an hour, even without picks.
  9. Pictarous Augur

I love these forums, it's the same 5 people posting and on each other day in and day out
  10. Chanaluss Can spell Doljonijiarnimorinar, Iqthinxa Karnkvi

I have multiple logs of 7+ SKs in toxxulia flipping out because people have been turning in to Marl Kastane before he is even visible. In one case, the theory among the SKs there was that it was the level 1 halfling rogue standing there did the turnin (cant confirm obviously but it is what it is). We're not asking for people to hand us our epic, seeing as how Lhranc is a super entertaining fight (because everyone always underestimates him). We just want this one bastard to not despawn for 2 days once he is given blood or mummy wrappings. Especially since the SK 2.0 is easily replaced in velious, unlike enchanter, wizard, etc.
  11. Taladir Augur

The five bards sitting in Trakanon's lair don't want you to forget about them either.
  12. Pikallo Augur

Wrong. It may be a slight exaggeration, but its not a straw man. Regardless, it got blown out of proportion by the guy above so I felt the need to respond. I respect your opinions, I just don't necessarily agree with them.
  13. Seraphim Augur

Do you mean this??
    [IMG]
    Ugin likes this.
  14. Hasty Blades Journeyman

Absolutely nothing needs to be changed here. Working as intended. You signed up for an over crowded server. Revel in your new found friendships. Remember, it is much more palatable being blocked by 50 people playing 50 characters than by 5 people playing 50 characters. You have the opportunity to have a much more diverse conversation as you wait. Enjoy their company. :)
    Pictarous likes this.
  15. Quasimojo Elder

That's the one. Anyone who played EQ during its first several years knows exactly what I'm talking about.
  16. Frags Journeyman

So according to you, either you suffer by playing on a high populated server, or suffer because of 5 people boxing 50 characters. Why is there no option to play the game and have fun doing it? That is what people are asking for. To be able to play the game, and do content. The bottlenecks are caused by lack of content, not by a difficult challenge.
  17. Finley Augur

Just a troll with sour grapes because his server is a ghost town now.
  18. Frags Journeyman

Hmm so apparently you can't delete a post you make on accident lol. Ignore this one! :)
  19. Pictarous Augur

The man has a point, regardless if you like it or not. Again, I'm just blown away people even spend their time playing a game where the devs say to the public "it's too hard" about fixing certain bugs, and everyone just accepts it.

Obviously the epic bs isn't a bug, just bad design.

But hey once you get that epic you'll be a little bit bigger of a fish in so very very very small of a pond.
  20. Poydras Augur

The server intentionally has instancing both of open world zones based on population and of raid zones on demand, as well as special hardware. These were added and advertised specifically to accommodate much more than usual number of players.